Coopers Community

Coopers IPA Citra

A.L.F.

Just sampled my Coopers “A” IPA Citra, a beautiful malty hoppy bitter tasting beer Al/Vol. 5.2%

Ingredients

• 1 Can Coops A -IPA

• 1.5kg Light Dry Malt

• Cooper Drops

• 15g Citra Hops boil @ 10minutes

• 15g Citra Hops @ flame out

• 15g Citra Hops @ FG x 5 days

• English Yeast M07

• Coopers Can Yeast

Leave hop tea bags in FV

G'day A.L.F. and welcome.

Mate Citra has got to be the go to hop for Pale Ales. I've just finished a batch of Citra Pale Ale which used 90g of hops. Just absolutely beautiful.

Actually, I'm putting a bottle into our local country show on Saturday, and I've got real high expectations. I'll let you all know how I go. Actually have four brews going in so should be interesting.

Cheers

Bill

Mate Citra has got to be the go to hop for Pale Ales. I've just finished a batch of Citra Pale Ale which used 90g of hops.

Might be a long shot but would you care to share your recipe with us Bill?

Yeah Rowbrew not a problem. This was simply an excercise in trying out the citra in a pale ale.

Coopers Pale Ale Kit

1.5k LDE

500g LME

BE3 Enhancer which is presumably - 500g LDE, 300g Dextrose & 200g Maltodextrin

Kit Yeast

Citra Hops - 30g at 5 min

Citra Hops - 30g at Flameout

Citra Hops - 30g dry hop on day 4

I did a 30 min boil with 500g of the LDE

All the hops were left in until bottling. I use hop socks so really no sediment.

OG 1042

FG 1010

ABV 4.8% bottled.

Beersmith gave me quite different readings, whether that has to do with my break up of the BE3 I don't know. They don't list it to my knowledge so I had to input the breakdown I mentioned above.

The end result was beautiful. Even my better half thought it was great and she normally puts down most of my beers - just one of those woman things.

Good body and mouthfeel. SRM was on the darker side for a pale ale - extra malt?? IBU was typical of a Coopers Pale Ale but probably overshadowed a bit by the hops. The hops stood out nicely. First taste was passionfruit of all things, but it was not cloyingly sweet, I think the IBU took car of that. Suppose by the time I had the last of 30 bottles, the hop flavour had mellowed a little, but still magnificent. Also a very nice malt taste in there, no doubt due to the extra malt I added. And I only did that to use up what I had laying around.

So mate give it a try, don't think you will be disappointed. And I'm always happy to share my recipes, I believe that is one of the things about forums is the sharing of info. And this forum is one of the best I've ever come across.

Cheers

Bill

Mate Citra has got to be the go to hop for Pale Ales. I've just finished a batch of Citra Pale Ale which used 90g of hops.

Might be a long shot but would you care to share your recipe with us Bill?

Coopers “A” IPA Citra

A beautiful malty hoppy bitter tasting beer Al/Vol 5.2%

Ingredients

• 1 Can Coops A -IPA

• 1.5kg Light Dry Malt

• Cooper Drops

• 3 x 12g Morgan’s Citra Hops

• English Yeast M07

• Coopers Can Yeast

Directions

1. Chill 15 litres of water day before

2. Add 3 litres of boiling water to boiler

3. Add contents of Coopers A-IPA

4. Add Light Dry Malt a little at a time to dissolve than add to fermenter

5. Top up to 23 litre mark with chilled water

6. When temperature reaches 20C to 22C add yeast and stir well to dissolve

7. SG about 1050 to 1052

8. Record Bubbles Per Second (BPS)

9. End of fermentation FG about 1008 to 1012 in 2 consecutive days

10. Cold Crash for 3 days at 3deg.

11. Then add dry Citra Hops for 3 days only at 22deg as recommended

12. Add carbonation drops at the rate of 1 per 330ml/375ml bottle and 2 per 740ml

13. Bottle as usual (Bottling Notes fill bottle within 2cm of top for bottle carbonation)

I did a very similar brew to this one using the same IPA kit, 1.5kg DME, and Galaxy hops. Loved it and kept going back for more. Citra would also be phenomenal.

Don't skimp on that dry hop of you want that IPA hop punch. I used 25g and would be inclined to go harder next time. But I am a big fan of hops at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...

Coopers Pale Ale Kit

1.5k LDE

500g LME

BE3 Enhancer which is presumably - 500g LDE' date=' 300g Dextrose & 200g Maltodextrin [/quote']

Just wondering if thats 1.5kg of light dry malt and 500g of liquid malt extract and whole kg of the BE3? Thats alot of fermentables! The software i use puts it at 1.065 OG for 23 litres. What was your batch size?

Yes spot on Rowbrew. Beersmith says 1068 with and ABV of 6.8%. However, the measured OG was only 1042 with a FG of 1010. So ABV was 4.8% after carbonation. And it was a 23 litre batch.

Don't know why this is so, but as I said in another thread, this brew just won 1st prize and Champion at our local country show.

Cheers

Bill

Yeah Rowbrew not a problem. This was simply an excercise in trying out the citra in a pale ale.

Coopers Pale Ale Kit

1.5k LDE

500g LME

BE3 Enhancer which is presumably - 500g LDE' date=' 300g Dextrose & 200g Maltodextrin

Kit Yeast

Citra Hops - 30g at 5 min

Citra Hops - 30g at Flameout

Citra Hops - 30g dry hop on day 4

I did a 30 min boil with 500g of the LDE

All the hops were left in until bottling. I use hop socks so really no sediment.

OG 1042

FG 1010

ABV 4.8% bottled.

Beersmith gave me quite different readings, whether that has to do with my break up of the BE3 I don't know. They don't list it to my knowledge so I had to input the breakdown I mentioned above.

The end result was beautiful. Even my better half thought it was great and she normally puts down most of my beers - just one of those woman things.

Good body and mouthfeel. SRM was on the darker side for a pale ale - extra malt?? IBU was typical of a Coopers Pale Ale but probably overshadowed a bit by the hops. The hops stood out nicely. First taste was passionfruit of all things, but it was not cloyingly sweet, I think the IBU took car of that. Suppose by the time I had the last of 30 bottles, the hop flavour had mellowed a little, but still magnificent. Also a very nice malt taste in there, no doubt due to the extra malt I added. And I only did that to use up what I had laying around.

So mate give it a try, don't think you will be disappointed. And I'm always happy to share my recipes, I believe that is one of the things about forums is the sharing of info. And this forum is one of the best I've ever come across.

Cheers

Bill[/quote']

Isn't that rather a lot of fermentables for just a kit yeast?

Gotta agree Draculus it does sound like a lot of fermentables, but my OG was only 1042 so that says a pkt of kit yeast will do the job. If I have an OG of 1050 or above I will use 2 pkts of yeast.

Trouble is I'm guessing with BE3. I know what's in 1 & 2, but not 3. So could be more non-fermentables which would explain the 1010 FG. But at 4.8% bottled, I'm happy, and it would be one of the best tasting beers I've brewed. So yeah I'm betting on a bit of non-fermentables because the mouthfeel was really good.

Cheers

Bill

Morning Bill

From the brewing FAQ

http://store.coopers.com.au/brewing-info/faqs.html#what-s-the-difference-between-brewing-sugar-brew-enhancer-1-etc

What's the difference between Brewing Sugar, Brew Enhancer 1, etc?

The sugar composition of Coopers Brewing Sugars are:

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt

Dextrose - 100% dextrose

Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt

Brew Enhancer 3 - 50% light dry malt, 30% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

I was more looking at what you put in it without taking any notice of the OG.

Just by looking at the recipe I thought I the kit yeast wasn't enough.

cheers

Pete

Hi Graculus

Yeah should have been able to find that myself.

The OG I figure is important once you move on from the basic kit & kilo. The basic K&K is designed to fit with the kit yeast, but once you start adding other fermentables etc, your OG will go up. rule of thumb is that once it hits 50 or above, you have to increase the amount of yeast.

Recently did a Weissbier with an OG of 51, but only used one pkt of Bavarian Wheat Yeast which is 11 or 11.5g so that was enough, whereas a 7g kit yeast would probably have struggled. That was a full extract recipe.

But the Citra Pale Ale was quite confusing if you like because Beersmith suggested 1068 and 6.8ABV, yet it actually measured 1042 and 4.8. So go figure. Actually must go back and check that recipe and just make sure I didn't miss anything in Beersmith. I will make it again so I want to make sure I can duplicate it.

Cheers

Bill

Hi Bill

Yes you will definitely need to work out the ingredients if you want to replicate this award winning beer. That amount of fermentables you listed will way surpass 1.042.

Are you sure you put in the 1.5kg light dry malt?

Yeah Joolbag, gotta agree with you. Went back and checked on my recipe saved on Beersmith, and I did enter everything in it. I must have put the 1.5k of malt in, coz I didn't have anything left except some specialty grains and some yeast packets. It was a bit of a clean up job and I was looking for a bit more malt in the flavour. If I take the 1.5k of malt out, then the readings on Beersmith are about right.

Just checked back on my brewing log and the only show beer I did after the PA was a Weissbier which had 2k of liquid wheat malt & 1k liquid malt extract. The only beer that I used the dry malt in was a Saison which had 500g. So even if my brain was not in gear and I only put in 500g left over from a 1k pkt, it should still be 1052 and 5.2 ABV.

So buggered if I know. I'll have to make one with 1.5k and one with none and see what happens.

Cheers

Bill

Archived