Coopers Community

Bulk priming and adding extra yeast at bottling

Keem

Looking at attempting a bulk priming method for a 23lt lager that im about to bottle. It has been fermenting at 12 degrees for around 3.5 weeks.just wondering about the amount of priming sugar required. Also want a quick carbination (1 week)so thinking about adding new yeast to the mix as well. Any ideas or thoughts on this would be appreciated

With my standard losses and practices i come out at 113 g of table sugar for priming that to 2.5 vols

here is a link to a free calculator for next time

as far as adding more yeast to speed things up well it won't help you much and you'd just have extra gunk in bottles ,prime then bottle and store somewhere above 18 degrees C for a few weeks .

you may have bubbles in a week but the beer will still be pretty green , Patience here grasshopper even after 3 weeks to fully carbonate placing them in the fridge upright for at least a few days and ideally longer ( Lagering ) will help with clarity and really compact the yeast cake in bottle making them easier to pour

Mark is right, there is no real reason to use another yeast at bottling 99.9% of the time and, unless you rehydrate it, the alcohol will kill it.

Once I tried adding Lalvin 1118, a champagne yeast, at bottling. It is a very competitive yeast and kills off whatever your original yeast was in short order. It can be used for bottling beer, if you are worried about bottle bombs, since it cannot ferment maltotriose. Apparently barleywine and Russian Imperial Stout brewers sometimes use it to prevent over-carbonation.

Cheers,

Christina.

I managed to get a lager to carbonate in four days in the bottle a little while ago. These bottles were surplus from a batch that was kegged. They were bottled at 0 degrees or close to it (the beer had been sitting at 0C in the fermenter for two weeks already), then the bottles sat in a fridge at 0 degrees for 2 days before being allowed to rise up to 18C where they were left. 6 days after bottling, or 4 days after warming up, they were fully carbonated and dropped completely clear.

No yeast was added to this brew at bottling time, I never add yeast anyway, in fact nothing was done differently except the bottles sitting cold for two days straight after being bottled. I used a higher rate of priming sugar because the fermentation was allowed to rise to 18C after about 6 days at 10C, so more CO2 would have been released. Fermentation was finished in about 8 or 9 days, and it was dropped to 0C on day 15.

So it is possible to have bottles carbonated in a week, but I'm buggered if I know what it was that caused it to occur on that occasion lol.

Archived