Coopers Community

Little Creatures Pale Ale Clone

Moving the heat belt did it! Rather than wrapped around the fermenter heating the brew, it is draped OVER it, effectively heating the environment. Much more stable temps and I can see the fridge isn't even running (no ice or water on the chilling element)

D877ACCF-EA81-492D-8B60-F211917D92F8.jpg

Gave another bottle a bash, Ive kept them in with my next brew at 18' then 21' for the last 5 days now so thought I try one,

Straight out of the kitchen fridge it was rubbish TBH, apple smell (not green) that's hard to get past, bitter / metallic taste. Almost no sediment in that bottle & the poured beer is clear as day, not gassing off or fizzing & holding a head.

However once warmed to I guess 10'c the not so nice tastes backed off & left a rounded bitter flavour, nothing special in any way but not bad either.

The concerning thing for me is that the off flavors are consistent, if just no where near as bad, as what I have had in some of my throw away brews. Starting to think something is fundamentally wrong but then why is it I'm also getting nice brew batches along with the odd turds? - I really hoped that learning how to prep the yeast for pitching, up grading to temp control, cold crashing & bulk priming would see me clear to happy brewing.

Going to be very interesting to see how the American yeast version comes out, will start taking final SG's tomorrow, was 1038 starting.

Brew #2 seems to going to plan,

Went down on the 15th @ 18.5'c Sg= 1038,

Up to 21'C on the 18th,

20th Sg= 1012'ish,

21st Sg= 1012,

22nd Sg=1010,

23rd Sg=1010,

Almost ready for the 3-4day "post final SG holding" (at 21'c) then cold crashing for a week & drop it out for the bulk prime.

On the 1st brew, could be luck of the draw but it does seem to be conditioning well at 21'c, had a couple yesterday (cooled to around 8-10'c) & they tasted better, more fruit flavour than just apple & even some nectarine / stone fruits, not toffee or caramel.

As Ive said, clarity is by fay the best of any beer Ive made (1st time fermenting with the brew fridge / Ink bird & cold crashing), gas is just right, head / foam is perfect.

To be fair I still don't think this should even be spoken of in the same sense as LCPA, its not a pale ale at all if im honest.

Really a tastier, amber malted, Coopers APA and every bit as bitter / dry finishing.

Remembering that there are only 30g of hops in it ALL UP, im not really surprised it is a bit lacking.

Bring on the Cascarillo,,,,

SG still sitting dead on 1010 so Im going to cold crash it today, that works well with my shift roster next week to allow 6 days crashing before I bulk prime.

Amazing the difference between these yeasts, by now the s-04 version was fairly clear, full of flavour & almost drinkable, the APA yeast version is cloudy & quite a lot more mellow & you wouldn't drink more than a shot glass.

Mean while the s-04 / first batch beers, which have been kept at 21'c, are getting better every time I try one, not very patient though so only about half of that brew left nowbiggrin

I did a couple of batches with one tin of light malt and one tin of amber malt back when I was brewing extract and I honestly wouldn't recommend it for a LCPA clone. The color was too dark, and the malt flavor was way off as well. I think it'd get closer to the color and flavor if you used two tins of light malt, maybe a bit of dex to increase the ABV (LCPA is about 5%) and steeped 300g of medium crystal. The hops used to be Chinook and Cascade but I don't know what they use these days.

Bottled this yesterday after the cold crash,

Tried some the day before, what a different beer to the S-04, same colour but a very dare I say it bland if not clean taste, no sign of any fruit tones yet but what seemed to me like an almost scotch ale / woody tone, going to be interesting to see what it comes out like.

It was also more cloudy than the s-04 version was per bottling, could be cold haze?, held this at 2'c, the s-04 was 4<5'c.

preliminary results in a week or so,,,,

First try of the 2nd brew, bottled now for 1 week,

Firstly Carbonation is not good, used the same 133g of sugar to bulk prime but this has very little gas & no head what so ever, might just be to young.

On the taste, just as per the taste throughout the fermentation its honestly very bland, not much going on other than Burnt toffee / Caramel, no fruits or such. Nothing like the bitter finishing of the S-04 version.

On a plus side It has cleared really well & has no sign of any off flavors & is perfectly drinkable just nothing to boast about.

Plan is to brew the Cascarillo tomorrow so onwards & upwards.

They've been at 21'c but I have noted that there is a big difference in temp top vs bottom of the fridge, it is below 10'c in the garage at the mo though!!

Could cold crashing at 2'c have dropped or killed to much yeast?

Cold crashing won't be the issue. It doesn't kill yeast (it's always advised to store harvested yeast in the fridge to increase its longevity after all), and it's unlikely to have dropped too much of it out unless it was sitting cold for weeks.

Given that, it's either improper seals on the bottles, temperature too low for the yeast or no priming sugar for the yeast to actually ferment. Or the fact they've only been in there for one week. Some brews can be carbonated that quickly but others may take 2 or 3 weeks to properly carbonate. I'd wait another week or 2 and try another bottle and see how it's going then. If it's still half flat then time is not the problem and it will be one of the others.

• 1 year later...

Doing 1 of these right now for my Son-in-law and using the Morgans American Ale yeast sachet that he supplied ... the OG on Wednesday  at 5pm when i pitched the yeast was 1054 with the suggested FG being 1011 which it reached this morning ... I was of the belief that the Morgans American Ale Yeast was repackage US05 .... I have been using US 05 from my yeast bank for my last 5 brews and there is no way that it has raced through a brew that fast, 43 points in 3 & 1/2 days more like 30-35 points in 5 days only thing I have changed is the ferment temp has been increased from 19.5 to 20  .... Could the yeast be something other than US05 or would 1/2 a degree make that much difference as I doubt that as it hasn't in the past. 

The Morgans American Ale yeast sure has run through this ... Pitched at 5pm Wednesday done dusted and cold crash started at 8.30 am on the Sunday with OG1054 and FG 1011 @20 Degree ....  I have never had a brew move so fast while i have had temp control .... I wonder what repackaged yeast that is?   

It probably is US-05. Sometimes you just get lucky. I've had them reach FG in 3-4 days as well. However, when it happens I generally leave the cold crash until around 7 days to allow the yeast a few days to clean up first.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

generally leave the cold crash until around 7 days to allow the yeast a few days to clean up first.

Exactly what I am doing ... I decided against the crash not long after setting the crash in motion and  reset the InkBird back to 20 ... my thoughts were "why the hurry" it needs to be in a keg by Friday so an extra couple of days at 20 then cold crash for it to be in a  keg on Friday then back in a fridge to carbonate and drink ... one thing for sure this yeast is going in the yeast bank ...   

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I've been wanting to bang out something akin to LCPA for a long time now, and various things have stopped me. BUT

Going to do a partial using the bootmakers kit as a starter. It's already got some crystal and cascade, most of what is missing is the chinook I think. 

I'm unsure about using munich or marris otter as a base malt, the original recipe definitely uses munich but I'm leaning toward MO just because.

Bootmakers PA
1.5kg MO
0.5kg Wheat malt

20g Chinook 20 min
15g Chinook 10 min
10g Cascade 5 min
15g Chinook 5 min

20g Cascade and Chinook after 7 days. 

Working off a recipe I found somewhere for LC, haven't looked at AA% yet to adjust amounts.

Thoughts and opinions would be great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 11:20 PM, NewBrews said:

I did find a recipe for it at one stage, but from memory the commercial recipe was changed and the clone was for the old recipe.

From memory, the person who made said it still came out as a fine beer anyway.

is this the old recipe or the new recipe ?

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/chubby-cherub.html

On 9/6/2020 at 11:52 PM, amberfiend said:

is this the old recipe or the new recipe ?

Made it. Taste nothing like LCPA. I believe it's was meant to be a hybrid between LC and Fat Yak. Doesn't even taste like a pale, I ended up with a bland amber beer.

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lab Cat said:

Made it. Taste nothing like LCPA. I believe it's was meant to be a hybrid between LC and Fat Yak. Doesn't even taste like a pale, I ended up with a bland amber beer.

cheers for the warning labcat, you might have saved me he trouble of brewing it up and wasting good ingredients there, getting ready for brew 4 and this was a contender etc 😉 has there been any recent recipes that are more inline with the little creatures pale ale ? i actually brought some today and was thinking of creating a yeast from them

11 minutes ago, amberfiend said:

cheers for the warning labcat, you might have saved me he trouble of brewing it up and wasting good ingredients there, getting ready for brew 4 and this was a contender etc 😉 has there been any recent recipes that are more inline with the little creatures pale ale ? i actually brought some today and was thinking of creating a yeast from them

Maybe this one?

Edited by NewBrews
  • Like 1

I haven't found a LC recipe that uses kits. But I'm sure there's some threads on here that will help find something that gets close to the style.

Coopers recipes are usually pretty good. Some are excellent, but there are a couple of duds, and this was one. No one who I gave this too really liked it much, and no one thought it was a pale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lab Cat said:

I haven't found a LC recipe that uses kits. But I'm sure there's some threads on here that will help find something that gets close to the style.

Coopers recipes are usually pretty good. Some are excellent, but there are a couple of duds, and this was one. No one who I gave this too really liked it much, and no one thought it was a pale.

lol, thats hilarious 😉 my condolences to your friends who had to suffer the experience