Coopers Community

10l all grain recipe for the craft kit fermenter

Hello fellow brewers.

Today I'm am going to bottle the bewitched amber ale that came with the craft kit I got for Christmas. I'm pretty keen to give biab a go small scale, I should be able to to it on the stove if its only 10l. I'm just wondering if anyone could recommended an all grain recipe for a pale ale.

Cheers,

Nathan.

I've never done it, but I copy and pasted this from an English forum I frequent.

I'd be interested to hear what those more experienced brewers think of this.

If you've made a few kits and/or extract brews, why not have a go at a simple AG brew, to see the difference it makes? A small batch of AG beer is not difficult and you will discover the difference and feel the joy and pride of making it from scratch. All you need for 5 litres is 1kg of Maris Otter, or other pale malt, a packet of hops, and a sachet of yeast. You just need a thermometer, a decent sized pan and something to strain the grain from the wort. A big sieve, or a piece of cloth in a colander. A bag that fills the pan and,drapes over the sides and holds the grains, made from muslin or voile, is ideal. You also need a hydrometer to check the gravity before and after fermentation.

Recipe:

1kg Maris Otter (about £1.50)

One packet of hops (any you like - EKG, Citra, Amarillo, Galaxy, Fuggles, First gold etc) (About £3-4, but you will only use 15g of the 100g, so cost is around 50p)

One packet of yeast, 3g dried yeast is enough. (50p ish)

Method:

1. Heat 3 litres of water to 75C in big pan.

2. Pour in the pale malt while stirring - get rid of lumps.

3. Check temp is 65-70C - adjust if necessary with cold or boiling water.

4. Wrap a thick towel round the pot and leave alone for one hour.

5. Strain into a bucket or other vessel through sieve, or colander lined with cloth.

6. Heat another 4 litres of water to 80C and add the grains back to it. Leave 10 mins, stir, and strain the liquid to your bucket. You should have about 6 litres, which will reduce when you boil it for an hour.

7. Dispose of grains, add wort to pan and bring to boil.

8. Add 5 grams of hops when boiling point is reached.

9. 55 Mins later add 5 to 10g of hops, depending on your hoppiness requirements, boil another 5 mins and switch off.

10. Cool the wort in sink, with lid on, add to sterilised FV/demijohn via sterilised sieve to catch hops, and top up the level to 5 litres if necessary. Pitch yeast at around 18 - 20C.

[Measure the amount of water added if you top up the FV, and add this amount to the sparge water next time you brew]

Here's a youtube video that shows the method quite well:

You should get 8 or 9 x 500ml bottles of lovely beer for about £2.50. It takes me about 3 hours start to finish, making 10 litre batches in this way (see below).

10 Litre option: You can just double all the quantities and make 10 Litres, which is what I do most of the time, it's a good amount of beer. About 18x500ml bottles, or 27x330ml bottles. You just need a 15ish litre pot.

If you've never made an all grain beer it's really worth giving this a go.

I'm following this one too. I've never tried an AG but this forum is pretty inspiring innit?smile

I already have a 20 litre pot so this looks handleable. I would probably double the recipe up to 10 litres, I think.

What are you using for a bag BM?

I'm following this one too. I've never tried an AG but this forum is pretty inspiring innit?smile

I already have a 20 litre pot so this looks handleable. I would probably double the recipe up to 10 litres' date=' I think.

[/quote']

'Tis indeed.

Just throwing it out there, I'm on a budget, so for me, I've just been thinking about what I already have, like cheesecloth, maybe a pillowcase?

I don't know how much those bags are from HBS, if they're pretty cheap I'll just buy one.

Will cheesecloth be strong enough to handle the wet weight of the grains I wonder? Probably OK for a 5 litre mini brew I guess. Not so sure for a 10 litre.

A new white pillowcase might be the go although the width of the opening might cause problems? Need to hear from the experienced BIAB AG brewers at this point, I think.

I have a heap of old climbing tapes and cords that could probably be sewn in to reinforce the bag if necessary. I read that a fabric called "Voile" is commonly used for making these bags due to its strength and suitable - what's the word - porosity?

I don't think you can substitute for the pale malt. Crystal malt is a specialty grain. From what I've read, you need some enzymes from the pale malt to deal with the starches in Crystal but I'm not overly sure about this. I'm only at the stage of contemplating a BIAB AG myself so, again, I hope we will soon hear from the experienced BIAB AG brewers around here.

I already have a 20 litre pot so this looks handleable. I would probably double the recipe up to 10 litres' date=' I think.

[/quote']

Took the missus down to spotlight to get some swiss voile fabric, shes gonna make me one to suit the pot I have.

The fabric is $10 a linear meter we figure half a meter would be enough for a bag and some hop bags too.

May also use it to strain the wort,The mesh is so fine.

G'day Mr Wullie. No you can't substitute the Maris with Crystal. MO is the basic grain for making beer. Let me explain that better.

When doing AG, the base malt is a Pale Ale Malt, generally described as a "Two row Pale Malt Extract". This is the stuff you buy in 25k bags, so as to keep your cost down. What we call specialty malts, like your Crystal, are used to give colour and taste. So, no you cannot substitute.

So I guess the basics are

Pale Ale Malt

Specialty grains

Hops of your choice

Yeast.

Those four thing make beer. What amounts you use depends on the recipe you're trying to brew. Maris Otter is just the name of a base malt, it is not a specialty grain.

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

To design you recipe you will want to use something like brewersfriend.com website. You also need to know how bitter you want to make your pale ale. Something along the lines of 25-30 ibu is pretty standard for a pale ale. A basic recipe will comprise of around 85-90% base malt (maris otter, golden promise etc.) And 10-15% specialty.... like a light crystal malt. Then hold it at around 65-66° for an hour. You also need to account for how much water will be absorbed by the grain and how much will boil off in an hour probably around 4-5 litres.and how much you will lose to all the trub (grain crap) that you want to leave in the kettle preferably. So somewhere around 16 litres of water to start with will let you end up with about 10 litres into the fermenter. Next you need to understand what difference adding the hops at different times will make to your beer.

Firstly add to the wort with 60 minutes left in boil.. to add majority of bitterness.

2nd add to wort with 20 minutes left in boil to add a little more bitterness but add flavour.

3rd add with a couple of minutes left or when you turn the heat off to add aroma.

Play round with the numbers in brewersfriend to help figure out all the og estimated fg and most importantly to calculate bitterness.

Make sure you understand that the aa (alpha acid) % will affect how much bitterness you get.

It sounds complicated but it really isnt.

An example recipe which may work could be

16litres water

2kg marris otter

200g light crystal

25 g cascade pellets

Us05 yeast

1/4 whirlfloc tablet

Mash grain at 65 for 60 mins

Remove grain

Bring to boil

60mins left add 8g cascade hops

20 mins left add 8g cascade

10 mins left add whirlfloc

2 mins left add 9g cascade

Remove from heat

Cool in sink

Strain into fermenter pitch yeast

Ferment at 18

Og about 1.045

Fg about 1.009

Abv in bottle once carbonated about5.1%

Bitterness about 29 ibu

This is based on efficiency of around 65%

Hope this helps a little.

G'day Nathan,

I regularly brew 12 litre (end of boil volume) all-grain batches for my little Coopers DIY Craft fermenter and have plenty of recipes I can share with you, depends what you want to brew. As far as other equipment, I have successfully done BIAB for this batch size in my 21 litre kettle, although I usually prefer to mash and batch sparge in a separate cooler mash tun then run off into my kettle. I've done plenty of different beer styles this way - ales, lagers, English, German, Belgian, American, all with good results. For example my last 10 batches were: American IPA, Northern English Brown Ale, American Pale Ale, English Bitter, American Amber Ale, German Pils, Vienna Lager, Marzen, American IPA and English IPA. Before that were some German wheat beers, a Belgian pale ale and a Saison.

For working out how much grain to use, you will need to know what sort of mash / lauter efficiency you will get (basically the gravity you can expect in a given volume from mashing and lautering a given amount of grain with a given amount of yield). Measuring your pre-boil volume and gravity to work this out will give you an idea of your mash / lauter efficiency. Some prefer to work off a different number, brewhouse efficiency, but this is not as useful as it takes into account losses later on in the process and so includes confounding variables. Using the pre-boil volume and gravity is the best way to keep things on track for a batch as you brew it, and also to compare how different recipes perform on your system in terms of efficiency over time.

Beersmith 2 is good software for tweaking recipes to your system, although you do need to set it up for your equipment and then work around some wrinkles (especially to stop having it base things off brewhouse efficiency and use your mash / lauter efficiency instead). Thankfully it is doable and once tweaked I've found it to be quite useful software.

In terms of a specific recipe, let me know if there's any of the above styles that you're after, but this makes a really tasty English Brown ale ...

Stats

Style: Northern English Brown Ale

OG: 1.047

IBUs: 30

EBC: 40

Grain

90% British Ale malt

8% British medium crystal malt (I used some German Crystal in my last iteration and it wasn't as good)

2% British chocolate malt

Hops

EKG / Fuggles @60 minutes (20 IBUs)

Styrian Goldings @5 minutes (2g/l - 10 IBUs)

Yeast

British Ale Yeast (any from White Labs, Wyeast or for dried Safale S-04) ... I've used WLP006 and WY1469 with success.

Good luck! Small batch all grain brewing is a lot of fun happy

Cheers,

John

Ingredients have been purchased, more expensive than I thought. I got 2.5kg of Marris otter for $12.80 and 100g of cascade for $8. This combined with the 400g of medium crystal grain I have I should be able to brew something this week. my bag is made and I've decided on a 20l pot from big w for $20 I just need to grab some us05 and I'm ready. Any last minute advice for me?

To Mr. Beard and Baby, biggrin

Mate, the cost of your Marris Otter at $5.12 kg is expensive. If you are going into AG you will need to buy your major malt in 25k bags. For instance, a 25k bag of MO from National Homebrew will cost $70 or $2.80 per k. If you shop around you might do better. Also if you can find a supplier close by, you can pick it up and safe the freight.

Other than that, good drinking mate.

Cheers

Bill

Well 10l should give you about 13 x 740ml bottles.

Agree, I've done the same as an experiment or test, and bought lesser amounts just for that. Was just that 'ol mate was paying almost double for his MO. But as long as he knows that if he's gunna get serious about AG, then you can certainly do better.

Cheers

Bill

Sorry guys, have a 3 week old baby around so I don't get to log onto the forum much at the moment. I'm looking forward to having an assistant brewer in 5 to 10 years! Here's a couple of recipes that I really enjoyed happy

Mosaic / Centennial American IPA

OG: 1.063

IBUs: 65 - 80

EBC: 15

94% American Pale malt

4% Munich malt

2% Medium crystal malt (English, German, American etc all ok)

Mash @65° C, 60 minute boil

30 IBUs @60 minutes

2g/l @ 5 minutes

4g/l @ flameout (30 minute steep)

4g/l @ dry hop

American Ale Yeast (US-05, WY1056, WLP001)

The grain bill was taken from the Avery IPA recipe for homebrewers on their website, and it works great in an IPA. I used a combination of Mosaic and Centennial for the hopping and it was really, really good, but you could use any of the classic American aroma hops or even some Aussie or NZ aroma hops for a twist.

Fuggles Bitter

OG: 1.035

IBUs: 30

EBC: 16

95% British Pale malt (eg Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Pearl, or even something from Gladfield or Voyager)

5% British Crystal malt (100 - 150 EBC)

Mash @ 65° C, 60 minute boil

25 IBUs Fuggles @ 60 minutes

1g/l Fuggles @ 5 minutes (about 5 IBUs)

1g/l Fuggles dry hop

British Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1469 was great)

Try as a single hop beer with EKG or Styrian Goldings as well. It's not a hoppy beer, just subtle hop flavour and aroma accents. Increase the late additions and dry hops if you want it hoppier.

Cheers,

John