Coopers Community

2nd brew

Just bottled my second brew. On removing the lid 4 islands of white bubbles approx 4 inches long and 2 wide on top of the beer edged with a toothpaste like thin scum, when I finished bottling, the wall of the fv was covered with a very thin layer of this white toothpaste like scum. The question is, is the beer contaminated or is this normal. What to do, as I don't want to poison my tester, the wife.

Thanks guys. Archie

...I don't want to poison my tester' date=' the wife.[/quote']There have been times when the thought had crossed my mind... biggrin

It does actually sound like it was infected from your description, and it also sounds as though you may have got away with it. Phew! My one and only overtly obvious infection looked real bad in the FV... but the beer itself turned out great. cool

Just bottled my second brew. On removing the lid 4 islands of white bubbles approx 4 inches long and 2 wide on top of the beer edged with a toothpaste like thin scum' date=' when I finished bottling, the wall of the fv was covered with a very thin layer of this white toothpaste like scum. The question is, is the beer contaminated or is this normal. What to do, as I don't want to poison my tester, the wife.

Thanks guys. Archie [/quote']

....; when I finished bottling' date=' the wall of the fv was covered with a very thin layer of this white toothpaste like scum. Thanks guys. Archie [/quote']

That's pretty normal IMHO, I'm guessing you are using the DIY Fermenter. This is the high tide mark of the Krausen, you get a pretty good look at it with the DIY fermenter.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Archived