Coopers Community

I didn't realise Coopers supported the Australian Bible Society

King Ruddager

Thanks for the kind words' date=' all [img']love[/img] But the real question in all this remains... Can I get away with a brew tomorrow?

Pro-tip: make sure they are each clearly labelled:

Fermenter

Nappy Bucket.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, Coopers' decision to teem up with the Bible Society was a silly one. They probably expected some publicity that would give them some free advertising. People make mistakes, and so do businesses

What I do have a real problem though, and it's something I only was made aware because of the recent events, is that Coopers consistently donates huge amounts of money to the SA Liberal Party. This is the political equivalent of the party that gave America (and the world) president Trump, and the party that gave us PM Abbot and PM Fizza. If they really wanted to spend their money on political sponsorship, there are more worthy recipients. Having said that, I would prefer them not to sponsor any political party. It's not only religion and state that should be separated, business too.

Hear what you're saying Jag, but it is their right. They are a family run company.

But if you want to go that way mate, better stop unions donating members money to the labor party. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Cheers

Bill

In my opinion' date=' Coopers' decision to teem up with the Bible Society was a silly one. They probably expected some publicity that would give them some free advertising. People make mistakes, and so do businesses

What I do have a real problem though, and it's something I only was made aware because of the recent events, is that Coopers consistently donates huge amounts of money to the SA Liberal Party. This is the political equivalent of the party that gave America (and the world) president Trump, and the party that gave us PM Abbot and PM Fizza. If they really wanted to spend their money on political sponsorship, there are more worthy recipients. Having said that, I would prefer them not to sponsor any political party. It's not only religion and state that should be separated, business too. [/quote']

Do some reading before you post comments that make you look silly.

Cooper's didn't "team up" with The Bible Society - as a very Australian company they chose to acknowledge their sesquicentenary and what they have contributed to the country. The Bible Society also made a short video suggesting people could sit down sharing a Cooper's Mid and at least agree to disagree. Some Hipsters got their knickers in a knot and made fools of themselves (well documented on the UnAustralian.com,) and the religious bigots showed their true colours.

Ironically, the "politically correct" were the haters and bigots here.

In my opinion' date=' Coopers' decision to teem up with the Bible Society was a silly one. They probably expected some publicity that would give them some free advertising. People make mistakes, and so do businesses.

What I do have a real problem though, and it's something I only was made aware because of the recent events, is that Coopers consistently donates huge amounts of money to the SA Liberal Party. This is the political equivalent of the party that gave America (and the world) president Trump, and the party that gave us PM Abbot and PM Fizza. If they really wanted to spend their money on political sponsorship, there are more worthy recipients. Having said that, I would prefer them not to sponsor any political party. It's not only religion and state that should be separated, business too. [/quote']

Do some reading before you post comments that make you look silly.

Cooper's didn't "team up" with The Bible Society - as a very Australian company they chose to acknowledge their sesquicentenary and what they have contributed to the country. The Bible Society also made a short video suggesting people could sit down sharing a Cooper's Mid and at least agree to disagree. Some Hipsters got their knickers in a knot and made fools of themselves (well documented on the UnAustralian.com,) and the religious bigots showed their true colours.

Ironically, the "politically correct" were the haters and bigots here.

Forgive my ignorance Quokka, but I am not Australian. What has the Australian Bible Society contributed to Australia over the past 200 years? Just curious. smile

Umm, I think you are being a bit hard on Jag....He stated his opinion politely.

He is new here. Why not give him a break and try to be kind? wink

Cheers,

Christina.

What I found rather laughable about it all was these people accusing others who are supportive of equal rights as being politically correct. Perhaps those people need to go back to school and take a refresher course, because I guess I missed the memo that basic rights for all people was political correctness.

The only reason gays are being denied the right to marriage is because of an ancient fictional idea that homosexuality is wrong. The sooner that idea is killed off, the better off everyone will be.

The only reason gays are being denied the right to marriage is because of an ancient fictional idea that homosexuality is wrong. The sooner that idea is killed off' date=' the better off everyone will be.[/quote']

You know I used to think that homosexuality was wrong, probably because most other people did at the time. Then I considered it perfectly Ok but was opposed to same sex marriage. Then I considered same sex marriage as perfectly OK but was opposed to same sex couples having children. Now I consider this as perfectly OK.

I'm not sure if I'm free thinking or have just been swept along with the majority of societies views, maybe a bit of both. But I think it is high time for the Churches to pull their heads out of their arses and stop hurting a significant group in our society. The same can be said for politicians who are plugged into some of these churches.

The only reason gays are being denied the right to marriage is because of an ancient fictional idea that homosexuality is wrong. The sooner that idea is killed off' date=' the better off everyone will be.[/quote']

You know I used to think that homosexuality was wrong, probably because most other people did at the time. Then I considered it perfectly Ok but was opposed to same sex marriage. Then I considered same sex marriage as perfectly OK but was opposed to same sex couples having children. Now I consider this as perfectly OK.

I'm not sure if I'm free thinking or have just been swept along with the majority of societies views, maybe a bit of both. But I think it is high time for the Churches to pull their heads out of their arses and stop hurting a significant group in our society. The same can be said for politicians who are plugged into some of these churches.

Ha Morrie, you sound like my mother! Same thing happened to her. happy

Cheers,

Christina.

Ha Morrie' date=' you sound like my mother! Same thing happened to her. [img']happy[/img]

Cheers,

Christina.

You know I always wonder about people who are so opposed to the whole same sex thing, if one of their own children turned out to be gay or lesbian. I think any half decent parent would support their children. If this is the case then why should it take this to change your mind about same sex ideas and start thinking about others and not when it just occurs in your own family.

I was a bit like that too. I never thought homosexuality was wrong, but at first I was unsure about the marriage thing, not totally opposed to it, just unsure, I mean it was something different to what we'd all grown up with, there is no doubt about that. As time has passed though, my views have changed. I support it now, because I don't think anyone should be denied basic human rights purely based on their sexual orientation. Whatever way people try to spin it, it is flat out discrimination.

You guys are great! biggrin

Yes, it shouldn't take having one of your own kids turning out to be gay to wake up and smell the coffee, but in my mother's case it did. I don't hold it against her though. As I mentioned before, she was a life long fundamentalist Christian, and an old lady by the time I came out. Since she was more (much more) than a half decent parent, she had to change many of her beliefs in order to keep her relationship with me, which was hard for her, but she never hesitated in. Although she still went to church, she didn't fit in anymore. Occasionally she would come out to someone in the church, that she had a lesbian daughter. She was delighted when an elder, and later also a minister, admitted to her that they too had a homosexual child. But they kept it secret. I have compassion for those two men, but no respect. It is because of their silence, and there are probably more like them, that the church I grew up in still does not support same-sex marriage.

My mother was the only one in the family to come to my wedding. My sister still prays that my marriage will fall apart, that I will come back to the church, and remain celibate for the rest of my life, devoting myself to the service of God, like Mother Theresa (these were her actual words).

Unfortunately my mother is gone now, and it is just my sister and I left. We do love each other, and try to have a relationship, but it is hard, because her beliefs haven't changed. My sister has six kids and I used to wonder, even hope, that one of them would be gay, so she would be forced to change, but it doesn't look like any of them are. crying

Cheers,

Christina.

I have a somewhat sad story in my family to tell. My aunt who is 90 and never married ,we believe now to have had a lesbian relationship spanning around 20 years in the 70s and 80s. I am her closest family member now and regularly visit her and help her.

I don't know if any family member ever twigged it at the time but if they did it was never mentioned. They did not live together but were nearly always together and her girl friend had some what would be considered male manerisms. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that something my mother said made me twig that my aunt was lesbian.

My aunt's friend is still alive and their friendship is now practically non existant. I often wonder if the stress of hiding it contributed to their relationship ending. It would have been very difficult for them in the 70s and 80s to come out and I now think how sad it was for her to live like this. It would be much easier today and accepted by family.

Christina's story highlights the extremes at both ends that religious folk display. On one hand you have a family member prepared to accept it, and change beliefs etc. and another whose beliefs are so deeply entrenched in their psyche that they wish terrible things on another for something that they can't even control. And then people wonder why I think religion is poison of the mind. rolleyes

I'm glad your mother was able to be accepting Christina, I hope you sister will as well but I guess time will tell. You're a better person than me though, if I had a sibling and they said something like that to me I would be telling them in quite colorful language where they could stick it and probably never speak to them again.

You know, when this thread started, I was not a proponent of same sex marriage. Well, let me frame that differently. I was not a proponent of using the term marriage.

After reading all the posts, I have really changed my mind on that. Yep, I had to filter out a few posts that went off the rails, but reading what you have all said, I couldn't help but alter my view.

And Christina, you above all have helped me make that change. I meant what I said, you are to be applauded for your openness and ability to speak rationally about your life. I hope everybody else on this thread can recognise this.

As an almost 71 yo, most people would think that I would be narrow minded in my thoughts, they are wrong. Yes I had a hang up about the word "marriage", but at the end of the day, what does it matter. It is only a term. I have seen too much in my life to be narrow minded, in fact I would probably blow some peoples minds with what I can tell you about the realities of life.

I think I have seen most or all of it. If not, well I have read about it, and I can certainly believe it. The gay & lesbian movement is kindergarten stuff compared to what really happens in life. And sadly, nothing will change that.

Guess I'm saying that I wish our Australian Government would just do it, and get on with running the country as it should. Sadly, I'm not holding my breath.

To you Christina, and others like you with your beliefs, all power to you.

Cheers

Bill

I think some people have been born a different gender mentally and physically. My wife worked with a transgender person and when you get to know them you are then able to understand their situation in life. I think life has its difficulties for these people as they don't have any other options. I can empathize with them.

Hey Bill, IMHE older people are often more open minded then the young, since life has taught them a few things. smile

That is a sad story about your aunt Morrie. Since she is still alive, you could ask her about it. Might be nice for her to finally come out of the closet, although her internalized homophobia is probably great....My wife had a great-aunt who never married either. She has been dead for many years already but, looking back, members of the family now think she was probably lesbian.

Regarding trans people, life is very hard for them, and complicated. They are probably the most marginalized group in society. Their issues are gaining more public recognition and sympathy, which is a good thing.

Cheers,

Christina.

Paddy had swilled a fair number of pints of his regular brew & built up a good amount of "Dutch courage". He approached a number of ladies in the bar with the attempt of becoming a little more intimate with them without success.

Well 'sauced', he observed a woman walking into the bar that took his fancy & thought he would try his chances one last time for the evening.

Paddy barely got half way through one of his best pick-up spiels when the woman cut him off & said, "don't waste your time Paddy, I'm a lesbian".

Paddy bemused replied, "A lesbian! I'm sorry but I don't know what one of them is?"

The kind woman replied, "Well see that waitress over there, I'd like to rip her clothes off & fondle her!".

Paddy very quickly replied with, "Jesus, Mary mother of god", & signaled the cross over his chest.

The woman said, "What is wrong with you?"

Paddy said, "I think I'm a lesbian too!"

biggrin

I said I wouldn't post in here again, but I thought an appropriate joke couldn't hurt. wink

Lusty.

Last year we went to see a favourite Fringe event, Axis of Awesome, and were amazed when Jordan Raskopoulos came on stage wearing a dress - apparently having only recently come out identifying as female.

I told my son (24) about it the revelation, and his immediate response was "wow that's a surprise, well whatever makes him - whoops, I mean her - happy". No judging, just acceptance; I felt pretty proud just then.

We all have extensive rights, some of which are traded as part of belonging to an ordered and supportive society. However I still for the life of me can't understand why the state feels it needs to intervene in love and so many other aspects of our private lives.

Oh and Lusty, as a person of Irish heritage, don't get me started on Paddy jokes - I can go for hours ;-)

Maybe I'm gonna ruffle a few feathers here but I couldn't really care less about same sex marriage. To me its a non topic. You do what you want in life. Live in a heterosexual relationship. Defacto relationship. Same sex relationship. Whatever floats your boat. To me marriage doesn't define a relationship. If it needs to be "official" and people think that holds you together then sorry its not going to. I am married. My wife wanted it for family reasons and I accepted that but if she didn't I would happily live the rest of my life with her unmarried with not a care in the world.

Not against changing the law but if the Australian Government has to spend more than 10 bucks to change the law then sorry I want that 10 bucks to go to some poor soul who is battling. Someone homeless. Someone who has been abused. Someone who is starving. And there is probably 101 other life and death causes out there for that 10 bucks too.

The same thing could be said about changing any law that results in equal rights being afforded to more sections of society than there were previously. Same sex couples already have all the same rights as straight couples, except marriage. The change to the legislation could be written on the back of a beer coaster.

Of course marriage isn't for everyone and that's fine. Nobody is forcing anyone to get married just because it's legally available. Those who get married trying to save a relationship obviously aren't doing it for the right reasons but that's not the point. The point is that everyone should have the right to choose to or not as they wish, not have certain sections of the community told that they flat out can't do it, just because it goes against a minority's antiquated beliefs. The fact is, at this point some of them can't do what they want to. Marriage might not mean much to you but to a lot of others it does.

I realise they're not spending any taxpayers money (yet) on this, but of all the frivolous bullshit ideas that anyone could conjure up, someone wants to change the traffic light crossings because apparently women aren't represented equally by the stick figure currently on them. If it ends up going ahead fully, that would be an extraordinary waste of money that could be far better spent helping those in need, instead of appeasing a bunch of idiots with too much time on their hands. If funds are to be re-directed towards homeless or whoever, then that nonsense would be the first place they should be taken from.

I can still pick on gingers right ?

Left handers ?

People with blue eyes ?

Think there's about as many of any of them in the population as same sex attracted and they still get the same rights as normal people

I cannot support ginger marriage now or in the future , its just yucky ! sick i mean what if they breed ?

Archived