Coopers Community

Six Days

Scottie

This is my longest Alcohol Free Days stretch, barring sickness, in over 10 years. It is part of my July commitment to only have a beer (probably 4 or more) on Saturday's throughout July.

Not that I have a drinking problem, six days has been pretty easy. I don't think drinking beer in moderation is an issue perse, rather due to the great taste of the home brew that we create I find it hard to stop at two standard drinks, e.g. I can never successfully say "I'll have just one beer".

Looking at the fate of some forum members over the years I certainly don't want to find myself in a situation years from now where the doctor says "No more beer".

If I can lose a few inches of my waistline during July and learn to have restraint then I will be happy. Then with a modified drinking pattern in August and September I can get my body in good shape for this year's cricket season.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Good on you Scottie!

I've found it a bit hard too after getting back into brewing, there's just so much beer here that I practically can't walk around the house without tripping over it. Not putting it in the fridge unless I know I'm having a couple that night seems to help. Got a rule now, 2 tallies max, and I try to keep it to 2 nights a week, unless I'm on holidays.

If you exercise in the morning, then you have a good reason not to drink the night before too.

Cheers!

Good job. I've been working on the "new" car and after several hours of knuckle-scarring work covered in grease and dirt, plus the car was bought off backpackers and full of red dust, the smell of which reminds me of the outback, I find it very hard to resist the temptation of a pint or two at the end of the day lately.

But when I first saw your thread my mind completed it with "...on the road and I'm gonna make it home tonight."

Well done Scottie.

I too had my first AFD's for a while this week. I only managed 4 though.

That's how it'll be for a few weeks. I was going for 5, but it didn't happen.

I still think 4 is a good start. I had 3 on Friday and 4 yesterday. 330mls that is.

Cheers Guys

I rewarded myself yesterday with four (standard drinks) of my 2011 ESVA, and three of my Accidental Mosaic. It was like a binge, I opened my 640ml bottle of ESVA at 15:50 and had my last Mosaic at around 20:00.

Now to reset for the rest of the week sideways

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Ditto, second week in a row.

Celebrated my success with a couple of Dead Man's Revenge Black IPAs at Customs house for lunch yesterday and a couple of Accidental Mosaics during the Footy.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Big challenge to finish the month strong with a couple of B'Days approaching, this week and next bandit

The streak came to an end on Wednesday.

It was bound to you can't have a pub meal without a beer. So for me it was two Cascade Pale Ales.

Three days and then two days. Still planning to celebrate DWHAHB this afternoon, even though my Daughter's 21st is next Thursday, at least that will be four days.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Well done Scottie. Remember winning streaks are there to be broken.

I only managed 3, Monday to Wednesday. Then had a couple of beers on Thursday.

I think 3 is my goal for the next few weeks now.

One problem I have is that I work until 9 on every other Wednesday and every Thursday.

By the time I get home I just feel like something to eat, but not too much. A bit of cold meat, cheese and some shallots goes down nicely....... with a beer.

Well done Scottie. Remember winning streaks are there to be broken.

I only managed 3' date=' Monday to Wednesday. Then had a couple of beers on Thursday.

I think 3 is my goal for the next few weeks now.

One problem I have is that I work until 9 on every other Wednesday and every Thursday.

By the time I get home I just feel like something to eat, but not too much. A bit of cold meat, cheese and some shallots goes down nicely....... with a beer.[/quote']

1500710853_15_442.png

I've been challenged by my wife to see if I can go without a beer for two weeks. Today is the start of day six. It's actually been very easy to do,as I have a goal in mind to lean down 1-1.5kg to increase my speed and efficiency when climbing Hills on the road bike.

The hardest part is not being able.to sample my bottle conditioned brews! I have my stone IPA partial mash ready to try and it was tasting great throughout the fermentation and at bottling day.

I'm stockpiling quite a bit of beer! I have half a batch of zombie dust citra Pale ale, this untouched batch of stone IPA and two batches in the fermenting fridge, dry hopping atm. Should be ready to bottle after the week long cold.crash.

May have to take a leaf out of headmasters book and give away a portion of my beer so that I can keep brewing. I can't drink this much!

Well done joolbag.

I've given up for Dry July a couple of times and a couple of years ago when I was unemployed I gave up for 5 months.

I'm happy with my 3 day break every week at the moment, but if I were challenged by someone I know I could give it up for a month no problem.

Good luck with the challenge Jools.

My July

So far:

21 Alcohol Free days

Beer day 1 - 640ml HB ESVA - 3 375ml glasses of HB Accidental Mosaic

Beer day 2 - 2 stubbies deadman's revenge black IPA and two 374ml HB Accidental Mosaic

Beer day 3 - 2 stubbies of Cascade Pale Ale

Beer day 4 - 2 cans of Pl Pale Ale - 2 440ml glasses of HB Session Ale (2.9% ABV)

Beer day 5 - 1 440ml glass of HB Session Ale (2.9%)

Beer day 6 - 2 stubbies Cascade Pale Ale

Beer day 7 - 3 x 440ml glasses of HB Session IPA (3.9%)

Forecast is for more (probably two with the footy) beer today and then I should be able to shut up shop for the rest of July, and push on with a run of 5 AFDs.

There has been no noticeable change in my waistline but I have developed some ample muscle in my quads from the hours of stationary bike that I've been putting in. Pre season commenced next Friday.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I work 4 (12 hr shifts) on 4 off roster 1 block of day shift the next is nightshift.

I used to drink every day i wasnt working nightshift and it could be up to 8 cans of mid strength megaswill. After our 3 week outback camping trip we went on lite n easy and i eased up on my beer consumption. I now only drink after my last day shift of the week and on my days off and cut that down to 2 or 3 megaswills. Still on the megaswill as my brew has only been in the fermenter since Wednesday and i also need to stock up on bottles.

Ive slimmed down a bit 10kgs so far since end of May.

Anyway good work to anyone dropping consumption for a challenge or health reasons.

We aim for 2 or 3 AFDs each week, limit of a tallie each on a school night, otherwise 2 each.

Friday is our social night at the Wheaty, which also serves to try different beers, then home for dinner and a beer. Or two. And maybe a glass of red. Or two...

Great work chaps! Im a week in and I really, really wanted a beer after completing a hilly 78km bike ride today. I held out as I am a stubborn, but determined person!

Will do a weigh in tomo morning to see if I have dropped closer to my optimum weight for power to weight ratio. Next week's Stone IPA clone is going to taste sooooooo sweet and rewarding

• 2 weeks later...

Last drink I would have had would have been back on Sunday evening 30th July, so that would be what 10 days now? For the last week every time I open the fridge I can see the 10 or so Pirate Life cans and Prancing Pony bottles that my brother-in-law brought back from Adelaide for me. So that's certainly a bit of a temptation!

I really don't know why you guys torture yourselves. lol

I work a lot of nights, so can't drink before my shifts, thus I have days where no alcohol is consumed.

However if you are a worker that works regular day shifts, & arrives home at the same time every work day prior to dinner, it's just a matter of a few nights a week, going for a walk with the dog, or playing with the kids before tea, or playing a sport once or twice a week to break up the drinking.

I enjoy the beer I brew & having a beer in general, but it's really not that hard to have a day off here & there.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I really don't know why you guys torture yourselves. lol

In this case' date=' meds. Normally, I'm with you on the drinking in moderation with a couple of nights off a week just ... well just doing something other than having a beer!

[/quote']

In your case John.... I pity you! tonguelol

biggrin

Cheers & good brewing Reggie Miller (injured), tongue

Lusty.

Good One Hairy biggrin

Torture Lusty unsure

My daughter did ask me why I felt the need to count them. It is a dilemma, beer is supposedly good in moderation, authorities advise at least 2 AFDs per week, Ales tend to behigher in carbs, and I love beer especially (like you Lusty) the beer that I brew.

Anyway this week I've has 1 AFD, and on the other days 2 440ml glasses of my 2.9% session ale. 2.9% isn't that and AFD bandit

As for the weight and prep for cricket training, I wouldn't say that I',m overweight as such, just two small love handles and middle age spread that I want to be in control of. Having said that cutting out the beer for all those days in July did SFA to improve this. Clearly I found other ways to consume carbs.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Archived