Coopers Community

Yeast washing

ImaginativeName

Ok, I don't really need this harvest, and I may not use it, I just wanted to get the process down.

This is from my last batch of cider, 4 bottles that I mixed together, I let settle for about 10 minutes, then decanted off the top layers, the jar on the left was the last bit, now, I'm not sure if that bottom layer is yeast, or trub?

The jar on the right has a very thin layer on the bottom.

They're in the fridge, and I'm not sure what to do from here.

IMG_0605_zpsmndtc3ka.jpg

I think the thin white layer in the left jar is yeast. The right jar hasn't settled much yet.

I never see people talk about harvesting yeast from cider. Not sure why but might be because cider has less nutrition than beer, especially if made with clarified juice, and the sometimes higher alcohol content. The best source of yeast for harvesting is a low gravity brew.

A package of Lalvin K1-v1118 or EC-1118 only costs $0.99, so it seems there is not much to be gained from harvesting yeast for cider. Beer yeast, Mangrove Jack's Cider yeast, or Vinter's Harvest yeast are a lot more expensive.

Cheers,

Christina.

I'm going to harvest from the next batch, while I came across a few "don't do it" comments, I also found a video of a bloke making a starter with a vial of cider yeast and 1.5L apple juice, splitting it into about 6 batches, from which he will make more starters.

There doesn't appear to be trub like we have in beer, so I don't know what that's all about, and I don't know how this will turn out, bloke in the video seems to think it's perfectly acceptable practice.

I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I'm definitely building a stir plate ASAP

Yes, great little thread, although the pictures are no longer there, I've got the basic idea of what he was talking about, and I'm going to have to try it.

Cider yeast seems a little different, I expected a layer of trub, but I couldn't see any, it all looks like yeast.

I'm going to do another batch of cider, pitching rehydrated yeast, and I'll have another go at it, and against common wisdom, I'll probably also try a starter from the dry yeast, and setting some aside for future batches.

This was really just a practice run.

Archived