Coopers Community

BrewBQ (or Brew n Q) - for you Kelsey

joolbag

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bacon was a big hit with the wife and kids and it was even better sliced on the father in laws slicer. It went very quick so the plan is to do 2 next time. 

Preperations are also underway to start getting meat every week so I can spend a whole day making various types of sausages on my annual leave. 

Chicken, cheese and bacon

Lamb, Rosemary and garlic

Beef and bacon

Beer Baron

I have to mix up a cure for the next lot of bacon. I gave Dad his lot on Tuesday although did save a small amount of it for us. It will be smoked next Saturday when I also do a brew day but this time it'll be a standard brew rather than the epic reiterated mash brew that I did on a smoking day. That was a big day. 

14 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Flavour 

Ok. I’ve tried to make chicken sausage many times and couldn’t get the things from being as dry as a cardboard box. So much so that I’ve basically given up. 

I thought about adding duck fat but it’s really not the flavour I’m after.

The one thing I haven’t tried too much is meal/breadcrumbs. I put some in but probably not enough according to a butcher I know. 

Maybe I’ll just chuck a ship load of crumbs in and see if it makes it a bit better.

28 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

The one thing I haven’t tried too much is meal/breadcrumbs.

NO, don't do it. pork fat is what you want.

Get a book called charcuterie by Ruhlman, it has great recipes and information for all forms of smallgoods. He has a great chicken sausage in there and i have made it and it is well juicy, no breadcrumbs... you do not need filler

Thanks Ben, 

Ill look that up and order. 

Ive resisted against meal because I’m thinking surely there’s a better way. 

Im so going to do some Italian dried sausage next winter. My brother makes this with his in laws and their family sausage is amazing. No one knows their recipe though. Bloody Italians and keeping their recipe a secret. Ha ha ha

Question. Mainly for anyone with a bullet smoker. Regarding cleaning it, obviously the grill plates and water bowl need cleaning but what about the general inside surfaces? Do you clean them as well or just allow them to build up with soot etc.? I cleaned pretty well all of it the first time, but this time so far just the grill used and the water bowl.

Not after every use, but yes it does need cleaning from time to time.  Soot build up takes the shine away as well as heat reflection, use a plastic scraper when soot builds up or maybe a soft scour.  Never leave detergent on it, always rinse away any cleaning compounds.  If you get a lot of grease and soot build up, just wait for your neighbor to go off for the weekend and clean it in his yard. Or HERS! as the case may be.

I cooked some pork ribs the other day and they were awesome. I can tell how they rate on the awesomeness scale by how much I think about them in the few days after consumption. I thought about them a fair bit. I will add more sauce when unwrapped next time and the only downside was a slight lack of flavour in the meat itself. I was thinking about a 24 hour brine next time to add a hint of saltiness. 

Any tips??

5698D5D9-D24D-489D-AC84-A4C32F882D2C.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Looks the goods there B.B. 

Silly question time.....

Can you smoke meats in a standard old school Weber?

I use mine for smoking, fitted a temperature gauge to the lid.

• 3 weeks later...

Hahah. Mine doesn't usually last a hell of a long time either. I didn't get a chance to get more going before the last lot ran out so I did buy some from the butcher (just the stuff they make there I think) to supplement in the meantime. Actually not too bad, I prefer mine but it's still a lot nicer than the packaged stuff found in supermarkets etc.

7 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

did my loin dry cured @Otto Von Blotto and it worked really well.no boiling of anything

Just following the recipe in the charcuterie book mate, not sure what the boiling is for but anyway. Although I obviously leave it in there longer than two days like it says. Maybe their loins are different but it never fully penetrates in two days. 

Archived