Coopers Community

Spent grains any good for garden?

Titan8

Titan, reckon no problem at all mate. You know the old thing about when a bloke wants a piddle, you do it on the lemon tree. Not suggesting your spent grains are piddle, don't get me wrong.

I do know for certain that if you had chooks, they love them. I'm still doing my chook yard but when I was looking after my neighbors chooks I took a bag of specialty grains over and they were flying up onto my arms to get at the grain.

So no worries Titan, either the lemon tree or the chooks.happy

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

Good point. I might just dig a hole in garden and dump then in there and cover. Then use that spot later to plant out some more citrus. I currently have a geranium in the garden that's real close to garage door. It gets all the beer I don't drink ie SG tests, first pulls etc. it's going great guns compared to another planted on the same day just 1m away.

• Like 1

strongly recommend using it in bread.

https://www.scribd.com/document/103083200/Saturday-White-Bread-Recipe-From-Flour-Water-Salt-Yeast-by-Ken-Forkish

Add about 10-20% (ish) spent grains to this.

Sorry not sure exactly how to link... but it works

• 3 years later...
1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

Hi guys.

I'm not far off the shift to an AG setup & admit I'm a little unsure about how best to deal with kilos of spent grain from brew to brew in my situation.

I assume it classifies as green waste? 🤔

I used to give it to a mate that had horses but he no longer has any. So now I put it in the green waste bin.

Buy yourself a horse!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

...Buy yourself a horse!

I owned a couple of races horses once, they were damn expensive to maintain.

4 minutes ago, Hairy said:

And make some dog biscuits.

That would mean I'd have to buy a dog too!

I thought all grain brewing was meant to be the cheapest way of brewing?! 

With all ancillaries considered, AG brewing isn't as outwardly cheap as one would think I'm guessing??! 😜

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Hi guys.

I'm not far off the shift to an AG setup & admit I'm a little unsure about how best to deal with kilos of spent grain from brew to brew in my situation.

I assume it classifies as green waste? 🤔

Hey lusty. Got to say putting it in the green bin is just a damn waste. 😂😂 Chooks yes but sparingly. Compost and garden you can use it all. Its full of nitrogen. I put it in my compost bin and then when its full I bury it in the veggie garden. The worms eat it up and you will have awesome ground to grow veggies.

Edit. Yes green. So you need brown to balance the compost.

Edited by Greeny1525229549

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I only live in a small villa style house, & not a large block. The gardens & lawns are pretty much set. I might however mix a bit through my veggie pots with some compost each year, but beyond that really need somewhere to offload it. My father is involved in homing pigeon racing & I have a mate who trains trotters, so maybe I can offload it through them.

More importantly I want the SA government to WTFU & pull the pin on these COVID-19 restrictions so I can get down & purchase my rig & have a chat about the specifics & a few of my unknowns with my LHBS. 🤬

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Me too so we don't have to put up with your bloody footy teams taking over our golf resorts 😂😂

I still throw mine in the garden at times, but I have a guy who comes around and takes it most times I brew now. I think he has chooks and he also uses it to make something I can't remember the name of now. Bread related but had a certain name.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

More importantly I want the SA government to WTFU & pull the pin on these COVID-19 restrictions so I can get down & purchase my rig & have a chat about the specifics & a few of my unknowns with my LHBS. 🤬

Being a fellow South Aussie and seeing the complete lack of community spread for a sustained period, I'd have thought we could lift almost all restrictions except border controls.

8 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

@Beerlust

Is your LHBS completely shut due to government restrictions?

They are still trading, but only courier home deliveries. I really need to have a chat with them face-to-face about a few things before I start.

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Being a fellow South Aussie and seeing the complete lack of community spread for a sustained period, I'd have thought we could lift almost all restrictions except border controls.

I agree with keeping the border controls in place too Muzzy, just until the other states get their issues sorted.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Beerlust said:

They are still trading, but only courier home deliveries. I really need to have a chat with them face-to-face about a few things before I start.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Zoom meeting.

Stop making excuses and get this AG thing started.

• Haha 3

I used to give some away for a dog but the dog is no more...hopefully not from my grains though. I also asked my daughter as she has friends who make doggy treats but apparently the industry is moving away from grain because the dog nutritionists say it is not good for them. None of the people with chooks I asked want any either. So in the garden they go...attracting dozens of birds and with the birds comes the crap. These buggers crap all over the patio, table, chairs, the lot. I'm still trying to find a good solution to get rid of them...the grains, not the birds...then again...