Coopers Community

Get a blood test

King Ruddager

I've been sick all year (literally started getting this persistent headache on January the first) and eventually had my blood tested.

Doctor: "... strangely, your liver function seems high"

Me: "Oh, yeah, well you see I make my own beer ..."

So now I know that I have to cut back rightful

Unfortunately I don't think exercising has much effect on liver function. The alcohol still has to be processed by it if you exercise or not. At least you've worked out what the issue is though mate.

Luckily I've never had any problems, but then again I limit myself to a schooner per night through the week, and since getting with my girlfriend mid last year my consumption over the weekends has gradually dropped as well as we don't go out drinking much, compared to me being out drunk every weekend previously. She's not a big drinker either.

Well I drink too much I know, but don't feel sick. In fact haven't felt sick or anything for years. But then again I'm only a youngster - 70yo biggrin.

Don't know, we are all different. I've seen blokes that drink enough each day to make me drown, they live to be 100, and never sick. But good onya Ruddy, you're doing well. I know I can go without, not that I want to, but if I run out of home brew, then I just have to wait until the next batch is ready.

And Jooly, I envy you that Citra PA. Got one in the FV at the moment. Now dry hopping with Citra, so should be ready to bottle about Friday. Samples are bloody great, so can't wait.

Cheers

Bill

Bill, I'm getting very worried my Citra Pale Ale is running out! I totally get why it is in high demand and the favourite hop of a lot.of brewers.

Anyway back on topic, ruddy hope u feel better soon mate. And can still enjoy your HB. The wise words of headmaster ring true whenever topics like this come up. But I'm not giving away my beer! Yet...

You're entitled to a second opinion. They may of mixed your blood with somebody else's.devil

Well I did see another doctor today and she disagreed that those results would be caused by alcohol because the other indicators were all normal cool I still know that I need to cut back though ... BORING!! Oh well.

You're entitled to a second opinion. They may of mixed your blood with somebody else's.devil

Well I did see another doctor today and she disagreed that those results would be caused by alcohol because the other indicators were all normal cool I still know that I need to cut back though ... BORING!! Oh well.

The Doc has told me a few times but I developed selective hearing. Now "Her in doors" is on to me and won't let it drop!

Currently watching me like a hawk no drinkies Wednesday's or Thursday's annoyedcryingsad

Hey Fancy, I can commiserate with you 100%.

My boss hardly ever gets off my back. Although, I am "allowed" 3 tallies a night. I don't quite understand where she is coming from.

We met at work in a wholesale liquor warehouse, so there was a lot of drinking. That continued for many years after we were married. We had real good mates next door, and we all regularly got pissed.

Maybe it was after I was diagnosed with PTSD that she got worried that drinking might not be good for me. But I'm yet to see any evidence of it. I've always been a moderately heavy drinker, but never suffered any problems from it, either physically or mentally.

So Fancy, I certainly feel for you, but I still cannot rationalise their thinking. Any way mate I'll have one for you, and you have one for me.

Cheers

Bill

Hey Fancy' date=' I can commiserate with you 100%.

My boss hardly ever gets off my back. Although, I am "allowed" 3 tallies a night. I don't quite understand where she is coming from.

We met at work in a wholesale liquor warehouse, so there was a lot of drinking. That continued for many years after we were married. We had real good mates next door, and we all regularly got pissed.

Maybe it was after I was diagnosed with PTSD that she got worried that drinking might not be good for me. But I'm yet to see any evidence of it. I've always been a moderately heavy drinker, but never suffered any problems from it, either physically or mentally.

So Fancy, I certainly feel for you, but I still cannot rationalise their thinking. Any way mate I'll have one for you, and you have one for me.

Cheers

Bill[/quote']

We will never work them out Bill as they are complex creatures.

Anyway I got through the two day dry spell and tonight when I get home at 6pm It'll be beer O'clock and I'll certainly raise an extra one for you Bill.

Cheers Marty

... I've just today put down my first 23 litre brew in 3 months. A hiatus that all started with a blood test and ended up with a five hour operation and 8 days in hospital. Wasn't allowed to lift more than 5kg and I don't have an apprentice anymore.

Are you sure you want to get a blood test?

Get well Ruddy. At least I could watch your videos in lieu of making my beer.

talking to a guy i know who told me he used to home brew (kegs rather than bottling).

He was told he should stop/slow down his drinking after a bout in hospital (for what i dont know).

He was drinking a 19ltr keg a week!

Said it was too easy to go out with his pint glass and fill from his tap!

It is easy to do that but it's just as easy to fill it from a bottle too. Maybe I'm in a minority but I haven't found I've been drinking any more since I've had kegs, apart from when I first got the kegging set up as it was a novelty for a short while. I still just have my one glass a night on weeknights, 3 or 4 on a Friday night, usually about 6-7 on Saturdays or maybe less, unless it's a brew day or other simply staying home all day in which case it's more like 12-13, and 2-3 on Sundays due to work the next day.

Well I've seen another doctor now, and she reckons the first one was on crack because if the reading she saw was a result of drinking too much there'd be other signs in the results as well. I'm in the clear, but I still know I drink too much.

Having said that, the last three Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays have all been alcohol free, so that's a good start!

I had a liver function test done a couple of years ago as I was experiencing a little abdominal discomfort in the general area of my liver. I genuinely expected to get a severe telling off, given the amount of drinking I was doing... back then it was mostly red wine... several glasses over the course of an evening pretty much every night of the week. As it turns out all the enzyme levels they check for were normal.

I'm not doctor but I have a hunch you'd have to be a really serious alcohol abuser to get alarm bells ringing on your blood test results... and I'm talking about the kind of drinkers who start their drinking at breakfast time! surprised

Archived