Coopers Community

Seeking Advice

DIPA

Id had a couple last night and wrote that wrong' date=' id combined the light dry malt and PA can mix in the boil, hops went in for 15 off the heat and stayed in when i chilled the wort for another 15.

The guy i bought the BRY 97 from told me too reactivate it in 37 degree water, it doesnt seem overly "activated" would it be better to just pitch it dry?[/quote']

1. don't boil the can. Increases bitterness and darkens colour. Maybe okay but to be able to predict this and use it in recipe formulation may be difficult.

2. do rehydrate. It is not activating, merely waking up the yeast in preparation for consuming maltose.

Ahhh rightyo got it cheers Ben10, would the can contents dissolve in cold water?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does dissolve in cold water but there's nothing wrong with dissolving the kit in hot water, it's just that it shouldn't be boiled in said water. If you are doing a boil, only use unhopped extract for the malt addition to the water. The rest of it plus the kit can be dissolved in the boiled wort when it's mixed up in the FV.

Brew 2 tasted mint at bottling, even if that doesnt improve flavor wise i will be stoked

I used the NZ Hops in Brew 3 and they were very underwhelming, not really delivering anything as far as pungence or floral aroma, even the steeped hops offered minimal bitterness and a grassy taste... should i come in on day 4 with a dry hop of other more lively hops?

I have been brewing for quite some time now ,over 2 doz brews but am still not getting the taste that I want.

I have just come to realise that I fill the Brewart from the garden hose and think that maybe this is what is causing the slight off taste that I am getting, has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Steeped hops don't really give much bitterness anyway. They need to be boiled to do that properly. How much of them did you use?

2 stuffed 10cm hop balls, 1 Hallertau Pacific and 1 Kohatu, i chewed on a flower of each and got not a lot, earthy, almost parched like they were old before being vac sealed

I have been brewing for quite some time now ' date='over 2 doz brews but am still not getting the taste that I want.

I have just come to realise that I fill the Brewart from the garden hose and think that maybe this is what is causing the slight off taste that I am getting, has anyone got any thoughts on this?[/quote']

fair chance, a cheap easy way of testing would be by making 2 cups of standard black tea, one with the boiled hose water and one with tap or rainwater and see if you can still taste the "hose"

Stuffing the hop balls is probably the problem. They expand a lot when they are put into wort or beer (or any liquid), so unless you give them room to fully expand inside the balls, you'll get hardly anything out of them because the hops in the middle of the mass of hop matter can't release their oils etc.

In those strainer ball things when I do use them, I usually only fill them about 1/3 with hops to allow for this expansion.

Stuffing the hop balls is probably the problem. They expand a lot when they are put into wort or beer (or any liquid)' date=' so unless you give them room to fully expand inside the balls, you'll get hardly anything out of them because the hops in the middle of the mass of hop matter can't release their oils etc.

In those strainer ball things when I do use them, I usually only fill them about 1/3 with hops to allow for this expansion.[/quote']

Ahhh yep i have been noticing the expanding

Would you recommend dry hopping with something else if the NZ dry hop provides little to nothing?

Well that depends. If it gives little to nothing being stuffed into a strainer ball then it's little to do with the variety of hop and mostly to do with it being stuffed in there.

Try it again only filling the things to 1/3 or so. If there's still not much influence then try other hops.

However, if the hops are being steeped in hot wort/water before the brew is mixed up in the fermenter, they don't need to be contained in anything. You can just use a strainer to catch them while pouring the wort or water into the fermenter.

Did another run and similar result, also tried one boiling the hops for bitterness, even with just a 15 minute run it was quite harsh, grassy... perhaps these hops just arent my thing, will dry hop with some i do like to lift it, Cheers Otto

Are you doing these tastings when the beer is actually finished, carbonated and in a glass or are they being done while it's still wort that is yet to be fermented?

None of the hop varieties that you listed in an earlier post is known for grassy tones that I know of (Kohatu maybe but I haven't seen any reports of it).

You can tell if they're old before being vac sealed because instead of looking like a fresh green color, they go yellowed or even brown.

Yes there were yellows and light browns, dry to touch, not like it would shatter but distinctly different than the Galaxy flowers in feel, i havent tasted anything beyond bottling day as of yet, next weekend Brew 1 will be ready to go...

I don't use a bag but I don't do anything to the containers I do use when I dry hop, if I use them. They just sit in the beer. They tend to float a bit but when the beer is cold crashed they sink to the bottom. Other times I can't be arsed preparing them so I just throw the hops in loose.

Archived