Coopers Community

'tis the season for saison...

BlackSands

...or at least I thought it was. I was planning to brew saison's through the Summer, an ideal choice for these warmer temperatures. But as it happens after I got the first saison into bottles, which was co-brewed with my daughter who is over from Brisy at the moment. It fermented at fairly reasonable saison temps: 26 - 28ºC, but then Summer here in Auckland all of a sudden appeared to end. I don't know what's up with the weather but around a week ago way down south it actually snowed! surprised ... in the middle of January!!?

So, instead of another saison which I was planning to do today I instead brewed a Kiwi Pale Ale and expect that will be fermenting at around 20º -22ºC which is about as 'warm' as these "summer" days have been lately. annoyed

Anyway... had a quick preview taste of my first and only saison and have to say it's bloody fantastic. So, just wanted to have bit of a shout-out to Ben10 for planting the seed of the idea in my head... it certainly paid off! cool It's a great beer!

I trust him as far as you can trust a cock-eyed, rye brewing, rye smiled, ball scratching prison guard. tongue

Make of that what you will. wink

biggrin

Disappointed I haven't heard anything on the Rosella Saison front this past year. sad

Cheers,

Lusty.

So' date=' just wanted to have bit of a shout-out to Ben10 for planting the seed of the idea in my head... [/quote']

Cheers bud!!!

I'm not sure how authentic my brew is, as it's a very "Kiwi-fied" spin on the style, but having said that, what I do like about the style is how open to interpretation it is. cool

BS - it is a great style in that you can do basically whatever you want with it.

This is what I'm thinking for the next one:

1.70 kg Coopers (OS) Lager 34.0 %

2.20 kg Gladfield Pilsner Malt 44.0 %

0.40 kg Rye Malt 8.0 %

0.20 kg Gladfield Aurora Malt 4.0 %

10.00 g Riwaka [5.25 %] - Boil 20.0 min

10.00 g Nelson Sauvin Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min

0.50 kg Dememera Sugar

Mangrove Jack's #M29 slurry

Markoman - thanks!

No mate , Thank you

few guys/girls here are a big part of the the reason i'm still brewing and making pretty decent beer these days that i'm happy to put in front of others who know and love good beer , without the help i got here i would have given up a while ago .

i could list them but don't want to give them a big head .....they know who they are

Have never run a saison, must give one a crack. Have heard it's a done thing to bottle in champagne bottles using tirage crown seals, as they should be carbonated higher than a standard beer bottle can handle, is this so?

If so I might start collecting some champagne bottles and buy a tirage crown seal bell :-)

Have never run a saison' date=' must give one a crack. Have heard it's a done thing to bottle in champagne bottles using tirage crown seals, as they should be carbonated higher than a standard beer bottle can handle, is this so?

If so I might start collecting some champagne bottles and buy a tirage crown seal bell :-)[/quote']

I guess champagne bottles would be a little more 'authentic' and comfortably allow for higher carb levels. My Saison is in PETS.. and they're now rock hard with these warmer Summer days. I went for a carb level of 2.8vols, which is actually as high as I've ever gone. According to Beersmith you can take Saison up to 3.1vols, but I know my PETS would almost certainly fail at that level... given I have them failing quite regularly - even at levels much lower!

Second crack at a Saison which is fermenting furiously at the moment at 27 - 28ºC

Kiwi Saison #2

0.40 kg Rye Malt 8.0 %

0.50 kg Muscovado Dark Sugar 10.0%

10.00 g Wakatu Boil 20.0 min

20.00 g Nelson Sauvin - Steep 15.0 min

Mangrove Jack's #M29 yeast slurry

IBU=29.4, OG=1.052, expected FG/ABV = 1.004/6.4%

w00t

Second crack at a Saison which is fermenting furiously at the moment at 27 - 28ºC

Kiwi Saison #2

0.40 kg Rye Malt 8.0 %

0.50 kg Muscovado Dark Sugar 10.0%

10.00 g Wakatu Boil 20.0 min

20.00 g Nelson Sauvin - Steep 15.0 min

Mangrove Jack's #M29 yeast slurry

IBU=29.4' date=' OG=1.052, expected FG/ABV = 1.004/6.4%

[img']w00t[/img]

Looks good. Put down one yesterday myself. Threw in 10gm coriander seeds with 10 mins to go as well for a twist

Looks good. Put down one yesterday myself. Threw in 10gm coriander seeds with 10 mins to go as well for a twist

Such additions may well feature in my future versions. Out of interest' date=' what's your recipe?

[/quote']

Made a Galaxy saison

4.25kg Pale Malt

0.25kg Munich

0.1kg Light Crystal

Mashed at 62 for 40 mins and 68 for 40 mins with a 10 min mash out @ 75

10gm Galaxy @ 30 mins

15gm Galaxy @ 10 Mins

10gm Coriander Seed @ 10 mins

15gm Galaxy @ 2 Mins

Belle Saison yeast 1.2L Starter being fermented at ambient

19L batch. IBU 26. OG 1048. FG should be around 1005 which should give around 6 ABV

Made this recipe before and turned out nice.

Belle Saison yeast 1.2L Starter being fermented at ambient
What temp is that where you are?

I'm in Sydney. And its been really hot. Yeast was pitched at about 28ish. On Sunday the temp on the fermenter was about 30. Monday the same. 26 today when I got home and its at 1006 so almost done. Hydro sample tasted nice too. Another 4 days or so in ambient to clean up followed by a 2 day cold crash then bottle.

Have never run a saison' date=' must give one a crack. Have heard it's a done thing to bottle in champagne bottles using tirage crown seals, as they should be carbonated higher than a standard beer bottle can handle, is this so?

If so I might start collecting some champagne bottles and buy a tirage crown seal bell :-)[/quote']

I see your from Sydney Headmaster. In this heat you should try one. Belle Saison will work well and just let it run free in the ambient.

For me they are very very good on a summer afternoon but i only drink one or 2 then go to a colder fermented beer. IMO they give you hangovers if you go too many.

They're certainly not a session beer! But I agree... served nicely chilled on a hot day... w00t

2 day cold crash? why just 2 days try 5-7 days will get better results

In a beer where yeast derived flavours are meant to be prominent' date=' dropping them out of suspension via cold conditioning, using fining agents, or both is not often advised.

The world of beer presented to the consumer is largely dictated by the large scale, megaswill producing breweries & the power of their marketing & advertising arm. This is not the reality of what is available in the commercial market, nor does it reflect true realities & drinking trends despite the marketing arm displaying cartwheel graphs that suggest as much. [img']rolleyes[/img]

Cloudy beer is a reality & albeit not as glamorous looking as a light shit flavoured, taste f@#$ed commercially fermented beer USING a sexy bikini clad woman (that doesn't even drink beer, let alone eat normal food) present this to you during your football & cricket commercial times in the open market really does beg the question of the intelligence of those that continue to buy it. It is what it is, & only those that look past that begin to uncover some of the truths. pouty

If I had the funds to support an advertising campaign to expose this hypocrisy, I would. Maybe something Ruddy could discuss & expose on his Fast Homebrew Brew channel? unsurebiggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived