Coopers Community

"Hacks"?

King Ruddager

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have modified a pasta machine to use it as a grain mill. It works quite well actually. I am also half way through making my own stir plate from an old small desk fan in a wooden box. Just waiting on some rare earth magnets and a stir bar off ebay to complete it. I also made a hop spider type thing today to use with my urn. Its a 90mm PVC threaded coupling with a threaded cap with a hole cut in the middle, and it has 3 long bolts so it can sit on top of the urn and not fall in. Then i will use a muslin grain bag through the centre of the coupling and cap and thread it onto the coupling. I wish i knew how to post photos on here from a mobile phone, then at least you all won't be scratching your heads like "whats he goin on about?"

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Using the immersion chiller to run my bath.

Tap water temp was 14C according to robobrew on first filling it. By the time the wort temperature was below thirty C the bath was about two thirds full - and just bearable on the cold side (20C). Good for a dog bath or summer.

1497172411_33_16.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, a couple of improvement to my brewing set up. Saw a device on Yuo tube that is sold in the states for just over $100. Here, amazon are knocking them out at $345. https://www.morebeer.com/products/mark-ii-corny-keg-carboy-washer.html?a_aid=shrtcrct?a_aid=shrtcrct .

F that I thought and off to bunnings. Here is my version. 1 fountain pump and a storage container with lid. I cracked the lid drilling the hole but it doesn't make any difference. Cost $170. And it saves water. Also bought a drinking water hose that shed draggers would use to hook up the caravan to mains water, i got tired of running back and forth to the garage with 5l jugs of water.

23 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

The tap and draft, is that like the James squire ones?

That's Tap King I believe, Tap-a-draft is an American invention.

There are two versions (I have both actually). The first uses 2x8g CO2 bulbs and the second uses a 16g CO2 bulb. Basically you prime the 6 litre PET bottle, allow to carbonate, then use the valve unit to pour with the bottle laying flat in the fridge. 

Discontinued now unfortunately, but works great. Beer on tap without the need for a keg fridge, which I personally see (same as a fermenting fridge) as being overkill for home brewing, which is just a hobby for a bit of fun. 

Cheers, 

John

Nonsense, home brewing is serious business ? Nah, it is fun, wouldn't be doing it if it was a chore. I guess what's deemed necessary or not is up to the individual brewer. Ferment fridge makes that side of things easy, keeping it exactly where I want it when I want it there. After doing the whole changing out frozen bottles in the laundry tub malarkey I won't be going back to that any time soon. Having a keg fridge is just part of the fun for me, nothing quite like having beer on proper taps in your own home, and mine's tiny compared to some set ups I've seen. Some of them have had about 12 taps or more on them, which is certainly overkill. Of course, neither of these things are necessary but they do make brewing life easier and more fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought this food throw from aldi for $7. Will run it through the sewing machine to make a bag. Also the bag it came in looks ideal as a dry hop sock. Just heating some water in my kettle to ensure the throw can handle a boil. Will let you know how it does.

20181117_120011.jpg

20181117_120031.jpg

4 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Don't forget to post in the fail thread if you do boil it though

I did actually did boil it. Although label said no leaching of any colour or other toxins i just wanted to make sure before wasting my time and sewing the thing up. Survived the boil with no ill effects.

Hey guys, a couple of improvement to my brewing set up. Saw a device on Yuo tube that is sold in the states for just over $100. Here, amazon are knocking them out at $345. https://www.morebeer.com/products/mark-ii-corny-keg-carboy-washer.html?a_aid=shrtcrct?a_aid=shrtcrct .

My tap pressure + hose, a soft kitchen sponge, & sodium perc do the same.

Your method is a little overkill for me, but each to their own on this one. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 11/18/2018 at 8:22 PM, Beerlust said:

Your method is a little overkill for me, but each to their own on this one. 😉

Haha mate, yes a little overkill but i did this specifically for the fermentasurus. You have to be a wee boy or have wee boy hands to get in to clean these. I could stuff the cat in there for a cleaning but I'm sure she would complain a little and probably leave some scratches. Krausen line when it gets hard is a bugger to shift and usually requires a soak to soften. Filling to 24l and leaving is a method but such a waste of water. This does just whats needed and i can do multiple vessels with around 20l. 

Hiya Titan.

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Haha mate, yes a little overkill but i did this specifically for the fermentasurus. You have to be a wee boy or have wee boy hands to get in to clean these. I could stuff the cat in there for a cleaning but I'm sure she would complain a little and probably leave some scratches. Krausen line when it gets hard is a bugger to shift and usually requires a soak to soften. Filling to 24l and leaving is a method but such a waste of water. This does just whats needed and i can do multiple vessels with around 20l. 

I was contemplating buying one of the fermentasaurus' & had a good look over one & thought the same thing about cleaning it as you mentioned. 😆 On that alone I decided against buying one.

As far as the cleaner goes, I'd have got a gurnie for about $150 that could also clean the house windows, the car, the driveway, the pavers & even the dog if he wasn't quick enough! 🤣

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty. 

• 1 month later...

Well i have modified the washer to use with my counter flow wort chiller. Fill the container with water and a bag of ice. Hot water comes back into the container ( just down the drain before). Very effective. Will now use the water saved for washing the brewday gear.

20181230_154328.jpg

Make any glass a good beer glass by creating a widget in it.. You simply etch the bottom of the glass with sandpaper.

Grab a skewer and tape some sandpaper to it. Scrape the bottom of the glass with it. You will see the scratch marks, I do mine one way then the other.

Works great, continuos bubbles the whole beer through.

A nucleation point on a beer glass refers to an etched mark or pattern on the bottom of the inside of a beer glass. The etching is called a nucleation point or a widget  and helps the release of carbonation and can create a steady stream of bubbleemanating from the etched portion of the glass.

Does using sterile coke bottles to store the excess few litres from a batch count as a hack ? 

Using the carbonation cap I later top up the keg with cold,  carbonated beer. 

Have used same method to add finings to an already kegged beer that didn't drop properly clear and as an added bonus didn't even move the keg and stir up what had already dropped out 

On 1/2/2019 at 8:37 AM, Beers Gone Wild said:

Make any glass a good beer glass by creating a widget in it.. You simply etch the bottom of the glass with sandpaper.

Grab a skewer and tape some sandpaper to it. Scrape the bottom of the glass with it. You will see the scratch marks, I do mine one way then the other.

I have done this before except I used the rubber end of a pencil, and other times I've used a diamond file tip. It does work well though!

Archived