Coopers Community

1st brew in 2 and a half years. Hop boil.

A-tron

Hi guys. In the last couple of years I've had a child and moved house a couple of times so have all but given up on brewing. My wife has bought me a chest freezer for my birthday so I can take it up again. I still have my old exercise book full of recipes and am going to put on one of my favorites tomorrow. Lo and behold I've forgotten what I'm doing! I'll be doing a hop boil with additions at 15 minutes, 8 minutes and flame out. I plan on using the water I have steeped crystal malt in. Is this ok? Also will 2 litres be enough? If so how much LDM should I add to the boil?

Thanks in advance for your help. Can't believe how rusty I am.

2L should be fine mate, and yep, use the wort from steep. I would add between 300 and 500gm of LDM to the boil, make sure you watch it as it will volcano out the moment to look away.

What's this favourite recipe by the way? Do tell.

Cheers Jaydub. Put it down today. It's a slight variation on the ashes ale.

-Coopers IS Australian pale ale

-1kg LDM

-250g Dex

-250g crystal malt steeped

-10g EKG & 5g fuggles @ 16 & 8 minutes, 10g EKG @ 1 minute

-Nottingham yeast

to 23 litres (23.5 because I wasn't paying attention.)

Super refreshing on a summer day. Gonna be a long month or so.

If it's a 2L boil with wort from a crystal malt steeping in it, then I'd probably only add about 100g-120g LDM to it.

A rough 'rule of thumb' for hop boils done with extract is 100g LDM per litre of water and if there are already sugars in it from steeping crystal grains or whatever then the amount is lessened. 300-500g is way too much for 2 litres that already contains wort from crystal malt.

Cheers. Ended up adding 200g. Did some further reading and realised my old notes were more thorough than I thought. Will keep in mind for next time though.

Also sorting through my gear last night found a couple of 3 year old bottles of IPA unopened, mixed in with empty bottles. Just cracked one. Still very drinkable.

Archived