Coopers Community

Keg Hopping

Morrie

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Id go 80gm.  But your taste buds will tell you if its enough.

120g it is then ha ha ha ha.

The pale I’m doing this in has a fair amount of crystal in it to hold that bold hop flavour. Probably wouldn’t do it to a pacific ale 

Thanks again lads

• Like 1

I usually do about 50gm for an IPA.

Haven't done it for a few brews now as it was robbing me of a  few extra glasses through absorption!

Will be giving it a go again though - defo bang for buck!

Leave the hops  in the keg til it blows and no grassiness noted on any of my brews.

I still dry hop during ferment as well as keg hop,  because I bottle 3-4 longnecks.

Can't half tell the difference between the bottle conditioned and extra keg hopped beer!

Cheers

James

Edited by James Lao
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

So the big strainer won't work, don't even have to open a keg to see that. Will go and get the smaller ones.

Yeah, I’m gonna drop my smaller balls in the keg mouth and see how that goes. 

Ive got enough of them to give that a crack. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I'm intending to drop a 7cm ss hop ball of 60g of Amarillo into my next corny keg of 4% ABV PA.

This will be my first experiment into keg hopping.

The ball will sink to the bottom.

The keg will be 4c, and will be tapped a week later. The keg will last 1-2 weeks until finished.

......I will let you know.

Cheers

Edited by Worthog
  • Like 2

I dry hop kegs all the time. Works well. I leave em in until keg blows and I am ready to clean. I usually dry hop with what I used in the brew.

I bought the tea strainer balls with a chain and hook, on keg king kegs they have a bracket to hook straight onto in the lid.

on some kegs I’ll run two balls, i learnt putting in to many hop pellets, the strainer exploded once the pellets,expanded.

• Like 1

I used one of the tea strainer ball and chains clipped to the keg lid with 15gm of hallertau M in my last lager left it in for 5 days and pulled it out. Now waiting for the keg to carbonate to try. 

10 hours ago, Cammo79 said:

I used one of the tea strainer ball and chains clipped to the keg lid with 15gm of hallertau M in my last lager left it in for 5 days and pulled it out. Now waiting for the keg to carbonate to try. 

My process will be; throw the ball in, siphon the beer in (around 4c), chuck the keg in the fridge, give it 2 days minimum, then tap it leaving the ball in until finished.

Cheers

I've done it before by dangling the tea strainer balls from the keg lid. I prefer this over just chucking it in because the hops are then removed from the beer when its level drops inside the keg. Not really keen on leaving the hops in there for weeks. I always figured I'd try it again but have yet to bother. 

That time I put them in pretty much when it went into the keg fridge, but I want to try doing it 2-3 days beforehand next time to see if it works better giving them some time at a warmer temperature before being permanently chilled.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm now drinking 2 beers that i keg hopped with the ball and chain.  The first one i took it out after 5 days (the lager with HM)  the second i have left in (an ale with cascade and nelson)  After trying them both too early i am now drinking both kegs and have to say i am enjoying both of them. As per Otto i thnk the ale hops would now be above the beer line so no strange flavours to my palate.  Certainly they make the current situation more beareable. 

• Like 1