Coopers Community

How much do you drink?

Corksniffer

I drink around 15lt in a week at the moment during summer which is quite easily do to really haha.

2 x longnecks each day Mon-Fri

5 x longnecks each day Sat and Sun

I'm still a newbie at brewing (batch 4 fermenting now) so i can not see it getting any less anytime soon joyful

Just think how much you are saving by brewing your own. I used to drink cask wine because it was cheaper. Got to the stage where it was like lolly water (even Claret, eventually). Beer is my preferred drink, and by brewing it, I can actually afford to drink beer rather than rat's piss.

John

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... although I had 3 over a 24 hour period a few months back when I was really stressed' date=' it's not the end of the world if you have one, it can even serve as a reminder for your smart decision to give them away in the first place.

I felt pretty close to sick with each of those 3 ciggies, it was like self flagellation.

Stay strong brother, you don't need em.[/quote']

Each time you give in and have a smoke, and then leave it alone for a while, makes it easier to have a smoke again next time - you prove to yourself that you can handle it (sic). I've given up many a time (successfully for a bit) and then "I'll just have one with some old mates I haven't seen for a while" or have a stressful time over something (excuse). No problem ... still an non smoker (?). Some time later I find another excuse to take a fag. And then stop again. "I can control it", I fool myself. For a while, maybe, but eventually something will come up to provide an even stronger excuse, and then its back to how you were smoking before.

It is interesting to note that very few people nowadays need to be convinced that they need to stop smoking for health (and more recently) financial considerations. So, why does anyone who has gone through the hassles of stopping ever touch a smoke again? Addiction. Even one is no good.

I hope you can resist next time, IName.

John

I find the habit side of it is as much as if not more of a problem personally than the nicotine addiction/cravings. All these instances where I'd have a smoke; the grains are mashing, oh I'll have a smoke before I clean the mill. The grain bag is draining, well I'll have a smoke while I wait for it, the wort is coming to the boil etc... you get the idea. Same at work, I'll finish a bus service and out of habit jump out of the bus and have a cigarette before starting the next one. I am handling these better this time with the e-cig (no nicotine) though. It's not really the same as holding a real cigarette but it gives me the illusion of having one which is often enough to get me past the urge. Whatever works, I guess.

I find the habit side of it is as much as if not more of a problem personally than the nicotine addiction/cravings. All these instances where I'd have a smoke; the grains are mashing' date=' oh I'll have a smoke before I clean the mill. The grain bag is draining, well I'll have a smoke while I wait for it, the wort is coming to the boil etc... you get the idea. Same at work, I'll finish a bus service and out of habit jump out of the bus and have a cigarette before starting the next one. I am handling these better this time with the e-cig (no nicotine) though. It's not really the same as holding a real cigarette but it gives me the illusion of having one which is often enough to get me past the urge. Whatever works, I guess. [/quote']

Yeah. The hardest time I found was when drinking either alcohol or coffee and when driving. Have a beer ... have a smoke. Have a coffee ... have a smoke. Get in the car ... have a smoke. I've tried cigarette substitutes and patches. It is still hard to get over the addiction. Occasionally I still have nightmares where I go back to smoking, and that is after 8 years. Definitely a hard thing to stop. All the best with it.

John

I don't kid myself anymore, I've been through those routines of "I just have the occasional one when I drink etc"

With my last lapse, I never fooled myself, I knew I was back with the first one, when I had the 3rd one the next day, I knew it was a habit again, and that's all it is, most of the addiction is psychological, it's mostly about routine and environment.

My only point was, all is not lost if you succumb to those urges, just learn and move on, don't beat yourself up over it and go "oh well, may as well have another", that's all, that's my advice, because most people will slip.

I still remember something I was told a very long time ago by a wise man, something like "once you cross that threshold, no matter how long you stay away, it's always easy to go back"

You just have to stay away from certain environments until you're ready to deal.

My only point was' date=' all is not lost if you succumb to those urges, just learn and move on, don't beat yourself up over it and go "oh well, may as well have another", that's all, that's my advice, because most people will slip.

[/quote']

If you are saying "don't give up on giving up", I am in total agreement. The problem I always experienced is that if I let myself slip today, I could let myself slip another day, and more easily.

I'm not saying that anyone should beat themselves up about having a cigarette, or consider themselves a failure because they had a smoke. For me, the mere consideration that I could have a cigarette (ever), meant that I hadn't really stopped.

I can't describe the difference adequately. When I finally stopped, I knew I would never smoke again. Not just that I didn't want to smoke again ... I knew I would never have another one ... ever! If I ever smoke another cigarette, I know (from experience) that it will end up costing me around $10,000 per year. Big motivation!

John

Kelsey, you hit the nail on the head.

The hardest thing about giving up smoking is the habit. Mate, medically, it takes only three days to kick the nicotine habit. What is hardest is thst certain things tell your mind that you need to have a ciggy.

I tested this in one of my "give it up" , efforts.

I sat on the lounge room floor and imagined a pile of money on the floor, like what I spent on cigs. Then I imagined putting a match to all that money. Well that worked and we were off to a good start.

But I knew that there were certain times in the day when I would automatically have a fag. So, I noted when these cravings took place. At the time I lived in the Victorian high country and travelled about 80k each way to work. Now as soon as I pulled out onto the highway I would reach for my shirt pocket for a fag. Then when I got to the top of the range, I would go for the shirt pocket again.

I was managing a taxi depot at the time, so when I was ten minutes away, I would radio in to base to put the kettle on. Another trigger to have a fag. And of course when I got into the office, and my cup of coffee, I would again look for a fag.

So Kelsey, most of the problem is just about kicking habits. And that doesn't mean the nicotine habit. It is all about habit, and your greatest problem will always be about modifying habits. Mate hang in, and kick the arse out off habits.

Cheers

Bill

I've given up many a time (successfully for a bit) and then "I'll just have one with some old mates I haven't seen for a while' date='"

John[/quote']

I was lucky that my mother never smoked and my step-father gave up smoking long before he married her, so I grew up in a non-smoking home. I might have tried harder to become a smoker if my own father, who was a smoker, hadn't died when I was young.

Back when I started working as a nurse they still allowed smoking in hospital cafeterias. Because I didn't like being around smoke I'd only sit with other non-smokers in the cafeteria. I chose my friends from among non-smokers, and I'd only date non-smokers.

It seems there really are two worlds, the community of smokers and non-smokers. I've observed that smokers who quit usually make their way from the community of smokers to the community of non-smokers, because being around secondhand smoke is just too triggering. Smokers attempting to quit who try to stay in their community, the smokers community, usually end up going back to smoking. It is a real problem for people whose partner smoke.

Guess what I am trying to say is that quitting isn't just about changing your habits; it's more complicated than that.

Cheers,

Christina.

I never smoked so I never had to quit. I grew up with both parents smoking, pack a day each. We had no money, didn't go on holidays, but always money for fags. I was 13 when I was offered my first fag in the boys toilets of my local high school. I accepted it before swiftly dropping it in the urinal. The senior that offered it to me decided that wasn't funny and chased me around the school yard, before he quickly ran out of puff.......

I hate the smell of cigarettes and will remove myself from any situation that puts me within the smell of it, to the point where I no longer see my parents due to them still being smokers.

Good luck Kels, you will be much better off without them.

Just think how much you are saving by brewing your own. I used to drink cask wine because it was cheaper. Got to the stage where it was like lolly water (even Claret' date=' eventually). Beer is my preferred drink, and by brewing it, I can actually afford to drink beer rather than rat's piss.

John[/quote']

i reckon i'll save upwards of $300 a month, as my mate says, the more i drink the more i save biggrin

• 2 weeks later...

Archived