Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking 2017 ?

ben 10

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have had a scraps pale ale on the pour from the keg now for a week or so. Seven different hops used in the beer that is very enjoyable to drink. Among the aromas & flavours is a nice resiny type flavour (likely from the Columbus) that I quite enjoy. I am enjoying the slightly lower bitterness at this ABV level too.

Coming into the colder months I like this resiny character in my pale ales, so will be looking to use hops such as Columbus, Vic Secret, Mt. Hood in my hop mixes.

Good times ahead. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

These are from Saturday's brew day, the first pic is my XXXX rip off next to a glass of the real thing, mine's in the taller glass and looks a bit lighter in color to the original, but maybe it's just the glass. I'll have to do it again with two identical glasses. The flavors were pretty much the same though.

The second beer is an English ale that I brewed using some home made crystal malt made from Maris Otter base malt. It has cleared up a little more since then, but the flavor from the crystal is noticeable in this beer. Not overpowering, but noticeable. It reminds me of Caraaroma, just not quite as intense. It's quite an enjoyable beer and I will definitely be making more crystal malt at some stage.

The third is an APA brewed with Cascade, Citra and Simcoe hops. The cloudiness is from the yeast refusing to drop out, but it's only second generation and I've found with these liquid yeasts that they seem to flocculate much better from generation 3 onwards, although the XXXX was done with a first gen 2042 and it dropped like a stone. The flavor and aroma from the hopping schedule is very nice though, reminiscent of 4 Pines but not exactly the same. Hopefully it does clear up a bit more over the time it sits on tap, but it is a delicious beer in any case. cool

1491905669_19_656.JPG

1491905689_02_987.JPG

1491905708_57_614.JPG

Cheers

Kelsey

Got back from work yesterday and finally got to taste my Ghost Ship inspired Pale Ale.

4 weeks in the bottle.

Coopers Real Ale can

Coopers Light LME can

500gm Light DME

200gm white sugar

250gm Cara Rye steeped 30 mins

30gm Citra 5 min boil then 15 min steep

20gm Cascade 5 min boil then 15 min steep

Dry hop 25gm Citra on day 5

Wyeast West Yorkshire Ale 1469

Made a 2litre starter keeping 600ml for next brew.

41 IBUs

OG 1.058

FG 1.011

It's different to the Adnams but it's bloody nice!

Love the 1469, the Citra and Cascade together is delish.

Also first time using cara rye..

Yum

Might do a bigger dry hop next time though

Cheers

James

by7hd7f.png

Treasure Ale. 5.75% abv. Vienna, Crystal, Rye and Redback malts with Topaz and Simcoe. Super juicy. These won't last. Maybe they'll convince me to brew more ales though...

edit: thanks, Nan, for the perfect glass for the occasion kissing

Hey Rowbrew, I have Simcoe and Columbus on the way in an online hop order.

These two have a reputation as piney and resinous yeah? I love that profile in an APA, nice complement to the citrus flavours.

How did u find those two hops as hop tea and dry? Good dank?

Hey joolbag, yes they do have that reputation and thats what i was chasing with this one, although i didn't get much pine/dankness from it.

My recipe was

1 Brew A IPA tin

1kg LDM

25g Columbus hop tea

25g Simcoe hop tea

25g Columbus dry

25g Simcoe dry

US05

18 litres

I was expecting a nice piney hoppy flavour and aroma, but when it was young i got this sulfur type aroma from it. Very disappointing. Its now about 3 months old and all the off flavours/aromas have mellowed and its quite nice. Next time i do it ill probably use an APA tin and do a short boil instead of a hop tea. So in summary i didn't get pine or dank but it ended up being quite a nice beer once aged

Last night tasted first ever brew from a keg.

Real ale can with light malt can, Cara rye, DME and a bit of white sugar

40gms of Citra boiled for 10 mins

20 gms of Cascade boiled for 10 mins

30 gms of Citra dry hopped .

20 gms of Cascade dry hopped

Tropical Stone fruit and spicy grapefruit - creamy and delicious!

Reminds a bit of the hop hog, don't know if that's got Citra in it though?

Don't think this keg will last last long, better get another brew on!

Cheers

James

TC Series Bootmaker Pale Ale

1kg DME

15gr Galaxy 10min steep

Rehydrated kit yeast

20ltr Volume

Definitely has some hop kick. Can smell the passion fruit notes from the Galaxy. No home brew twang in this one. happy

1 of my English Bitters. 2 weeks on tap 4 weeks total in Keg. A little chill haze but i don't mind. Its brother batch which blew last night was 4 weeks on tap 4 weeks total in keg and it was crystal clear. I think this one will be the same in 2 weeks time.

1493526135_05_231.jpg

I've had my Heinz 57 keg on tap this weekend, trying to bring its volume down a bit in time for the kegging of whatever the hell is in the fermenter at the moment. This beer is a blend of two batches: APA with Cascade, Citra and Simcoe, and an English style ale brewed with home made crystal malt. It actually tastes really good, the individual beers are great in their own right but they obviously work well blended together as well.

It's proving to be an interesting experimental thing having this 10L keg and blending surplus of a couple of batches in it. I effectively make a third mini batch from two existing ones and most of the time it works because I don't use vastly differing styles like a Bo Pils and a Robust Porter together which I can imagine would be rather odd. Plus I don't have to faff around with any bottles tongue

Ricession Ale (Rye Session Ale)

Beautiful, and I think I've found this mid strength Nirvana that Anthony is seeking. The Rye., Munich and Maris Otter are great together, however it is the Chinook, Simcoe, Galaxy, Cascade combination that really set it off. I'm get piney grapefruit but not bitter fruit even though the IBU is 43 IBU and3.8%. There are some bready tones as well that are pleasant. A good combo all-round.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 2 weeks later...
Ricession Ale (Rye Session Ale)

Sounds nice bud!

For me

Porter. 5.4% 50 IBU. Choco coffee and a hint of liquorice.

Stout. 7.2% 50 IBU. Bittered with Columbus. Will do again. With MORE hops. Lovely and roasty.

Brown Eye IPA. 6% 60 IBU. Superb actually. Needs more bitterness though, Cascade dry hop is really mellow at this stage. I find dry hopdeness increases to around 4 weeks then drops off.

A gold medal brew bandit

My Pirate Life Pale Ale clone. The original draught version won a gold medal recently and as mine is a dead ringer I consider myself to be drinking a gold medal brew.

Brewtiful

Cheers & Beers

Scotie

Valley Brew

Today I have been enjoying a few different beers.

From the keg, a freshly tapped little Pale Ale using Wakatu, Cascade & Amarillo. Recently finished a 640ml PET of wet hopped IPA made by Dr. Smurto shared through a case swap I was involved in, & now drinking one of the leftover bottles I have of my 4th-5th brewing of Canadian Eh!L's Big Island Oaked IPA that I made for the same said case swap.

Drinking-wise, a very enjoyable day today. coolhappy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Indulging an early sampling of a recent Red Ale, one of two American Ambers I'm sitting on the moment. This one features Gladfield Shepherd's Delight and Redback malts, supplemented with Motueka and Taiheke hops, all of which seem to have resulted in a very nice beer indeed! I've brewed quite a few ambers and feel I have now finally got a nice balance that suits my palate. The other amber is also a nice drink but quite different to his one. I prefer this one - *glug* *glug* *glug* ... w00t

Archived