Coopers Community

Can't contain myself

I had to share this news, I still can't believe it.

I'm one of 3 lucky winners in the Coopers promo, spend $30+ on Coopers at Woolies, write 25 words about why you like Coopers or something like that, I wrote something about it feeding my beard, I don't remember the specifics.

It might pop up elsewhere on the website.

I quit my dead end job last year, sick of busting my arse doing work that I don't enjoy, and getting nowhere. I'm 40 now, work has taken a toll, I couldn't reasonably expect to do that kind of work for the next 20 years anyway.

Spent 6 months on Centrelink, in that time I jumped into something called NEIS (New Enterprise Incentive Scheme), completed a Cert 3 in micro business operations, now for the next 9 months, I will have that financial support (about $240 per week) while I concentrate on getting my business running.

Constructing furniture from reclaimed materials.

I'm moving into new digs, my workshop is in the backyard, I have a supportive partner, this $1000 will go a long way after being on such a tight budget, life is good.

Enjoy the weekend all, I'm off to work, no such thing as a day off for me, but I thoroughly enjoy what I do, so, I'm grateful.

Cheers

JP

Congratulations Mate. Sounds like you need it and deserve it.

Funnily enough I was in Big W the other week and spent $28. It wasn't until I got home I realised I should have spent a bit more

Congratulations. Nice to hear of good things happing for good people for a change.

I haven't shopped in woolies really since their prices went up and their standards down to cover their hardware fiasco - except to pick up Cooper's products. But I only get one kind of luck myself anyway so it wouldn't have happened.

That is great news Imaginative, about winning $1,000. And good on you for quitting a job that you did not enjoy, taking a risk, and starting your own business. I hope it goes well for you. Keep us posted on how it works out.

I love the idea of your business, making furniture from reclaimed materials. I thought about doing something similar once but, instead of making furniture from reclaimed materials, I was going to make it out of free materials harvested from the forest around me, like willow, river birch, alder, and other so called weed species, but I discovered I don't have the tools or the skills. Now I have switched to using my brewing skills to making artisanal vinegar.

I am finding it is bloody difficult to make money with a small business, and the other day I considered throwing the towel in, before even selling my first bottle of vinegar. There is a lot of sweat equity involved. Thank goodness for supportive partners! biggrinwink

Cheers,

Christina.

I'm on top of the world.

It's never too late to start doing something you love.

There's plenty I'd like to share here, I just have to be careful about the rules, it can't look like I'm promoting my business or flogging product.

Many businesses fail in their first year Christina, but most businesses that stick it out, end up being successful.

Been another long day, moving is mostly finished.

Thanks for the kind words everybody

Cheers

JP

• 1 month later...

Well done JP!

Hope that new enterprise works out very well, it sounds quite imaginative and creative. I like to think us brewers tend to be these things, we probably are likely to be, as you need to be into making or cooking 'stuff' to be motivated enough to brew something.

I've actually just added making my own yoghurt, and sauerkraut to the things I'm fermenting at home, plus just took delivery of my first home coffee roasting machine, wanted to make my own roaster as I would usually do but for the price of this relatively cheap one, I can break even roasting green beans, in shade over a year.. Plus some of the ghettto roasters are not really that elegant.. The cheapest one is a stainless dog bowl and heat gun :-)

• 7 months later...
I've actually just added making my own yoghurt' date=' and sauerkraut to the things I'm fermenting at home, plus just took delivery of my first home coffee roasting machine, wanted to make my own roaster as I would usually do but for the price of this relatively cheap one, I can break even roasting green beans, in shade over a year.. Plus some of the ghettto roasters are not really that elegant.. The cheapest one is a stainless dog bowl and heat gun :-)[/quote']

In the past I have used hot air popcorn poppers bought second hand at a thrift store to roast coffee beans. You need one where the hot air blows in through the sides and not the bottom. You can only roast about 1/2 cup of beans at a time though. I stopped roasting my own beans because of difficulty sourcing green coffee beans locally, and also because it is rather smelly, and surprisingly not in a very pleasant way. I didn't like that smell in the house and so only did it in the summer, when I could do it outside.

Cheers,

Christina.

I've actually just added making my own yoghurt' date=' and sauerkraut to the things I'm fermenting at home, plus just took delivery of my first home coffee roasting machine, wanted to make my own roaster as I would usually do but for the price of this relatively cheap one, I can break even roasting green beans, in shade over a year.. Plus some of the ghettto roasters are not really that elegant.. The cheapest one is a stainless dog bowl and heat gun :-)[/quote']

In the past I have used hot air popcorn poppers bought second hand at a thrift store to roast coffee beans. You need one where the hot air blows in through the sides and not the bottom. You can only roast about 1/2 cup of beans at a time though. I stopped roasting my own beans because of difficulty sourcing green coffee beans locally, and also because it is rather smelly, and surprisingly not in a very pleasant way. I didn't like that smell in the house and so only did it in the summer, when I could do it outside.

Cheers,

Christina.

That still blows my mind. Can’t/won’t go outside in winter for long periods. I just can’t fathom being that cold.

Winters are usually a jumper, pants and maybe a beanie here.

Cheers and stay warm,

Captain

Archived