Coopers Community

New-syle snap tap stuck

FiestyPotato

Hi all, just a query. Upon prepping for my first brew this week I went about sanitizing everything with starsan and when I went to twist and pull open my tap (the flip top style) I was unable to do so.

It's a brand new one so I tried soaking it a bit first and double checked the youtube videos, but he's stuck tight!

Is there a chance the plastic has just expanded in the ruthless Adelaide heat & humidity at the moment? Or is there a chance it's a dud?

Have you tried it in the open position as well? That way you can use the tap paddle as a lever.

Careful not to break the tabs around the girth' date=' they are pretty weak.

All said and done though, these are very good taps. [/quote']

Thanks headmaster. I did indeed try doing so in the open & closed position, multiple times but to no avail. I was sure if I put any more pressure on it I'd end up snapping the paddle.

It definitely seems like a great tap otherwise. Once the first batch I'm brewing finishes in the FV I'll try again and see if it was a temperamental issue. That, or I might order a spare tap at some point.

I think these taps are absolute rubbish. I have just lost a complete brew when the thing came apart as I started to bottle. The little tabs at the top of the bottom section gave away and as a result I got a lap full of brew. They also mandate the use of a bottom fill valve or a bit of PVC tube stuck into them. I have just been to the local home brew store to buy a new, traditional, screw top fermenter, complete with bubble lock. This new fermenter vessel with its floating lid and these snap in taps were a complete waste of money.

A closer look at the quality of the gear you sell is very much needed Dr. Cooper.

I had a major moan earlier this week when one of the new plug in taps came to bits and dumped a brew in my lap and all over my side verandah. I also rang the store and moaned some more. The response was terrific.

I have just received two cans of PA concentrate and some carbonation drops and was also offered a new tap.

Thanks very much folks, I appreciate the effort.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just brought the new DIY kit and put a brew on. The new tap is leaking and i fear i will loose the whole brew... its leaking out the top of the new flip style tap...

Emailed store@coopers.com.au to let them know about the faulty NEW tap.

I was so excited after buying this new kit this morning only to be dissapointed... I got out of brewing for a year or so and just trying to get back into it...

Hi chrisf1.

Sorry to hear about the leaky tap. sad

With any self assembled product that involves seals of some kind it is always best to test the seals for leaks prior to going full on with what the product is designed to do.

Given you've contacted customer support already, I would expect a replacement tap to be on it's way asap. cool

For longevity purposes, do yourself a favour & periodically lubricate the red rubber seal on the tap with a very light coating of something like olive oil to stop the seal drying out as has been the case with at least one of the previous posters in this thread. wink

I have one of the Coopers fermenters & did have a problem with the initial tap I received with the kit as the clip would not secure on the fulcrum post, thus causing a slight leak when pressing against it during bottling. The tap was replaced & all is well now. happy

Have faith in the company you have aligned yourself with in this venture. They won't let you down. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived