Coopers Community

Seeking Advice

DIPA

Hi Everyone,

First time brewer, long time drinker smile

I was hoping for some advice regarding my first brew, i have purchased the DIYBEER Kit by Coopers and their IPA Can, there is also Brew Enhancer 1 in there 1kg.

I like quite heavy/dank beers so i have also purchased 200g of Galaxy hop flowers and CBW liquid pure malt extract 1.5kg.

Would some of you better educated members be kind enough to advise me on the best way to go about using what i have and how much of the CBW liquid to use with the IPA Can recipe

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/8/

Cheers DIPA

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably can + extract + 1/2 the BE.

What AA% are the flowers?

A steep and a dry hop would be the go.

The Flowers are 15.2%

Oh i see so the IPA Can mix' date=' all the Pure Malt Extract and 1/2 of the Brew Enhancer[img']wink[/img]

Cheers for the reply Ben 10

Probably about 400-450g of the malt extract to replace the dextrose at a guess. It doesn't ferment out fully like dextrose does so if you want the same ABV contribution from it, then it needs to be a higher weight compared to the dextrose.

If you're gonna increase the fermentables you'll need to increase the amount of yeast pitched as well. The easiest way would be to buy another kit and use both yeast packets in one batch, and then save some of the yeast cake left over at bottling time into a jar or whatever to pitch into the next batch. Re-hydrating the dry yeast in warm water (30=35C) prior to pitching it into the wort is also a good idea to largely prevent the cell death caused by pitching it dry straight into wort.

If you're gonna increase the fermentables .

Thanks Otto, I fogrot the yeast.

And I am assuming DIPA wants a decent strength IPA from it?

DIPA that is my thoughts for a stronger hoopy brew.

Lusty will chime in some time, I don't do kits so am kinda guessing.

No dramas mate. I don't do kits either of course but it seems logical to increase the fermentables of course, and do a hop steep and dry hop as well. I'm not sure how bitter the IPA kit is on its own so perhaps Lusty or someone can advise if a short boil is needed with the increased malt presence. unsure

Probably about 400-450g of the malt extract to replace the dextrose at a guess. It doesn't ferment out fully like dextrose does so if you want the same ABV contribution from it' date=' then it needs to be a higher weight compared to the dextrose.

If you're gonna increase the fermentables you'll need to increase the amount of yeast pitched as well. The easiest way would be to buy another kit and use both yeast packets in one batch, and then save some of the yeast cake left over at bottling time into a jar or whatever to pitch into the next batch. Re-hydrating the dry yeast in warm water (30=35C) prior to pitching it into the wort is also a good idea to largely prevent the cell death caused by pitching it dry straight into wort.[/quote']

Awesome idea for the yeast cool

Would i be correct in assuming that more of the malt extract increases the ABV? the boozier the better is my preference as Ben 10 said, i am a sipper not a skuller...

Is dry hopping the whole 200g of flowers overkill or par for the course?

Cheers for the reply Otto

I'd bring to boil some extract in water, say 500g in 5 litres and once boiled turn off the heat.

Throw half the flowers in that.

Let sit for 15 minutes. Drain and add to the fv with the other stuff.

Use the other 100g for dry hop.

I'd bring to boil some extract in water' date=' say 500g in 5 litres and once boiled turn off the heat.

Throw half the flowers in that.

Let sit for 15 minutes. Drain and add to the fv with the other stuff.

Use the other 100g for dry hop.[/quote']

Ok excellent, the drained hops, into a bag also in the fermenter or just discard those?

Are hop flowers and pellets the same weight for weight?

It's said to add approx. 10% more weight in flowers if using in place of pellets.

Good luck with the IPA DIPA' date=' & welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

]

Would i be correct in assuming that more of the malt extract increases the ABV? the boozier the better is my preference as Ben 10 said' date=' i am a sipper not a skuller...

[/quote']More sugar of any type will increase the ABV, it's just that malt extract generally results in a better flavored beer than using large amounts of table sugar or dextrose does. These can be used in smaller amounts for ABV increase or to dry the beer out a little. I used 250g of raw sugar in an all grain English bitter late last year to slightly thin it out and it turned out very nice. I could have just lowered the mash temperature to achieve the same thing but I wanted to experiment with the sugar addition.

Put it in a sink of cold water with a towel dangling over it that is sitting in the water.

If thats nkt enough blow a fan kver it as well

Cheers Bolchy, i have dropped it to 24-28, rekn im in the safe zone as it's bloody cold here, as long as that initial hour or so didnt ruin it i think im in the safe zone, temp should continue to drop over the coming days...

Hey DIPA

The only problem with your recipe is the BE1, it is 40% Maltodextrin which won't ferment out. It is designed to add to the mouth feel of the beer, especially when brewing with sugar or dextrose. Because you are using the pure malt I would lose the BE1in this recipe and go for the malt and 500g of dextrose or sugar. Mix this brew up to 20 litres to ensure you get a strong dank beer. I'd make a significant amount, 1 - 2 litres of the 20 a hop tea. Take 75g of your hop flowers and step them in boiling water for 30 minutes then strain into the Fermenting vessel.

Pop along to your local shop for some more yeast, US05, or use the yeast from the other can that come with the DIY kit as well as the IPA can's yeast.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

...Take 75g of your hop flowers and step them in boiling water for 30 minutes then strain into the Fermenting vessel.

Ay Giuseppe' date=' are we makin a beer, or are we makin a wine? [img']unsure[/img] tongue

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks Gents i appreciate the advice cool

Brew is progressing well, tastes dank already, 22-26 degrees now, man the galaxy flowers are pungent, even copping grief from the ole ball n chain about it, how does the brewing gig work, do you have a designated room to brew in, use a shed, or do we just get rid of the wives?

Also perhaps not use boiling water for the whole 30 minutes because that would constitute a boil which would add way too much extra bitterness. I'm sure Scottie meant to boil the water then take it off the heat and add the hops and let steep for 30 minutes. cool

That's it.

The other weird thing here is when I posted this this morning my feed was only showing up to post #6. I wouldn't normally offer up redundant advice. I do apologise and have no idea what was going on this morning alien

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

we just get rid of the wives?

You need to get rid of the wife :) My wife doesn't complain and she is sensitive to smells. My brew is inside a fridge next to our bedroom. Can only smell it when I open the fridge door.

we just get rid of the wives?

You need to get rid of the wife :) My wife doesn't complain and she is sensitive to smells. My brew is inside a fridge next to our bedroom. Can only smell it when I open the fridge door.

I'm guessing you're now a very light sleeper Phil? tongue

biggrin

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Archived