Coopers Community

Which is the best Gelatin to use?

James Lao

Maybe it is I dunno. I gave up on it pretty quickly due to the sediment issue. In the bottles the yeast also clung to the sides for some reason, something which didn't happen without gelatine, or with any other finings. It may have been the preparation, who knows. I won't be using it again to find out though 🤣

I can't even remember what I paid for the isinglass now, but I'm still using the same package from more than a year ago and it still has about half of it left. 

I'm considering getting some biofine when I run out of polyclar. I want to test it for myself and I like the idea of a single dosage rather than two additions. It will be used in the fermenter though as I have no need for using it in the kegs themselves. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

After a bit more digging I found comment elsewhere that seems to describe your experience with gelatine.  It seems overheating gelatine causes denaturation - where the gelatin apparently 're-clumps' and forms something called a hydrogel. The effect seems to be that gelatine changes from the desirable single chains of gelatine into clumps of jello like globules which have a limited capacity to clear beer.    

By the way... is it spelt gelatin or gelatine??   🤔

Well if you go with Biofine, which I’m going to have a look at, the side effect of taking this orally is only better strength in your hair and nails. And better for aged skin so. It’s a plus 1.

Colliodal silicic acid is for me........

Plus at an average dose rate, it’ll add like 5c to your brew cost.

Edited by The Captain!!

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I can't even remember what I paid for the isinglass now, but I'm still using the same package from more than a year ago and it still has about half of it left

OVB how do you get your isinglass?  I bought a 1L bottle in liquid form.  At 50ml per batch mine is almost empty.

I generally don’t add anything to my ales to make them clear but I do like a clear lager so I’ll use gelatine but if I ever have vegan friends over that like beer I always put gelatine in the beer and tell them that it doesn’t have any in there just to f$&k with them

• Haha 5