Coopers Community

brewing in coopers stubbys

Polky

If you plan to use glass bottles, it's vital that FG is achieved prior to bottling and the correct priming rate 8g/l is used.

Use bottles that are designed for refilling - any bottles with a twist-top or carrying the words "NO REFILL" should not be used.

If you plan to use glass bottles, it's vital that FG is achieved prior to bottling and the correct priming rate 8g/l is used.

Use bottles that are designed for refilling - any bottles with a twist-top or carrying the words "NO REFILL" should not be used.

Paul, I've been using twist-tops for over a year now with no problems! [roll]

I've been using twist-tops for over a year now with no problems!

Yet...[whistling

Meaning what? Beers don't last any longer than 3-4 weeks in our house! Or do you mean they have a limited recycling life?

Bottles, intended for single-use, generally have a twist-top thread and/or carry the words "NO REFILL". Single use bottles tend not to be made of as much glass material and are more likely to fail due to being knocked about (the smallest of knocks can compromise) and/or overpressure.

i was using the old hand capper and hammer method before i got a bench capped and one shattered completely in my hand while capping. It was not a twist top but.

I have since been safely capping with a bench capper, twist tops and all. I think paul is just not recomending it, but to each their own.

Polky, for many years I refilled 'no refill' stubbies, but have the following advice;

1 Use a bench capper only, as Paul says they tend to be a bit on the thin side.

2 move to long necks as soon as you can (buy yourself some Coopers longies because they are thicker and back to crown seals) because washing 30 long necks only takes a little over half the time of washing 60 stubbies, and lets face it, when you are only allowed to have one or two drinks a night, you may as well make them a decent size, and

3 move to kegs as soon as you can, because cleaning 1 keg is a lot quicker than 30 long necks, and beer on tap is awesome.

It took me around 12 years to make the move to kegs and I wish I had done it a lot sooner [biggrin]

In all seriousness - go the long necks - storage space, time and effort, they are a lot better in the long run

Cheers

J

Hi Polky,

I'm with Jason and Paul. I used Coopers stubbies and some new unused twist tops for a while. I make a batch of Mexican Cervesa for my student (read poor) daughter every few months because she likes beer as much as her dad.

I used the Coopers stubbies for a while but even with a bench capper I was very wary. I am very careful with my priming but have had a few failures with the new twist tops.

Last weekend I culled all my Coopers stubbies and remaining now not new twist tops. Filled the recycle bin, sounded like we had had a good party when it was emptied into the truck.

Now I use only Coopers long necks, I like the stout best, and dare I say it I also use James Squire stubbies. The JS stubbies seem to have thicker glass and are not twist tops.

Eventually I will only be using the Coopers long necks. It will be a pleasant task to knock over the stout.

Having said all that take Pauls advice seriously and be very particular about your priming and the final gravity of your brew.

I'm coming into the party a little late, but tonight I snapped the top off of a non refillable bottle. I have been using twist and crown style non refillable bottles for about 10 batches. I've broken about 6 bottles capping and one opening it tonight (it was a brand I've never re-filled before and exceptionally thin) I'm currently trying to move my bottling to swing tops and PET

Alot of Crown seal bottles (heineken is one that does) carry the "no refill" label now. Also never had any problems with them...yet. It would give me a great excuse to move to kegs though.....[innocent]

This has been an interesting thread.

I used to brew in PET bottles only, but have moved to glass, as they tend to keep the fizz...

My daughter bought me a bench capper last year (woo!) and since then I have recycled Coopers bottles with 100% success. I think priming with carb drops and not filling to the brim (my level is usually at the base of the neck), coupled with an excellent capper has met with great success.

I agree that longnecks are best, but are hard to come by (I only have 12 at last count...) but I have also found that the $2 glass flip top bottles from Go-Lo are as good as Grolschies....1litre/vol.

Matt

P.S. I can understand Paul/Cooper's indemnifying themselves against potential lawsuits from exploding glass...

P.S. I can understand Paul/Cooper's indemnifying themselves against potential lawsuits from exploding glass...

More than that, Matt. I have access to new twist-top bottles, as you might imagine, but I don't use them. Mind you, I also would never parachute jump out of a serviceable aircraft.

Archived