Coopers Community

Split Hop Bags In Fermenter

Blunt

I don't think anyone in the history of mankind has managed to use one of those pre-packed finishing hop bags without breaking it

Throw the bag away. Don't even bother buying the small amount with over inflated price to begin with. Use a stocking or buy a hop spider for 15 bucks or so.

hahaha cheers corksniffer.... just out of curiousity... could one just steep the bag a few times and pour the "Hop tea" into the fermenter and not bother with leaving the bag in and still get the same effect?

Blunt, I'm no expert but it depends on what you are trying to do. If you want bittering then you need to boil to get what ever level of bittering you want.

Then you have flavour and aroma. So here you will need a boil of less than your bittering, and for your aroma you might look at additions at flameout, or perhaps look at dry hopping.

The whole hops thing sounds kinda complicated, but once you understand hops it is much easier. I don't think I would go with your idea of steeping the hops and then pouring them in. I really think you should do a lot more study on the use of hops.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but the correct use of hops can really make your beer. It's a bit of an art for people new to the brewing game, but the correct use of hops will make your beer. Should be plenty of downloads either on this forum or on Google.

Good luck and cheers

Bill

Hi Blunt.

Anyone experience split hop tea bags in your primary fermenter and then the subesquent clogging when bottling?

Any small mesh ideas on the inside of the keg on the tap?

If you are kegging beer' date=' then you have the ability to cold crash it prior to kegging it. Shove your fermenter in the fridge where you normally have your kegs & cold crash it for a few days. This will drop out the hop sediment to the base of the fermenter whether you have tea bags or gone commando style. It's great for clearing your beer in general.

After about 3-4 days in the fridge, pull the fermenter out & transfer the beer into your keg.

I don't think anyone in the history of mankind has managed to use one of those pre-packed finishing hop bags without breaking it

I have, & I do. Just flip them in & leave 'em the heck alone. They don't split by themselves.

besides the "finishing hop bags", I have purchased a larger version of seal-able hop tea bags a while back. 250 for $50. Never had a problem with them or the finishing hop bags splitting. If making your own, it just pays to not overcrowd them in the tea bag as the hops expand when they absorb liquid.

Cheers,

Lusty.

A fresh clean chux type cloth works very well ... weigh it down with sanitised marbles and as Lusty says allow plenty of room for expansion .

once you've racked beer off to the bottling bucket/ keg you can use sterile gloves to squeeze the bag to extract extra hoppy goodness into the beer .

Hop teas can work and i've had success with this method and used the tea to dissolve my priming sugar when bulk priming , an ordinary coffee plunger costs a few $ at K-mart or similar but ensure it's only used for hops and not coffee as well

• 3 months later...

I like the idea of using a hop tea with the bulk priming solution... might try that next time.

For hop bags I generally use a paint strainer bag from Bunnings. Have a few different sizes and use the larger ones for steeping grain as well. Find them a lot more robust than a chux.

I chuck them through a hot cycle in the washing machine after use (when the wife isn't looking) and give them a sterilize with the rest of the equipment before each brew.

• 4 months later...

Archived