Coopers Community

Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier

Hi,

I am very new to brewing. I was in my local home brew store the other day and got talking about the best way to go about brewing something similar to Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier. After looking for a clone on google, he came up with.

1.7kg Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat extract

1.5kg Morgans Master Malt Wheat extract

WB-06 Yeast

45g hops - Perle, Tettnangager, Saaz (added after 4 days in Fermenter)

I have been reading that you shouldn't dry hop for Weissbier. Is this correct? Will this ruin the clove/banana taste ?

Hi' date='

I am very new to brewing. I was in my local home brew store the other day and got talking about the best way to go about brewing something similar to Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier. After looking for a clone on google, he came up with.

1.7kg Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat extract

1.5kg Morgans Master Malt Wheat extract

WB-06 Yeast

45g hops - Perle, Tettnangager, Saaz (added after 4 days in Fermenter)

I have been reading that you shouldn't dry hop for Weissbier. Is this correct? Will this ruin the clove/banana taste ?[/quote']

Hi Nighthawk

Yes Ben is right about the hops. Being born in Munich I naturally make lots of Weißbier, I used to use the Coopers one they discontinued and use now the Morgans wheat beer kit with 1 kg of dextrose and 500 grams of wheat spray malt with WB-06. Temperature is important 24 degrees. No hops!

This is very close to a Franziskaner.

Prost

Yes Ben is right about the hops. Being born in Munich I naturally make lots of Weißbier' date=' I used to use the Coopers one they discontinued and use now the Morgans wheat beer kit with 1 kg of dextrose and 500 grams of wheat spray malt with WB-06. Temperature is important 24 degrees. No hops!

This is very close to a Franziskaner.

Prost[/quote']

Hi Qlander/Ben,

Thanks for that.

Qlander,

Do you transfer for a secondary FV once gravity is reached?

Bulk priming is different to secondary fermentation in a second FV. There are times when I would use a secondary (apart from when I use the Coopers which I can't fit in my freezer,) but this is not one of them, as cloudiness and yeast is acceptable in this type of beer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I usually leave it in the FV for 13 or 14 days. Works every time. I am still bottling so I wait about 3 weeks and start to enjoy. I find this an extremely trouble free and tasty beer to make. Apart from that it beats paying $ 5,40 for a 500ml bottle at Dan's.

Im a big fan of Wheat beer & much as I love the satisfaction of a multi hop boiled wart type brew you cant go past a simple brew that gives good results.

Can I please confirm that this is the instruction for this-

1 - All mixed into the FV to 21ltrs or 23ltrs? @24'c;-

wheat beer kit

1 kg of dextrose

500 grams of wheat spray malt

2- WB-06 - Yeast, hydrated, temp equalized & pitched into FV

3- Ferment for 2 weeks AFTER final / stable SG @ 24'c.

4- Bottle, condition what temp?

Drink.

Thats it?

Im a big fan of Wheat beer & much as I love the satisfaction of a multi hop boiled wart type brew you cant go past a simple brew that gives good results.

Can I please confirm that this is the instruction for this-

1 - All mixed into the FV to 21ltrs or 23ltrs? @24'c;-

wheat beer kit

1 kg of dextrose

500 grams of wheat spray malt

2- WB-06 - Yeast' date=' hydrated, temp equalized & pitched into FV

4- Bottle, condition what temp?

Drink.

Thats it?

[/quote']

That's it Mikes15, pretty simple. Looking forward to drinking it.

Condition temp will be my standard cupboard room temp at home.

• 1 month later...

How did this turn out after bottle conditioning?

Ive got about 10days until my FV is empty so will be giving this a nudge to break my run of APA / Ale brews.

Think I might have a go at the Caribbean porter after that,,,,

Dam I need 2 FV's,,,,

• 1 year later...
On 6/9/2017 at 5:42 AM, NightHawk said:

1 - All mixed into the FV to 21ltrs or 23ltrs? @24'c;-wheat beer kit 1 kg of dextrose 500 grams of wheat spray malt 

2- WB-06 - Yeast' date=' hydrated, temp equalized & pitched into FV

Result on the above Nighthawk?

Archived