Coopers Community

Yeasty-looking particles around neck of bottle...

Hi Guys,

I ummed and ahhed over posting this after looking online for an answer but unfortunately didn't find a thread on this site that definitively answered my question so decided to ask anyway...

I bottled a ginger beer (Morgan's - made according to kit) 11 days ago and noticed this evening a film, of sorts, around the neck of most of the (PET) bottles.

It reminds me of baker's yeast suspended around the edge of a vessel seen when making bread, pizza dough etc - smallish particles clinging to the side of the bottle just above the liquid line that look fluffy like yeast, but not all bottles have them; some have larger particles than others; some are right on the "fill" line; some have none at all...

I didn't notice any floaties when bottling this brew and up until today (I have been giving them a squeeze test every couple of days) I hadn't noticed any at all.

I took the two at the front and inverted them a couple of times and put them back down, just to see what they would do. The yeasty-looking stuff seemed to dissolve into the rest of the brew and so far (about 5 hours later) hasn't re-emerged. The sediment at the bottom of the bottles also didn't appear to move too much when the bottles were tipped up - ambient temp in the cupboard they're in is about 28 deg at the moment, but has been a couple of degrees lower than that the past few days.

Is this just the yeast and its normal bottle-conditioning activity or something I should be more concerned about???

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

Thanks Quokka.

This is the first time these PET bottles have been used (first brew, in fact) - curious as to why such a deposit would be more common with PET as opposed to glass bottles?

I'm certainly not panicking, just interested to see if this is a common occurrence as opposed to something I should be concerned about...

I get this from time-to-time. Doesn't matter if it's a light or heavy malt beer, cold crashed or not there doesn't seem to be any discrimination but it doesn't harm anything. T's just the mini fermentation krausen, not unlike your fermenter has after a brew

Fwiw I bottle in glass and it needs a bottle brushing to remove

Archived