Coopers Community

white skin on brew in carboy

worry wort

I have never had this in 33 years of making coopers. Went to bottle the latest batch today, took the lid off the carboy and there is a white, foam-like skin on the top of the brew. It doesn't smell off, but it does have a smell to it but not offensive.

I have attached a pic. The clear bit in the middle is where I stuck a mongrel finger to get an idea of density, texture etc.

The only thing I can think of is it has been bastardly hot here since I put the brew down, many days over the 35 mark, and if that has screwed the yeast, but please don't use that as a soft answer if you think it could be something else.

On the important side.....can she be saved?

Thanks

Mark.

p.s. see down a couple of post for the actual pic.

oops, hang on, this worked.... thanks for that, I thought the upload button was ll I needed. ok, that's the stuff on top, and when I bottled it, it coated all the way down the carboy. Only bottled to the top of the spigot, didn't get any in the bottle.

1486881254_12_307.jpgp

Same happened to me a wee while back. Lactobacillus infection I suspect. Fortunately the beer was fine. in fact it wa an excellent brew. I did what you did and took care to leave the visible infection in the FV when bottling. It seems it tends to just sit on the surface, though in time I suspect it could eventually sour the beer.

Lactobacillus infection I suspect. Fortunately the beer was fine. in fact it wa an excellent brew. .

BlackSands. Funny you should say that, since posting I have talked to the guy over the road (about 300 meters away and another long-term home brewer) and told him. He told me he's had it happen a couple of times in summer and the end products been some of the best beer he's made! I'm hoping it will be ok, it didn't smell offensive, just strong, and no odour at all in the bottles.

Will let you know in a couple of weeks.

M.

I've had one like that recently too. I bottled it as it tasted OK.

Admittedly when I bulk primed I stopped way short of all that crap on top.

Still about 17 litres wasted. Tasted awful. Learnt my lesson now. I would never

bottle anything like that again.

so what do you think it is, lactobacillus as BlackSands thinks or something else? I've just never seen it and as I prepared the brew as I always have, am at a loss as to what would cause it.

thanks for your info, will taste the brew with caution and see how it is.

m.

It definitely looks like a bacterial infection, which fits with your temperatures.

If it is lactobaccillus it shouldn't explode your bottles, but will probably taste awful after a little aging. Unless you are doing a Belgian style - you can claim that tasting like curdled milk is part of the character!

If your bottles start exploding immerse them in water to lessen the damage and in future don't bottle an obviously infected beer.

ok, lesson learnt, I thought by carefully drawing off from the bottom would prevent any of the infestation from getting into the bottles, but not the case. 4 days in the bottle and white film forming on contents. Dumped the lot. Could not believe the pressure in each bottle. I brew in plastics and the instant the lid was turned, there was a fountainous explosion of brew. A firm believer of family fun time, I got into a brew squirting war with my daughter, the only good thing to come from this disaster.

So, after my first infection in 33 years, I have learnt 2 things, do your best to keep the wort below 28 degrees, and if you get a carptet growing on the stuff, dump it.

Thanks to all for your imput and advice.

Cheers

Mark.

Archived