Coopers Community

So I've been a busy boy

ImaginativeName

I don't allow a lot of time for myself to be in here these days, budgeting my time.

A bit of background:

Spent the best (or worst) part of 20 years in metal fabrication, I'm basically a boilermaker/sheety without the papers, I'm tooting my own horn here but I have run rings around fully qualified boilermakers in several shops, I just never went through a proper apprenticeship, I did start a mature age apprenticeship a few years back, however my personal life took a sideways turn, and I found myself alone in an area that didn't have any of my friends or family in it.

I've been trying to get out of that industry for quite some time, I find fabrication in general, quite fulfilling, and theres nothing more gratifying to me than looking at a completed project and being reminded why I put in all that effort, however, with metal, it's mostly a filthy job and not really great for your health.

There are a few reasons, in my personal experience, that I've found it to be not so great for your health.

1. Fumes/particulate

2. Excessive hours, pretty much every workshop I've been in has seen me spend most of my life either in the workshop, or on the way to the workshop, or on my way home from the workshop, then you have a few hours left for sleep and trying to be normal

3. Shifts, working through hours when you should be asleep, dogwatch is the absolute worst

That's enough banging on.

Last year I partnered up with a lady I've known for years, found myself renovating her house, the tools and material were there to realise a little project I thought would be cool, a pair of bedside drawers made from leftover bamboo flooring.

Fast forward a few months and I've completed a Cert iii in micro business operations, I've registered a business name, and I'm hitting the ground running.

Now, I'm not sure about the rules regarding this, but I'll be building some stuff that I am sure some of you would be interested in, so can somebody let me know if it's ok to throw links in here? Or maybe just leave my email address?

Yes this is an attempt at shameless self promotion, but I'm not here to flog things that people don't need to people that don't want them.

Look forward to some clarification here and conversing with you all in the real world.

Cheers

JP

Ok then, perhaps if I just say that I've been tinkering with storage solutions for my bottles in my spare time, and if anybody would like to see what I've been up to, they are welcome to drop me an email

johnnypenn@live.com.au

Also, I'm moving soon, but once I'm settled again, anybody here that doesn't act like an arsehole (which I have not yet enocountered) is welcome to drop in for a sneaky beer.

Woodburn NSW

If this doesn't fit within the rules PB2, feel free to just delete this thread.

Cheers

JP

Archived