Coopers Community

BrewBQ (or Brew n Q) - for you Kelsey

joolbag

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice one B.B. 

my brother just finished drying his Italian dried sausage last week. So should see some come this way.

Where I live there is a fairly large Italian migrant presence within the community. Each year in winter they get together with their families for pig day. 

After hanging in the sheds for a month or so, everyone seems to have “ding snags” on the menu at barbies and what not. 

Ill post a pic when I get some. 

Captain

Sounds good Captain. 

Where I live there is a fairly large bogan presence. All they do is get together and drink crap beer..........................?

Making some dried sausage is definitely on my to do list which reminds me I have to get that book mentioned earlier in the thread..

BB

Where I live there's a bit of a feral presence, but I'm not sure what they do other than carry on like idiots at the bus stops out the front at all hours of the day and night. Glad to be moving out of here in less than 6 months.

Anyway, I have a piece of pork loin currently in the cure, has been since Friday and will be removed tomorrow night to rest in the fridge overnight and be smoked Saturday arvo. It's been a bit busy around here lately and so I ended up having to buy some bacon to tie us over until this lot was made, the difference is stark. I much prefer my home made stuff.

I used to make sausages all the time but haven't done it for a while. I used to make a decent tandoori chicken sausage but my other results were mixed.

I have a sausage recipe book from the US that includes possum sausages and other roadkill varieties. I never got around to making those.

Smoking a pork loin that has been cured for bacon tomorrow and have a hunk of beef shoulder that I am going to smoke, then wrap with some extra bits n pieces for a pulled beef dish that can be used for sandwiches, ragu, tacos/burritos, etc!  Good weekend ahead!

Smoking up some bacon today, been a right pain in the arse. I can't seem to find any decent charcoal lately, it's either too small or not hardwood even though it says it is, so I've struggled to keep the temp above 70 degrees. The first bag I bought was the best so far, good sized pieces and burned well. The rest have been shit, burning out too fast or losing heat etc. 

The meat got to 57 but that's as far as I've got. Now lighting more charcoal and gonna remove the water bowl when I put it in to try to get it up to temp. Been going about 5 hours already. If that doesn't work I'll throw it in the oven to finish off.

??

18 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Smoking up some bacon today, been a right pain in the arse. I can't seem to find any decent charcoal lately, it's either too small or not hardwood even though it says it is, so I've struggled to keep the temp above 70 degrees. The first bag I bought was the best so far, good sized pieces and burned well. The rest have been shit, burning out too fast or losing heat etc. 

The meat got to 57 but that's as far as I've got. Now lighting more charcoal and gonna remove the water bowl when I put it in to try to get it up to temp. Been going about 5 hours already. If that doesn't work I'll throw it in the oven to finish off.

??

Hey Kelsey try Firebrand briquettes. They do sell them direct, but freight might be a bit exorbitant. Very pure, not like the Heat Beads shit and they burn hot and consistent. 

I use them for most of my low and slow using the snake method and I use lump charcoal (gidgee) for high heat grilling and if I need to get heat up in the smoker quickly.

Here's my efforts from the weekend. Bacon smoked on Friday and sliced today.

Beef chuck smoked then wrapped in a foil pouch with half a bottle of my robust porter in there. Chopped/shredded and mixed with the braising liquid. Protein for the next few meals!

98DA949D-F49F-4FC9-B7B2-FF1C9E0D5FA9.jpeg

A71706D3-7162-4AED-8FE8-A2DA6EE02026.jpeg

66939AA0-285E-4C0A-9A91-CE8D161D6E85.jpeg

5300CFD2-C1E8-4B7E-9D07-A350001473AA.jpeg

11 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I think it was just a crap brisket. I usually cook them alright. Well that’s what I told the wife and kids?

Most likely BB.  I';ve bought cheaper briskets before and they have always turned out drier than the better quality ones (Cape Grim top of my list for pasture fed beef).

For me, i'll pay the extra $2-4/kg for the premium stuff - esp when it's such an expensive and long cook with a crowd to please and feed!

Archived