Coopers Community

There's an incredible bike race on at the moment ...

King Ruddager

Howdy KR,

I drove back to adelaide on monday, from where i joined the race route from kyancutta to where it turns off at horrocks pass just out of port augusta... its not unusual to see people riding to sydney or vice versa, but they are usually pack horsed up like bourke and wills.

I did have a second look at a few cyclists including one just outside of port augusta who looked like he was going on a daily ride, i was thinking to myself 'what hell is this nutter doing? bloody long daily ride...'

i wouldnt have thought a beer forum would have answered such a question :)

there were lots of road trains out there on monday, these guys/girls are pretty gutsy considering south oz roads arent that wide and accommodating towards cyclists.

...when it's this close it is better to use "predictive mode" as the "LAST KNOWN POSITION DETAILS" from the trackers may be at very different times - sometimes they look 1km apart but one was at that position 20 minutes ago and one is there just now. Click on the dot to see what time that position was recorded.

It looks to me like Mike and Kristof are going to keep going all night and collapse in a big heap in Canberra. Sarah will then whizz by Stephen Bradbury style and take the gong.

I'm hoping to get down to Cooks river Friday and cheer her on.

Come on Lusty, get with the programme!! This is exciting cool

On a side and sad note, Eoin is now out of the race. He was hit by a car yesterday near Tarlee & was transferred to the Lyall McEwin Hospital. A report I heard was he sustained broken ribs & cuts & stratches.

I was contemplating going out & riding with him & Ben as they came through.

Hoping he has a speedy recovery.

I think all these years of watching test cricket have enabled and conditioned me to be this enthralled by something so slow moving

Let's hope Kristof is not also a home brewer and reads "slow moving".

He's increased his lead by 200km in the last 24 hours. Just goes to show what a bad night's sleep the night before last will do for you.

Terrible news today. One of the riders - Mike Hall (second place) - has been killed in a fatal crash involving a motor vehicle.

Nothing is confirmed or denied at the moment. I suppose concrete details will emerge once families can be contacted.

This is Phil Walsh all over again for me sad

I hate the way news stories are written about cyclists. This one's a good example of the way language is used incorrectly:

A competitive cyclist has been killed after a car struck him on the Monaro Highway as he was riding towards Canberra.

It's understood the rider was travelling north, just inside the ACT border, when the accident happened about 6:30am — before daylight — today.

"... cyclist has been killed ..." - cyclists are always singled out as being an individual, but not as a person, as a cyclist (ewww, right? Later on the article starts referring to him as a "man" so I'll concede that)

"... a car struck him ..." - the person driving this car is not singled out in the same way. The car struck him apparently.

"... when the accident happened ..." - this is not an accident. Somebody - and it could have been Mike - is at fault here.

The roads are a dangerous place. We need to realise this, but the language used dehumanises people riding, depersonalises people driving and then diminishes the whole incident as a mere "accident".

End rant.

One rider killed, one rider badly injured, both in car related accidents.

I'm guessing a HUGE re-think will happen about holding a race like this in the future.

Almost predictable given the format. Very sad indeed. sad

Lusty.

One rider killed' date=' one rider badly injured, both in car related accidents.

I'm guessing a HUGE re-think will happen about holding a race like this in the future.

Almost predictable given the format. Very sad indeed. [img']sad[/img]

Lusty.

In all likelihood there will have been forty to sixty people die on the road during the period of the race, all at the hands of people piloting tonnes of fast-moving metal. I understand the sentiment but I don't think it's the race that necessarily needs a re-think.

• 5 months later...

Archived