Sign in to follow this  
The bearded machinist

10l all grain recipe for the craft kit fermenter

G'day Mr Wullie. No you can't substitute the Maris with Crystal. MO is the basic grain for making beer. Let me explain that better.

When doing AG' date=' the base malt is a Pale Ale Malt, generally described as a "Two row Pale Malt Extract". This is the stuff you buy in 25k bags, so as to keep your cost down. What we call specialty malts, like your Crystal, are used to give colour and taste. So, no you cannot substitute.

So I guess the basics are

Pale Ale Malt

Specialty grains

Hops of your choice

Yeast.

Those four thing make beer. What amounts you use depends on the recipe you're trying to brew. Maris Otter is just the name of a base malt, it is not a specialty grain.

Cheers

Bill[/quote']

Thank you for the reply Bill. I'm learning new things all the time and I did not realise different malts had to be used; presumed all were the same.

I bought the crystal malt to steep in an extract brew which as yet I am undecided on, but I may purchase some pale malt and give this a go and see.

DadnDave, thanks for the reply too, it was good to get an experienced brewer to give us a fuller explanation.

Thanks to everyone for the patience and knowledge that us new brewers require.

Oor Wullie.

Thought it was pricey ' date=' shelled out almost enough clams for a Good carton already. 25kg bags are for sure the way to go when I get the process down.

[/quote']

I won't be committing to a 25kg bag before I've done my first AG, no way.

You've done the right thing, you could buy a case of beer but then you wouldn't be any closer to your own AG brew.

Having just done my first AG/BIAB recipe for the craft kit I thought I might add to this older thread with a little feedback.

Certainly was a long day the first time round! I think everything took twice as long due to inexperience and learning.

Milled the grain utilising the old pasta machine mod. Worked quite well, although very slow.

16 litres of water in the 19l Big W pot, combined with 2kg of Maris Otter had it completely and utterly brimmed! Yikes. Think I'll keep the volume to 15l in future. Post boil I only had 10 usable litres left, but a final gravity of 1.042 and what I think was a 70% efficiency. So pretty pleased with that.

Stuck with the SMASH concept and just used fuggles in this one at 60 (20g), 15 (10g) and 10 (7g), to keep it simple.

Going to have to do a bit more work on cooling and straining it into the FV as a bunch of cold break went in - which I know isn't the end of the world, and it certainly made for entertaining watching with the massive churning that the yeast caused by Day 2! First time I've observed this.

So all in all a great first experience. Learned a lot and will hopefully be a bit smoother for round 2 in a couple of weeks.

I brewed this one up a few weeks ago in a bag and the 19L Big W pot. I used 16L of water and it was chockas.

Came out as a very tasty beer, but I noticed it has a bit of harsh bitterness so might get rid of the initial hops at start of boil and make up the IBU's with the 20 min addition.

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale (falconers flight)

American Pale Ale (10 A)

Type: All Grain

Batch Size: 11.02 l

Boil Size: 16.32 l

Boil Time: 60 min

End of Boil Vol: 13.49 l

Final Bottling Vol: 10.18 l

Fermentation: Ale, Primary Straight to Keg

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale (falconers flight)

American Pale Ale (10 A)

Type: All Grain

Batch Size: 11.02 l

Boil Size: 16.32 l

Boil Time: 60 min

End of Boil Vol: 13.49 l

Final Bottling Vol: 10.18 l

Fermentation: Ale, Primary Straight to Keg

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

1.51 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 58.1 %

0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 19.3 %