Coopers Community

Cost of a new DIY fermenter tap

King Ruddager

The seal on my fermenter tap (new style one - my old one is still going strong) is getting a bit dodgey but I've been putting off buying a new one because who wants to pay $15 shipping for a tap, right?

Anyway, I went to check out the price ($4.91 as it turns out) and noticed the following:

This item qualifies for free shipping if it is the only item in your shopping cart (maximum of 2 per order).

Woohoo! New tap on the way biggrin

Looks like stick-on thermometers are in the same category actually.

Hey thats good news!

I have a couple that may need replacing soon' date=' the plastic around the union that joins them together I have found is a bit weak and can crack quite easily when separating or reassembling the tap for cleaning [/quote']

One of the tabs on my tap snapped off one day, from memory there were 4 little tabs that held the top cap onto the tap fitting, so I was down 1 tab. That was a messy bottling session...

Sometimes I'm glad I've got the old school taps that you can pick up for a couple of bucks at Bunnings. The only leaking issue I've had with mine is easily fixed by taking the tap apart and smearing some keg lube on its insides, and if the o-ring perishes it's cheaply and easily replaced without waiting for a delivery to arrive. cool

My old, dodgey one is still working (and is currently holding 23L of porter at bay), but I can see that there's not much life in it. The new one arrived a few days ago ... easy peasy.

I'll take care of the new one a bit better with olive oil as the instructions suggest.

My old' date=' dodgey one is still working (and is currently holding 23L of porter at bay), but I can see that there's not much life in it. The new one arrived a few days ago ... easy peasy.

I'll take care of the new one a bit better with olive oil as the instructions suggest.[/quote']

I'd be interested to hear how you go with the new tap, KR.

Mine failed after brew #2, only after I had used the olive oil. It survived brew #1 without oil, broke at the tail end of brew #2 with oil.

I'm half suspicious the plastic reacted with the oil...? Only half suspicious. Maybe not even half haha.

I recently ordered a new tap for my DIY fermenter due to the leaking issue I have with the current tap where the clasp (or hook) doesn't hold over the lug on the FV itself.

I haven't used the new tap yet as it only arrived the other day, but eyeing it off against the tap it is replacing, it looks near enough identical in its shape & dimensions etc.

I've already placed the new tap in the FV, so hopefully it is only my eyesight that is failing & not the tap fitting for my next planned brew. unsure I admit I will be very disappointed if it does fail to hook over the FV lug & leak like the old one did. sad

The thing is, if the new tap fails & leaks, it must be the FV that is faulty somehow.

But until that happens I'm trying to be positive & optimistic that all will be OK. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

They're the ones I use although I don't use a sediment reducer with them. The original tap that came with my fermenter had one moulded onto it (so it can't be used in other taps anyway) but it was upside down to my mind; when the tap was screwed into the thread and sitting the right way up, the slot in the reducer was facing the top so it was more like a sediment catcher than reducer lol. Stupid bloody design.

• 5 months later...

reviving this thread a bit

my fermenter must have an older style of clip on tap - clear plastic with black rubber seals - but i noticed a puddle about as big as 2 50c coins after moving it to the fridge.

just jumped online and ordered 2 replacements of they newer type - white plastic and red rubber.

questions i have here are:

i hope these taps are interchangeable - both clip in?

is there anywhere else to get this type of tap?

Sometimes, a slightly leaking tap (the original style as you have) is caused by not having the core inserted all the way into the body. The inside of the body has a subtle draw angle.

Although an elegant design (well we thought so), the original tap relied on very tight tolerances.

The contracted manufacturer just couldn't consistently meet the levels of precision required. Mind you, I still have one of the "off tool sample" FV and Tap combinations going strong in my brewing rotation at home. smile

Yes, the new snap-tap will fit your FV nicely. Make sure to always lubricate the over-moulding before inserting into the FV. wink

They are only available through us.

Archived