Coopers Community

BrewBQ (or Brew n Q) - for you Kelsey

joolbag

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

7 days is too long for a belly. It probably only needs 3-4 at the most, it's not very "tall" so it won't take as long for the cure to penetrate all the way through. That's probably why it's way too salty.

Thanks Kelsey 

I've dry cured 8 days and it wasn't a problem. This was a pretty things piece of belly too.

I wet cured a bit of pork leg for ham recently. My second attempt. I forgot to take the skin off and that made a difference. The cure didn't owner rate to the middle. So I have ham and roast pork slices.

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

When I did my leg ham I left it in the cure for two weeks. It was only a small one about 2.5kg though. Cured right through it and was a rather deep shade of pink. Beautiful ham.

Kelsey do you think if you injected that ham you could have shortened the cure time? Not that it really matters, just interested.

Captain

I’ll be doing more bacon in the next week. Even though my first attempt was REALLY salty it is almost gone. I had it on toast with a poached egg every morning. I’ll only leave it in the wet cure for 3-4 days this time and drop the salt a little. My last piece of belly was only about 1-1.5 cms thick so I’ll hunt for a much thicker piece. 

BB

On 6/27/2018 at 5:49 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Where'd you get it from? I find butchers usually have better cuts than say a supermarket. If you can't find a thicker belly, you can make bacon from loin as well. Personally I prefer the loin because you get more meat and less fat.

All the butchers I have around me and that I have checked out are average. 

Below is the best piece I could find. 

Kelsey, I scaled your recipe and went with the following with my 1 kilo piece. 

20 grams of curing salt

120 grams of salt

3 litres of water

Ill leave it in the cure for 4 days then leave for 1 day in the fridge rinsed and uncovered and smoke until 65 degrees. 

What do you think??

BB

8699CF50-329A-4A6C-A559-E7EED094A442.jpeg

Shame about the butchers. Mine usually stocks better stuff than the supermarket. I did one belly and it was definitely more meat than fat. It turned out nicely but I like the bigger pieces I get from using loin.

I'd add sugar to that cure as well. It doesn't make the bacon sweet but it does offset the salt so you don't end up with something like your last attempt. I think for one kilo mine is 175g salt, about 110g sugar and 20ish grams of curing salt. It works well. 

57 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Shame about the butchers. Mine usually stocks better stuff than the supermarket. I did one belly and it was definitely more meat than fat. It turned out nicely but I like the bigger pieces I get from using loin.

I'd add sugar to that cure as well. It doesn't make the bacon sweet but it does offset the salt so you don't end up with something like your last attempt. I think for one kilo mine is 175g salt, about 110g sugar and 20ish grams of curing salt. It works well. 

I made your changes but could only get 80 grams of brown sugar. That’s all the wife had. 

Thanks

No worries mate, it'll still do the trick. I know it sounds a bit counterintuitive to add sugar to something that's meant to be salty, but it works. I've done a number of batches of bacon and also a couple of hams using that cure mix and they've all turned out really well, except ones that I didn't leave in the cure long enough like the last one, the taste is fine but there's a white patch in the middle of most of the slices. ?

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

I think I need to buy a slicer now because this is definitely a permanent thing

Yep, makes it much easier. Takes me about 5-10 minutes to slice it up. My usual plan is to let it cool after smoking, cut the skin off and then refrigerate it overnight before slicing the next day. I find it slices cleaner when it's cold.

Mixed up a cure for my next lot of bacon. Using a 1.45kg piece of loin this time, so made up about 260g salt, 160g dark brown sugar and 30g curing salt in about 3.5-4L of water. It's coming to the boil on the stove currently, and I'll leave it to cool to room temp and stick it in the fridge tonight with the loin going into it tomorrow for a week (based on the height/thickness of the meat, not the weight). Love home made bacon!

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived