Coopers Community

BrewBQ (or Brew n Q) - for you Kelsey

joolbag

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering whether I'll need to do that too... mind you, the size of the piece of leg isn't a whole lot bigger than the loins I make bacon from (it's only 2.6kg) so it might be fine just sitting for 8-10 days in the brine. This is more than double the length of time I cure my bacon, which takes 3 days. There's only gonna be 8 people here on Xmas day so I figured a smaller sized ham would be the go, rather than making 5kg+ that'd take a million years to get through.

My first bacon also had that slither of roast pork in the middle due to not leaving it in the brine long enough. Left it an extra day on the next lot and that solved the issue.

Turned the ham over a couple of times in the last few days, it's definitely firming up. The plan is to take it out of the brine on Friday to rinse, boil and smoke it for 5 or 6 hours. Still deciding whether or not to do a glaze for it on Xmas day itself which I'll just do in the oven. Probably should. I'll consult the book for a glaze recipe and process.

rinse' date=' boil and smoke it for 5 or 6 hours. [/quote']

Boil?

I have not done that, I just hot smoke like the bacon.

The recipe I was following does it, probably because it spends 2 weeks in the brine instead of only a few days, just helps drive some of the salt out. They don't leave it in the fridge overnight either, just pull from.the hot water, Pat dry and smoke it for a few hours. I'll see how it turns out, next time I'll do the same long cure and boil but might leave it in the fridge overnight that time and see if it makes any difference.

I gotta do another loin next week, but that one will be turned into bacon.

My Christmas ham came out a treat. First time making a ham and just did a small one rather than a full leg. Decided to do a honey maple glaze on it on Xmas day itself as well which turned out well.

I can't remember the exact weights of the salt etc. in the brine but the leg sat in it for about 10 days and came out looking like this

1514447442_96_533.jpg

After that it was rinsed off, and placed in boiling water where it simmered for around 10 minutes. I cut a slither off to taste at this point; it tasted somewhat like corned beef from the pickling spice but the salt was just right. It then came out of this simmer and went straight into the smoker.

1514447523_61_667.jpg

It was smoked with Hickory chips for about 4.5-5 hours until it reached about 64C internal temp.

1514447576_09_66.jpg

After it cooled down, I cut the skin off and then stored the ham in the fridge until Xmas day. A bit after lunchtime (we were having more of a late lunch/early dinner thing), I mixed up a glaze with maple syrup, honey and brown sugar. I took the ham out and scored some somewhat uneven diamond shapes into the fat, then brushed a liberal amount of the glaze over the ham and placed it in the oven set to about 180C, applying more glaze once every 25 minutes. This is how it looked after the first 25

1514447761_05_12.jpg

It baked for about 100 minutes, and before the last stint in the oven I tipped the rest of the glaze all over it. It came out looking like this

1514447837_21_926.jpg

This ham was a hit with everyone who tried it, pretty well all saying it was the best they'd eaten in years. I had to agree with them, and it definitely turned out better than I would have expected it to, given it was my first attempt at making a ham from scratch. The glaze was perfect and complimented the smoke and salt of the ham nicely.

The cure had well and truly penetrated all the way through the pork so no problems there, and there wasn't much left of it after Xmas day lol

1514448011_61_310.jpg

I'll definitely be making more hams, and not just for Xmas feasts. Absolutely beautiful.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 2 weeks later...

Smoked another batch of bacon last Friday. Hickory again, for about 4 hours. This time I added about 250mL of maple syrup to the curing brine instead of sugar. While the brine itself smelt and tasted sweeter than previous ones, it has only lent a very slight flavor to the bacon which is hardly even noticeable, so next time I might increase the amount of syrup to 350mL to try to get more of its flavor into the final product.

The loin was left in the cure for 3 days and has a really tiny piece of white centre where the cure didn't quite reach, however it was a thicker loin than I've used in the past. Will have to adjust curing times depending on the thickness of meat methinks. Overall though, really happy with the outcome and getting more consistent with it too as I've worked out the optimum salt amounts to give the flavor I'm looking for, and just change them up depending on the weight of the meat.

Will have to make some more ham soon too, still got some left from Xmas but it's pretty well all gone now.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 1 month later...

Hey Kelsey and Ben10, I finally bit the bullet and cured and smoked my own bacon! phwoar, the flavour is phenomenal! I can't believe I took so long to do this given I've had the set up for years!

Thanks for the tips.

I loved it so much that I bought two pork bellies from Harris Farm and chose pieces with good ratio and layering of fat to meat to cure. I will smoke these next Friday. Since I am going to bring out the big smoker, I thought why not buy a 3kg let of pork for $3.99/kg and cure that up too!

Am going to use a wet brine for the ham, probably cure it 8 days. Not planning to inject first time around, just a good, solid cure.

Bacon will be the dry cure in a vac seal bag, flipped every day. Will add aromatics to this batch for a bit of extra zing.

+1 for nitrites!

Excellent stuff mate! I wish I'd gotten into it earlier too now that I know how easy it actually is, and how much better than store bought stuff it tastes. The only one I've found that comes close to my home made bacon is the stuff from the British Bacon and Sausage Company.

I've been using pork loins for my bacon and just did another ham with one as well. I always use the wet cure with them and I'll have to leave them sitting in the cure longer for the bacon in future because I think it hasn't been penetrating properly into the middle of the meat, and while it's still pink and the flavor is fine, it's quite flimsy rather than firm like it should be. These loins are thicker cuts though.

I smoked the ham on Monday, but haven't glazed it yet. Maybe doing that today. It sat in the cure for about 10 days, and was then removed, rinsed off, boiled for a short period to drive out some of the salt and then straight into the smoker for 3 hours. Turned out really well so the glaze will just be the icing on the cake really. The one I did at Xmas went down a treat. Not really much different of a process from making bacon actually.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 2 weeks later...

I really should post the photos, but it's such a PITA since Photobucket blocked third party usage of pics! It's simply too much of a faff to send from phone to PC to upload to forum. I haven't signed up for imgur or similar. I just want a simple way to post from my phone to an account that I can copy URLs to and put in my posts on here. *sigh*

The bacon is going great, I've done three so far. Basic dry cure for a pilot batch, smoked in the Weber.

It went well, so I went large - a 3.5kg pork leg cured for 8 days in a wet brine for ham. Then glazed with Dijon mustard, brown sugar and garlic whilst on the smoker.

I also did two pork belly pieces, about 1.4kg each. One was savoury with bay leaf, garlic and black peppercorn. The other was the sweeter maple bacon cure.

All three items smoked in my big smoker on Saturday. Came out perfectly. The pictures tell the full story, but honestly CBF faffing around tonight to upload. Maybe another night fellas.

Washed down with my Gose and Galaxy Pacific Ale home-brew. God I love these two hobbies of mine!

. I haven't signed up for imgur or similar.

Don't need an account with imgur.

I made 3.5kg of pepperoni today. Smashed it with heaps of chilli, homegrown habanero and fiesta chilli.

Also made hot dogs..... smoked, yum

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Koo wee brew said:

Smoked up some Devon today ?

Done this a few times, the kids and myself love it.  Lunches for the week taken care of!

Thats how you polish a turd ?

Cheers

Dave

How long did you smoke that for, looks like not long with the small amount of coals you have?

Also just water in the foil tray?

Archived