Coopers Community

Vic Secret and Citra?

Ay legends.

The brew pub down tthe road from me (Indian Ocean Brewhaus), does an excellent Pale Ale and was told it is predominantly hopped with Vic Secret.

Got a 100gm bag of this hop yesterday and was planning to put it into my PA/IPA tonight.

Been doing a bit of reading and everything suggests it is better as a flameout / dry hop.

I was thinking of doing a 25gm , 10 minute boil with 40gm Citra - 10 minutes as well.

Then dry hop ( or keg hop) both of these hops later.

Anyone used Vic Secret before, and do they think a 10 minute boil will be detrimental?

Also any thoughts on pairing Vic Secret with Citra?

Most of what I have read seems to suggest Cascade as a pairing?

If it is wasting the fruit aroma and flavour I would prefer to dry hop I think.

Cheers

James

Ended up brewing this one tonight.

Smell of the Vic Secret hops from the packet was not as strong as the Citra.

But the packet said it was from 2015, hopefully not too diminished, the LHBS keeps them in the fridge etc..

Suppose I will find out in about 4 weeks when I get back from work.

I did 40g Citra and 20g Vic Secret for 10 minutes.

Will probably keg hop if the big Citrus / Fruit aroma isn't there.

Keg hopped my latest brew and liked the results on that one.

Will report back on how it goes .

Cheers

James

Cheers mate.

Hopefully will be good.

Had settled on Citra and Cascade for my last few APA/IPAs.

But thought it would be goodto mix it up a bit, but can't see myself getting away from the Citra , bloody love it!

Cheers

James

Hi James.

...Hopefully will be good...

If THIS is the recipe' date=' I'm not sure how you got 49 IBU's from it. Not sure what AA% your hops are, but the IBU must be well over 70 for that recipe with the Real Ale kit involved as the base.

IBU's aren't everything, & your hop additions are late in the boil so all might be OK. Hopefully enough bitterness is extracted from them to balance out with the sweetish malt bill (1.061 OG, Real Ale kit + Amber malt & CaraRye)

Vic Secret is a very nice hop (IMHO). You might get some nice resiny characters from that late boil addition. A few weeks ago I bought some new season Vic Secret & have that sitting in the fridge with a heap of other very aromatic hops atm. A Big IPA is looming me thinks! [img']wink[/img]

Good luck with the brew, I'll be interested in how it turns out.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hiya Lusty thanks for the feedback.

I do enjoy resin in a hop as well the tropical fruit gear so that's good to know about the VS.

Come to think of it the local pale ale was fairly resiny, as well as fruity.

My Ian H xls must be playing up, just checked it and it is saying the Real Ale can is only 30 IBUs. Which is about 10 lower than what I thought it was??

Also it was a Coopers light LME can, not Amber which I posted in the brew day thread.

So hopefully that will lower the sweetness a bit.

The VS packet said 14-17%AA, so I put it in the xls as 15%AA.

If the brew is 70 IBUs, I won't be complaining , had a can of Feral War Hog last night which is meant to be 70 IBUs and 7.5%ABV, bloody lovely I thought!!

BTW , why software do you use ??

Cheers

James

My Ian H xls must be playing up' date=' just checked it and it is saying the Real Ale can is only 30 IBUs. Which is about 10 lower than what I thought it was??[/quote']

Christina raised the subject in a recent thread. You need to change the calculations in IanH's spreadsheet for the Coopers kits. By default, IanH's spreadsheet is setup to calculate the bitterness of kits by volume, not weight as Coopers do. You'll find the weight based formula will give higher IBU ratings for all the kits, & I have to agree it appears more accurate. Coopers formula can be found HERE.

Also it was a Coopers light LME can' date=' not Amber which I posted in the brew day thread. So hopefully that will lower the sweetness a bit.[/quote']

That will cut down on the sweetness considerably.

The VS packet said 14-17%AA' date=' so I put it in the xls as 15%AA.[/quote']

Nothing wrong there. I do the same.

If the brew is 70 IBUs' date=' I won't be complaining , had a can of Feral War Hog last night which is meant to be 70 IBUs and 7.5%ABV, bloody lovely I thought!![/quote']

Your choice of kit & hop scheduling could get you into the same ball park. The balance between your hopping & the malt will be the interesting part to me.

BTW ' date=' why software do you use ??[/quote']

Being an extract/partial brewer, I still use IanH's spreadsheet. I cheat a bit with the base malt grain entries as they are more fermentable than the specialty grain section caters for, but apart from that the spreadsheet still works well for me. happy

Cheers & good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Archived