Coopers Community

'Sunken' Yeast

hawker831

Hi all,

I just brewed a batch of the Fruit Salad Ale

I followed the recipe all the way through however when it came to pitching the yeast the wort was still sloshing around from stirring it and the yeast sunk right to the bottom rather than staying on top for a few days.

Is this going to be a problem or is it all good?

Also the recipe says to ferment towards 24 degrees and that 'fermenting warmer is likely to produce fruity esters'. Does this mean if I ferment it over 24 degrees I will get a more fruity taste in the beer or does it mean is will result in a nasty 'off fruit' taste? Over 24 degrees seems way too warm for a beer to ferment.

Thanks.

Ah k, I think I've gotten some of my terms mixed up.

When I've been making my brews there's been stuff floating on top, I assumed it was the yeast turns out its the krausen as you said.

Usually when I put in the yeast it sits on top for a while, this time it didn't.

I wasn't sure if this was ok or not.

It's actually probably better if it gets into the wort instantly rather than sitting on top for a while first. The reason I began re-hydrating dry yeast before pitching it was because of this issue on my first all grain batch. When I tipped the wort into the fermenter, it created about 6 inches of foam on top of it which the dry yeast sat on for however long that took to subside. I re-hydrated the yeast on the next batch which obviously got it straight through the foam into the wort.

Point being, the sooner the yeast gets into the wort and starts doing its thing, the better. It will be perfectly fine mate. cool

Also the recipe says to ferment towards 24 degrees and that 'fermenting warmer is likely to produce fruity esters'. Does this mean if I ferment it over 24 degrees I will get a more fruity taste in the beer or does it mean is will result in a nasty 'off fruit' taste? Over 24 degrees seems way too warm for a beer to ferment.
This depends entirely on the strain of yeast. If you're using the suggested yeast' date=' Coopers Commercial Ale then I believe while it is above the recommended range, 24º is below its upper limit of 26ºC.

Generally 18-22ºC is the recommended range for most ale yeasts but I know the Coopers Kit yeast (ale) for example can comfortably operate well above that without issue. Other strains, like the popular US-05 I've (inadvertently) fermented at 28ºC and that was NOT good at all [img']sick[/img], the kit yeast would have probably fared a lot better!

Archived