Coopers Community

Aeration of The Wort - Techniques

Blunt

2 minutes ago, Worthog said:

I would like to think so..... I hope that is an unloaded observation, Skipper.

Cheers

Nah not loaded at all. Just saying that if your not aerating at all but surely you’ll get a bit through the seive your clearly pitching enough yeast to give you good ferments. 

Whatever works for you mate. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Worthog said:

I don't aerate! Well, other than dropping my wort into the FV through a seive.

Then you are aerating the wort. 😉

An under-valued & very simple part of preparing wort for your yeast that I myself need a kick up the bum for at times for not making enough effort with my brews.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Beerlust said:

An under-valued & very simple part of preparing wort for your yeast that I myself need a kick up the bum for at times for not making enough effort with my brews.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Are you being lazy, Lusty?

Next thing you know you will be no-chilling 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I bought a stainless airstone and hepa filter from Keg-king, found that my old aquarium air pump couldn't pump through it! 

So i went to the pet store, bought the biggest air pump they had. (a twin outlet one that i blocked one outlet). Still no go!! nothing coming out the "stone"

Used my air compressor from the shed. Worked, but had trouble with the airstone not being heavy enough and the air in the tubing wanted to float with the stone rather than stay down deep.

Think i need a stiff tube to stop it floating up and i believe that i was sold the finer, high pressure sst stone that is used with an oxy bottle rather than an aquarium air pump.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:03 PM, Beer Baron said:

You best bet would be to get an oxygen cylinder and stone to get the most amount of oxygen into your wort

According to John Palmer, you can over Oxygenate your wort using O2 but next to impossible with air. 

On 10/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, The Captain!! said:

i use a paint stirrer. But I’m really considering oxygen 

And also according to John, electric stirrers shouldn't be used because they can damage the yeast (if you do it after pitching) and denature some of the foaming proteins for head retention

• Like 1

I think that over oxygenation thing is a bit of a myth these days. It is affected by temperature, as well as how long you run the O2 for. You only need to run it for 60-90 seconds, but I have seen charts of dissolved oxygen levels at different temperatures, and at the usual 20ish Celcius pitching temp it struggles to get above about 10ppm, which is fine. It would be possible to overdo it but you'd either have to have the wort chilled far lower than ferment temp, or run the oxygen for way longer than necessary. 

I have a stainless steel wand that the stone is attached to with the hose on the other end, and it's quite easy. I usually wave it around in the wort but it would probably do the same thing just left sitting in it for the minute or so. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

On 10/12/2019 at 6:25 PM, Beer Baron said:

I use a stainless steel whirlpool paddle attached to a drill. I do it for about 2 minutes and then pitch the yeast. I haven’t had any issues so I’ll continue this method 

I do the same thing.  Not sure how long I do it for but usually until I get bored (so less than 2 minutes).

• Haha 1