Coopers Community

White sugar or dry malt

Hi brewers' date='

Making a twist on a Belgian tripel and I know the recipe says use white sugar or Belgian candi sugar. but everything in me says use dry malt what do you guys think should I or shouldn't I?

Cheers and happy homebrewing

Kye[/quote']

It would be easier to answer your question if you posted your recipe Kye. Sometimes there is sugar in there for a good reason. High gravity brews in particular sometimes benefit from some sugar.

Cheers,

Christina.

Molasses tripel (kinda)

1.7 kg 86 days pilsner

1.5 kg Light Lme

500g white sugar or DME

500g molasses

11.5g safbrew EB-256

And maybe some Hallertauer (tradition) not too sure on them yet either or how much to add. it's a extract version of one I saw on YouTube but they used malted wheat grain. I don't like wheat beer so I changed it to light LME. Also if there was a better pilsner tin I would be open to suggestions.

Cheers

Kye

I've never used it but I looked up Candi Sugar when I saw it mentioned a few weeks ago.

From reading this I would say that if you use white sugar or malt the taste will not be as it should. I'm only guessing though.

Candi sugar is a Belgian sugar commonly used in brewing, especially in stronger, Belgian beers such as dubbel and tripel.[1] Chemically, it is an unrefined sugar beet which was an object to Maillard reaction and caramelization. A common misconception is to consider this is the same as invert sugar while actual candi sugar is a subject of multiple complicated chemical reactions happening during Maillard process.[2]

Also used as a priming sugar, to aid in bottle-conditioning and carbonation, with the same benefits as listed above.

Yea I found that aswell graculus but I also found that when you can't get it they replaced it with white cane sugar. And of course I've looked everywhere and can't find it hahaha. I also think because I'm using molasses it won't matter but no to sure.

Cheers

Molasses? There are many kinds. Which kind does the recipe call for? Molasses contains quite a lot of iron; the darker the molasses, the more iron. I've used Fancy molasses a few times and all I could taste was rust. crying I don't use molasses anymore.

I see that Coopers Extra Smooth Bitter recipe calls for 200gm of molasses. That might be a safer amount to use, but suit yourself. I most certainly don't want to rain on your parade.

That yeast you have planned is new to me, but I gather it is an abbey yeast. Some abbey yeast can throw phenolic notes. Does this one? I only ask because you say you don't like wheat beers. Do you know why you don't like wheat beers? Is it the wheat or the yeast? I don't like European wheat beers either, but it is because of the yeast and not the wheat. I like American wheat beers just fine, since they use clean yeast.

Cheers,

Christina.

Yea I found that aswell graculus but I also found that when you can't get it they replaced it with white cane sugar. And of course I've looked everywhere and can't find it hahaha. I also think because I'm using molasses it won't matter but no to sure.

Cheers

I think the discussion I was reading said it was expensive.

You could try making it.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+make+Belgian+candi+sugar&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=m7F2WcfwNcTu8weY7r3wBQ

Jp I looked some recipes up and I'm pretty interested let me know how you go.

Christina, I was thinking about using the one with the honey brand from woollies just to start not sure of the brand new but I think it's on the mild side. And the molasses is the twist I'm putting on it so nothing in the recipe. And it's definitely the wheat I can't stand any wheat beer. It is a new Belgian ale strain of dry abbey. I did want to use wlp500 but can't get liquid yeast where I am and don't want to freight it. Might drop the molasses to about 300g to start and see what it's like

Cheers

Kye

Candi sugar is a Belgian sugar commonly used in brewing' date=' especially in stronger, Belgian beers such as dubbel and tripel.[1'] Chemically, it is an unrefined sugar beet which was an object to Maillard reaction and caramelization. A common misconception is to consider this is the same as invert sugar while actual candi sugar is a subject of multiple complicated chemical reactions happening during Maillard process.[2]

Really??? Sounds like Marketing speak to me to stop people from making it at home. Candi sugar is a belgian sugar?? Like Australian Broccoli v New Zealand Broccoli?

Just normal run of the mill white sugar. Cover with water in a pot with a candi thermometer. Bring it up to 140c stirring all the while. Hold it at 140c using a spoon of water every 2 mins or so to keep it at 140. Do that till you get the colour you want. It will take a while to get dark candi sugar. If you want it hard then bring it up to hard crack @ 154c ish. Then pour straight away into a tray to cool and harden. Best way in my opinion though is when you have the colour you want at 140 pour some water in (about a third of a cup to 500gm of sugar) and you have belgian/australian candi syrup. Can just pour that in a jar. Much easier to work with than the hard stuff.

Acid is usually used in the process as well. I found this write up on how to make it at home as well' date=' might try it one day just for shits and giggles.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/make-belgian-candi-sugar/[/quote']

Yeah forgot to mention that. A pinch of citric acid I use as well :-)

Also one thing I found is dont go too hard with it. I did a Tripel with 750gm candi syrup in an 11L batch and it was too much. It ran a touch under 9% ABV but you could taste the alcohol. Did a Quad which ran to 10% with 500gm syrup and the alcohol note was much less pronounced. Silent but deadly is the way to go with the Belgian trappist types.

Let me know how the BE-256 goes too. Im a big fan of the chimay wyeast 1214 yeast but would like to know what type of beer the dry yeast throws.

.................... And of course I've looked everywhere and can't find it hahaha. .............

Cheers

Hey Kye

Craft Brwer have heaps of it' date=' liquid and solid.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=5324

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2952

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=11

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Why is it that you find the syrup is easier to deal with Greeny?

JP,

I found that despite best efforts (using a fair bit of icing sugar) the clumps after I broke the block of candi sugar still stuck together in the bag/container I used to hold it. It made measuring it out a pain. I also like to add the sugar very late in the boil (10 mins to go) and the syrup blended in easier rather than rocks rattling around. Some I am told use it in a secondary to get the yeast to attenuate further. I haven't tried that one yet but I will give it a go at some stage. I am thinking syrup is easier to work with in that aspect as well. The syrup consistency is akin to Liquid malt with a third of a cup of water.

Greeny

I see.

I have a workaround suggestion, something that I'll actually try when I get around to doing this.

Have your chosen vessel ready for pouring into, on digital kitchen scales, set to zero obviously, and pour to whatever portion you like.

Depending on how much you want to store, at a minimum I might do a 500g, a 250g, and a 100g.

Just an idea.

Cheers

JP

Archived