Coopers Community

Coopers Pilsner 86 Days

weisguy

So I'm brewing 86 Pilsner with Saaz Hops and using it's own yeast. I tried to follow the Pilsner Brewing Info f in pitching yeast. It says pitch at 22C to 24C (which I did) then allowing brew to drop to as low as 13C over the next day or so.

I'm now seeing yeast activities with my blow-off tube setup though I'm not sure how long should I maintain 22C to 24C with my fermentation (since I'm already am seeing activity). Assuming that my understanding is correct, after pitching for example 'today', should I crash it to 13C and there should be CO2 activities? Or I have to maintain it for typical fermentation 3-5days then that's the time to lower it to 13C.

I'm seeing several posts outside this forum though I don't have the right information on how many days (or hours) I should maintain on pitching temp. Like with the brewing info on Draught, it says 12-24 hours before lowering it 13C to 15C.

Cheers,

R-jay

Keep it at 13 for at least a week then allow it to rise .

The reason you pitch warmer is to help the 7 g of lager yeast to multiply enough to ferment the batch out properly , your ferment will slow down at lower temps but will result in a cleaner tasting beer .

Even after a week I'd be surprised if you're all the way to final gravity so the temp rise then will finish it off and encourage yeast to clean up after themselves .

Good luck with your brew

I doubt you'll need a blow off tube for a lager yeast, they aren't all that vigorous, anyway that's the beside the point.

If you are seeing activity then drop the temp down. The usual practice with that high pitching technique is to begin dropping it after around 18-20 hours, give or take a couple. Personally I prefer to chill the wort to ferment temps or as close as possible first, and pitch a bigger amount of yeast but I do have the equipment to do so.

Keep it at 13 for at least a week then allow it to rise .

The reason you pitch warmer is to help the 7 g of lager yeast to multiply enough to ferment the batch out properly ' date=' your ferment will slow down at lower temps but will result in a cleaner tasting beer .

Even after a week I'd be surprised if you're all the way to final gravity so the temp rise then will finish it off and encourage yeast to clean up after themselves .

Good luck with your brew [/quote']

Thanks Markoman. I'm dropping my temperature right now (slowly) to 13C since I'm already seeing very happy yeasts having party inside my fermenter. Using immersion pro btw for my lager batches.

I doubt you'll need a blow off tube for a lager yeast' date=' they aren't all that vigorous, anyway that's the beside the point.

If you are seeing activity then drop the temp down. The usual practice with that high pitching technique is to begin dropping it after around 18-20 hours, give or take a couple. Personally I prefer to chill the wort to ferment temps or as close as possible first, and pitch a bigger amount of yeast but I do have the equipment to do so.[/quote']

I needed one since I'm using immersion pro for all all my batches. I don't have a space to add another custom or standard refrigerator to ferment my batches. And, it's a challenge as well for me since I'm living in a tropical country.

Definitely a cool idea (ha ha) if there is no space for a proper fridge. What they have displayed on the fermenters in the pics aren't blow off tubes but modified airlocks; a blow off tube is a longer piece of silicon tubing that is pushed into the hole where the airlock normally would go, with the other end of it sitting in a jar or bowl of sanitiser or vodka or whatever. These are generally only used for very volcanic fermentations like you get with Belgian yeasts etc. which is why I was unsure of its use in a lager. I would imagine the unit could be used on a standard bucket type fermenter with the screw on lid without one by simply not tightening the lid fully to allow gas escape, and covering the airlock hole with gaffer tape, which is what I do with my FV.

In any case, the main thing is that it gives you decent temp control and ability to brew anything whenever you like. biggrin

Definitely a cool idea (ha ha) if there is no space for a proper fridge. What they have displayed on the fermenters in the pics aren't blow off tubes but modified airlocks; a blow off tube is a longer piece of silicon tubing that is pushed into the hole where the airlock normally would go' date=' with the other end of it sitting in a jar or bowl of sanitiser or vodka or whatever. These are generally only used for very volcanic fermentations like you get with Belgian yeasts etc. which is why I was unsure of its use in a lager. I would imagine the unit could be used on a standard bucket type fermenter with the screw on lid without one by simply not tightening the lid fully to allow gas escape, and covering the airlock hole with gaffer tape, which is what I do with my FV.

In any case, the main thing is that it gives you decent temp control and ability to brew anything whenever you like. [img']biggrin[/img]

This is the reason behind I am using a blow-off setup. There's no room for an airlock (because of the jacket) and the purpose of the jacket is it acts as your fridge box. The immersion pro is your cooler and it won't cool unless your fermenter is concealed. Imagine you want to cool your fridge but the door is open. (Image attached below)

[attachimg]598[/attachimg]

I also googled it when I saw the post. Very interesting piece of technology for those without room for brewfridge. I can imagine would be perfect in an apartment

True for me as I am currently in an apartment. smile

It must be awesome in a small apartment brewing lager yeast fermented beers especially when it goes through that sulphur regurgitation phase of fermentation! tongue

The solid state cooling engine pulls heat out of the beer' date=' through the hard anodized transfer rod, through the cooling chip, then up to the heat sink where it is fanned off into the ambient environment.[/quote']

The apartment would smell like egg farts! sicklol

Haha! biggrin

Interesting device though. cool

Cheers & good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

That Immersion Pro looks like a good bit of gear ... claims to cool / heat up to 20C below / above ambient which is fairly impressive. Costs a bit, but not too bad given it both heats and cools and doesn't need a permanent space like a brew fridge (plus much more compact when in use).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, i'm new here, my brewing experience is limited to a few coopers craft brews that were successful and nice.

I have a question: I put in a can of Coopers Pilsner 86 days with 1/3 of a can of Coopers Canadian Blonde, 3/4 cup of dextrose in 4 gallons. I pitched the two yeasts that were with the cans. Right now, the FG is stable for two days in a row, the taste is so awesome but its a little cloudy.

The problem is that its only been in the FV for 7 days... but I'm so tempted to bottle now because that taste is perfect... I know many people would recommend to leave it another week... what would some of you seasoned brewers do? thanks :)

• 2 months later...

(... Coopers Pilsner 86 days with 1/3 of a can of Coopers Canadian Blonde, 3/4 cup of dextrose in 4 gallons. I pitched the two yeasts that were with the cans...)

Hi Otto

I simply want to let you know that the brew I made a while back (top) tastes awesome. It's very much like a Honey Brown with a nice bite... thanks for your advice to keep it 2 weeks at lease, cheers!

Archived