Coopers Community

Hibiscus Ale 2017

Hi All,

Recently did my first Hibiscus Ale (pic attached) using Rosella fruit from our bushes. Rosella's are part of the Hibiscus family for those unaware. We generally grow them to make jam.

But this year I put some aside and pureed it and did up a real light ale using pilsner, vienna & a little carapils and threw 640grams of pureed fruit in at flameout. I also added a squeeze of honey to balance the tartness of the rosella. I used 10grams of Magnum just to add a small amount of bitterness. The rosella fruit add an amazing colour to the beer. Specs were 17 IBU and 6.5% ABV.

The result has been pretty good. A light ale that lets the rosella shine through. To some it has a cider like experience, others say is a very light sour style. To me it’s a very light sour style, which is quite refreshing. Next year I'll do an IPA with them.

Anyone else played with Rosella Fruit in a brew before?

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 1

Anyone else played with Rosella Fruit in a brew before?

=

Yes' date=' I have made a Rosella Saison a few times and really like it.[/quote']

A Saison/Farmhouse was an obvious direction with the rosellas. But I'm not a big funky yeast lover.

Next brew will be a blood orange pale ale. Am securing some pure blood orange juice and will drop it in at flame-out. Will do a simple pale ale using maris otter, vienna and a little carapils again.

I used hibiscus tea in hard apple cider once. I made several batches of hard apple cider in different ways a couple of years ago. It turns out I am not a fan of hard apple cider, but did like the hibiscus one the best.

"Based on previous studies, the percentage of organic acids in “hibisci flos” varies: hibiscus acid accounts for 13–24%, citric acid 12–20%, malic acid 2–9%, tartaric acid 8% and 0.02–0.05% of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) (Eggensperger & Wilker, 1996; Schilcher, 1976)."

"5.3.2. Hibiscus acid

(Fig. 1) is the lactone form of (+)-allo-hydroxycitric acid. It compromises a citric acid moiety with an additional hydroxyl group at the second carbon and has two diastereomers due to the existence of two chiral centers in the molecule (Boll, Sørensen, & Balieu, 1969; Eggensperger & Wilker, 1996; Griebel & Lebensm, 1939, 1942)."

Who knew there was such a thing as hibiscus acid?

Sometimes I wonder if the reason I dislike hard apple cider is because it's main organic acid is malic acid....

Cheers,

Christina.

Sometimes I wonder if the reason I dislike hard apple cider is because it's main organic acid is malic

Malic acid can be quite dry I think... almost seems to remove the liquid from your mouth at times

Yes' date=' I have made a Rosella Saison a few times and really like it.[/quote']

I have been lucky enough to sample Benny's Rosella Saison. What a terrific beer! The colour was sensational I thought. With the right hopping aromatics, it could be quite incredible (IMHO).

With the right push & marketing, I feel this beer style has the potential to be the next evolution of mass produced beer in this country.

You should seriously get talking with a craft brewer about this beer of yours Benny. I feel it has enormous potential. After tasting & looking at yours, I'd do it myself, but I don't have access to the Rosella flowers as you do up north.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Little Bang here in Adelaide make a "Hibiscus Session Sour" called The Pinkening and it is a lovely brew. It is a 3% sour wheat ale with hibiscus in it, and it is a brilliant pink colour.

Nice and tart, quite refeshing so it was a regular for me in summer.

The Blood Orange Pale Ale sounds interesting. Would love to see the finished product :D

Was planning on brewing it on the weekend...but that didn't happen. Hopefully Sunday next week now. As I could decide on whether to do an IPA or Pale Ale' date=' I'll now be splitting the difference and doing an XPA [img']biggrin[/img] Specs will be something like: IBU 37, ABV 5.5%

The blood orange supplier was good enough to also send me a couple extra cartons of the juice because one of the original cartons was ripped. So I'm now weighing up whether to add 4Litres of juice not 3Litres.

Will report back when bottling with a pic of the end result.

Hi Gigantor' date='

Your Rosella Light Ale looks wonderful. Would you mind posting the recipe for it? Not sure if I can find Rosella here in France but will look.

Thanks,

Peggy[/quote']

This is it Alpaca. Can't attached pictures/files anymore here?

Hibiscus Ale 2017

Method: All Grain

Style: Fruit Beer

Boil Time: 60 min

Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)

Boil Size: 28 liters

Boil Gravity: 1.044 (recipe based estimate)

Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.059

Final Gravity: 1.010

ABV (standard): 6.44%

IBU (tinseth): 17.48

SRM (ebcmorey): 8.09

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %

5 kg United Kingdom - Pilsen 36 1.8 73.3%

0.5 kg German - Carapils - (late addition) 35 1.3 7.3%

0.5 kg German - Vienna 37 4 7.3%

0.62 kg Rosella Fruit - (late addition) 6.3 0 9.1%

200 g Honey 42 2 2.9%

6.82 kg Total

Hops

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU

10 g Magnum Pellet 15 Boil 60 min 17.48

Show Summary View

Mash Guidelines

Amount Description Type Temp Time

20 L Infusion 67 C 60 min

12 L Sparge 78 C 20 min

Starting Mash Thickness: 3.5 L/kg

Other Ingredients

Amount Name Type Use Time

1 g 1/2 Whirlfloc Tablet Fining Boil 10 min.

Yeast

Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05 (2 packets)

Fermentation Temp: 18 °C

The Blood Orange Pale Ale sounds interesting. Would love to see the finished product :D

Was planning on brewing it on the weekend...but that didn't happen. Hopefully Sunday next week now. As I could decide on whether to do an IPA or Pale Ale' date=' I'll now be splitting the difference and doing an XPA [img']biggrin[/img] Specs will be something like: IBU 37, ABV 5.5%

The blood orange supplier was good enough to also send me a couple extra cartons of the juice because one of the original cartons was ripped. So I'm now weighing up whether to add 4Litres of juice not 3Litres.

Will report back when bottling with a pic of the end result.

Brewed the blood orange pale ale yesterday. All went well. Wonderful aroma of oranges in the brewhouse yesterday. Ended up doing a 90min boil (not 75mins) and going with 4 x 1Litre of blood orange juice (not 3 x 1Litre). The extra litre will thin the brew slightly but that's OK - this will be somewhat off-set by the longer boil. And a slightly lower ABV and IBU.

The attached pics are (1) wort being strained into my large pot, which then got chilled in a sink full of ice blocks (2) full fermenter in the brew fridge - great brew colour. Can't wait to try the first glass of this brew in 3 or 4 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Bottled the blood orange brew on 4th August and had the first bottle tasting last night. Maybe added a touch too much blood orange juice (added 4 litres - could have only added 2 litres). The brew is quite tasty and very orangy with a slight hint of sourness.

But it's very refreshing just the same and very sessionable at around 5.5% and IBU of around 33. I look forward killing a few more of these across the weekend.

Pic attached of bottling day.

Cheers,

Pete

• 1 year later...

Thanks Christina.  I will have to see what I can find.  I bought a 1L jug of the Jamaica concentrate but it isn't enough for 19L.  After taste testing a sample I need about 1.5L of concentrate for my 19L keg.  

Happy brewing,

Peggy

Sorry everyone I have been gone for quite awhile.  Busy going all grain and building a brew space.

Hey Peggy, 

Building a new space and going all grain? Hey great! Please post a picture of your brew space when it is up and running. 😉

Glad your are back Peggy. The guys are great, but it is nice to have another woman on the forum.

Cheers,

Christina. 

• Like 2