Coopers Community

Bulk Buys Are Totally Worth It

Hi guys,

I just got involved in my first bulk buy of grains. Just going my usual 1 sack each of Wey Bo Pils and TF Maris Otter. Normally I pay $80 for a sack of these malts. The bulk buy price for the Bo Pils is either $63 or $59 depending on how many bags are ordered, while the MO is either $66 or $63. That's a significant saving for me, and will bring down the cost of ingredients even further.

If any other AGers are able to get on a bulk buy, I'd definitely recommend it.

Cheers

Kelsey

Been doing it since I started all grain. Up here there is no choice. We get a pallet at a time, $65 for imported, $55 for local grains.

Makes brews where you blow it (like my 9kg Imperial Stout) not so painful.

They are fantastic prices..!

I have almost got involved with the AHB sydney ones, usually involves a 2hr return drive to pickup and waiting an unknown amount of time for the gear, fine if you don't have a wife and kids to be on deck for.

Where are you Mark and is that through another forum?

Hi headmaster

I think I will be in the same basket as you re: bulk buys. the AHB ones are pick up from All Things Homebrew in Penrith. For me that is quite a drive, probably a 2 hour return trip like you have.

I'm unlikely to be buying 5 sacks at a time like some of the other members, so I won't really be saving THAT much money to make it worthwhile.

Simpsons Marris Otter by the sack is actually cheaper from my LHBS.

Joe White Pilsner/Ale is $12-13 cheaper in the bulk buy.

For the amount that I brew (25kg should last me about 4 months), I will just support my LHBS and buy local. My kids love going to the "beer shop" with Daddy too. And being less than 10min drive away, they always come with me

I go through grain at probably the same rate jools, at least for ale malt, lager/pils malt lasts longer, but if I can save some cash on it then it's still worth it to me. If I run out of grain and there's no bulk buy going on then I'll just get it from my usual supplier but when there is one I'll be taking advantage.

My proper local brew shop doesn't even sell Weyermann or Fawcetts grain, so it's a bit of a waste of time going there. Last time I bought Simpsons MO there it was $90 for the sack, same with JW Trad Ale. I understand they're a small shop and need to make money but if I can get a sack of grain for $30ish cheaper elsewhere then that's where I'm gonna go to get it.

It's come around at a suitable time for me this time, I'm in need of grain but I have time - a pilsner is being kegged on Wednesday, and I have two cubes of different ale recipes to ferment after that, so I won't need to brew for another 4-5 weeks, and that one will be a pilsner anyway, which I still have about 7 or 8kg of base malt for, maybe more. I just figured it was easier to get both sacks at once.

Cheers

Kelsey

Been doing it since I started all grain. Up here there is no choice. We get a pallet at a time' date=' $65 for imported, $55 for local grains.

Makes brews where you blow it (like my 9kg Imperial Stout) not so painful.[/quote']

Are you in fnq - Cairns ??

Archived