Coopers Community

Which hops for beer soap?

ChristinaS1

Hi everyone. My partner has started to make soap. She made a batch of soap with a bottle of my stout, but it didn't have that much scent. I suggested that next time she should put some hops in as well.

Here is a list of the hops available at our LHBS. Please take a look and tell me which you might like in a bar of soap. Note, the next beer soap might have another kind of beer in it, to suit the hops:

Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, Falconer's Flight, Nugget, Goldings, Fuggles, Willamette, Centennial, Mt Hood, Hallertau, Saaz, Tettenanger, Columbus, Simco, Northern Brewer, Cluster, Glacier, Warrior, Perle, and Pacific Jade.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Christina.

Warrior is a clean hop tongue

If you are after a fruity, citrusy type scent then perhaps Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, FF or Centennial.

An earthy scent might be Goldings, Fuggles, Willamette or Northern Brewer.

I presume you would need to use more of the earthy type to create a decent amount of scent as they tend to be a little more subtle than the fruity hops.

There is a brewery in Brisbane called Green Beacon that have made a beer soap in their brewery and I believe it has Cascade hops. I used it but can't say I picked up any significant hop aromas.

Edit- I will add, their soap was liquid not a bar so not sure if that will impact scent at all???

I have read, from a source I consider reliable, that the aroma of hops does not survive the soap making process. That makes sense, considering how delicate they are. Furthermore she has given up using essential oils in her soaps as well because only the strongest scents lasted any length of time.

Apparently the only scents that do "stick" are soap maker's "fragrance oils," which are man made. I see there are hop scented fragrance oils, but my partner isn't interested in anything artificial. She will still make beer soap, but concentrate on other aspects, like using spent grains. Apparently beer soap lathers well....

Thanks anyway folks.

Cheers,

Christina.

Hi Christina,

I am Chad's wife and I have been making soap for many years and selling it at local farmer's markets. Now I have not made Beer Soap but...

If you have hops (or other herbs) that you would like to scent the soap with try soaking it in oil for a day or two before adding it.This protects the colour and scent through the soapmaking process. Just make sure to weigh the oil you soak it in and use it in your lye calculations.

You can also make a tea with the hops. Pour boiling water over the hops. Use a small amount of water and also adjust your water in the lye solution accordingly. Add your hops tea after you have started mixing your lye solution and oils together. This will probablyadd some interesting colour too.

My third idea is essential oils. This takes some thought. Use essential oils that are inspired by your hops....Do some thinking and smelling over a few days... (My nose seems to change over days!) I am thinking lemongrass and citrus oils. I think when they talk about hops they do mention the types of aromas. Essential oils of course don't last forever like synthetic scents do but that is a good thing! Synthetic fragrances can be overpowering, trigger allergic reactions and are not biodegradeable. When putting together a scent try to layer the scents. This will help the scent last longer and make it more interesting and realistic. For example for hops - (maybe..) lots of lemon, some pine, a little lavender...

Have fun making soap!

Catherine (Willowbank Soap Co.) Visit us on Facebook if you have any more questions!

Hi Christina' date='

I am Chad's wife and I have been making soap for many years and selling it at local farmer's markets. Now I have not made Beer Soap but...

If you have hops (or other herbs) that you would like to scent the soap with try soaking it in oil for a day or two before adding it.This protects the colour and scent through the soapmaking process. Just make sure to weigh the oil you soak it in and use it in your lye calculations.

You can also make a tea with the hops. Pour boiling water over the hops. Use a small amount of water and also adjust your water in the lye solution accordingly. Add your hops tea after you have started mixing your lye solution and oils together. This will probablyadd some interesting colour too.

My third idea is essential oils. This takes some thought. Use essential oils that are inspired by your hops....Do some thinking and smelling over a few days... (My nose seems to change over days!) I am thinking lemongrass and citrus oils. I think when they talk about hops they do mention the types of aromas. Essential oils of course don't last forever like synthetic scents do but that is a good thing! Synthetic fragrances can be overpowering, trigger allergic reactions and are not biodegradeable. When putting together a scent try to layer the scents. This will help the scent last longer and make it more interesting and realistic. For example for hops - (maybe..) lots of lemon, some pine, a little lavender...

Have fun making soap!

Catherine (Willowbank Soap Co.) Visit us on Facebook if you have any more questions!

[/quote']

Thanks Catherine. smile Some great suggestions! Darcy is going to send you a friend request on Facebook. Looks like you are making some very nice soaps!

Cheers,

Christina.

Archived