Coopers Community

Feral hop hog clone. All grain.

Hi everyone, I'm only new to all grain and I came across a feral hop hog clone from a Facebook page i follow. I think the guys name was Luke, anyway he happened to bump into one of feral's brewers and he shared the recipe, Luke worked it out to a 23l brew so props to him. This was my first all grain brew and it turned out amazing.

23 litre brew 70% efficiency.

5.1kg pale ale malt (3.0SRM) 97%

160g caramel/crystal malt 60L (60.0 SRM) 3%

20g EKG (5.00%) - boil 60 mins 10.6

80g centennial (10.00%) whirlpool 10 mins 15.3 ibu

80g simcoe (13.00%) whirlpool 10 mins 19.9 ibu

Whirlfloc tablet (boil 15mins)

35g centennial (10.00%) - dry hop 3 days

35g citra (12.00%) - dry hop 3 days

23g amarillo (9.20%) - dry hop 3 days

23g simcoe (13.00%) - dry hop 3 days

1x us-05 yeast

Single mash infusion at 65c for 75 minutes. Ferment at 18c.

I had it kegged for just over 2 weeks and compared a glass to a bottle of hop hog i had bought. Spot on imo. Although the hop freshness was more pronounced with the brew i made. Not sure how old the stubbie was either.

Hey Michael I’ve seen a few variations of the Hop Hog clone over the years. Some have Galaxy, some have the hops that you posted. Nearly all have Citra and Centennial in there.

What was your OG and FG? Only 1 x US-05 yeast? Starter or just rehydrated?

1 packet Rehydrated, stirred after 15min then sit for another 15 min with about 150ml of cooled boiled water. My original gravity was 1.052 and final was 1.006. Brewhouse efficiency was higher than expected. This was my first all grain so i just copied the recipe and my kegs finished at 6% so slightly more abv %. I did sparge the grain bag in a separate pot (28l) with about 7 litres of water and topped up the kettle with the sparged water. I have read the hop schedules can vary depending on hop availability. So i guess this is the most up to date one. Lol.

There was a few comments saying they thought there would have been more hops added. I only tried hop hog a few years ago so I'm not sure if the recipe has changed slightly over the years but i can definitely say that this recipe was very close to the 4 pack i bought at the bottle shop to compare. I live in Perth too so i assume the bottles were quite fresh..... well i hope so.

I don't think hop hog has galaxy either... my guess is the late hops are all American hops, but ive been wrong lots of times,

Glad your clone has worked out well mate... Hophog is a great beer so well done!

Nearly 300 grams of hops in that 23 litre batch, unbelievable, makes me want to try it sometime. Not cheap to make. Mainly all very late hops and dry. I've now kept that recipe in Beersmith. I've never tried a Feral Hop Hog so I think its time I got a 4 pack.

If I were to replace the pale ale grain with liquid malt extract how would I do that?m I'm only asking because I don't have a pot large enough to boil that amount and I'm not ALOUD to buy one haha.

Is that bad etiquette asking that?

If I were to replace the pale ale grain with liquid malt extract how would I do that?m I'm only asking because I don't have a pot large enough to boil that amount and I'm not ALOUD to buy one haha.

Is that bad etiquette asking that?

. 3.8kg of coopers light liquid malt extract should give the same gravity.

Archived