Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking 2017 ?

ben 10

Hi guys.

Yesterday I fast carbed up my Budvar fermented Enterprising Lager brew, & poured one earlier.

The yeast has provided a nice malty tone to the beer, the glass lacing is very good, & there are subtle hop notes. Apart from that it's missed the mark in quite a few areas I was looking for. sad

The malt grist will need some changes. Likely shifting toward some Munich or Vienna malt grain & using any crystal purely for colour adjustment. The hopping will have to be adjusted & increased. I will use a similar yeast for the next brewing, & will evaluate it against the grist changes next time as it too may need to be changed.

I won't be wasting my time with gelatin based finings again. The beer didn't end up dramatically clearer than when I normally just cold crash it without them! annoyed

The beer itself is still a nice beer to drink, just different than what I was shooting for.

No biggy, just back to the drawing board. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gelatine doesn't work as well on chill haze, it's more aimed at dropping yeast out. It will remove some, but it likely won't clear it completely like Polyclar does. I know some people swear by it but I had less than great results with it myself. The batch was bottled and some bottles were clearer than others. After that I ditched it.

That being said if you've only just put the keg on tap then the yeast wouldn't have dropped out fully yet anyway... see what it's like in a couple of weeks if it lasts that long.

78TYs1V.png

Spot-on Czech Pilsner. This is the third of the batch I've tried but the first two were undercarbed. Hard to find a flaw with it!

Only problem? My partner is due to give birth on Wednesday and I probably shouldn't drink more than a couple tonight. You know, just in case. Typical kid, already getting in the way of my drinking plans...

Congrats on the beer Jeremy, it looks great in the glass. cool

Good luck to you & your partner over the next few days for a smooth arrival of the new addition to your family.

After that day, life as you know it, is over. tongue

Cheers & good brewing (while you still can),

Lusty.

Congrats on the beer Jeremy' date=' it looks great in the glass. [img']cool[/img]

Good luck to you & your partner over the next few days for a smooth arrival of the new addition to your family.

After that day, life as you know it, is over. tongue

Cheers & good brewing (while you still can),

Lusty.

Thanks, Lusty! She's going to be kid #2 so we're all pretty relaxed about it... Maybe a little too relaxed... I'm also going to get a bit of paid paternity leave this time round, which will make life easier. I reckon I'll fit a new brew in before too long, but I think I'm just going to restrain myself to bottling this weekend.

Bright Ale from a Coopers long neck. This us the second one that has a distinct Belgian flavour that didn't exist in the keg. Maybe the secondary ferment in the garage ay temps over 30 degrees has brought out some unique s from the US05. I drank this after tipping the first a couple of weeks ago.

It's been 7 weeks in the bottle, hopefully it gets better - only 4 bottles left though.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

drinking a vintage ale i made and it has really improved alot with more conditioning, not really my sort of beer but is nice to have a couple of, bloody strong though , couple of these and you feel em , seems it really has taken longer than other ales ive made to show its best. cheers folks

Hi wild dog.

drinking a vintage ale i made and it has really improved alot with more conditioning' date=' not really my sort of beer but is nice to have a couple of, bloody strong though , couple of these and you feel em , seems it really has taken longer than other ales ive made to show its best. cheers folks[/quote']

Your description of the beer sounds spot on for what it is meant to produce. This beer will only get better with further aging.

If you're in AUS, do yourself a favour & hold some of them back until the Winter. Given the timing of brewing the recipe, they will drink like "Mother's Milk" come the late Autumn/early Winter. Perfect. love

Good stuff! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Payno.

Knocked back a few of Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale yesterday afternoon - delicious!

I'm glad the beer turned out well for you' date=' & that you are enjoying it. [img']happy[/img] A brewing of this beer is on the cards again soon for me too. I really enjoy drinking this in the late Autumn/early Winter.

On another front, my Budvar yeast fermented "Enterprising Lager" is drinking better & better. It really is becoming quite moreish (for a better word). I'm so used to drinking fresh highly hopped pale ales, it has been a bit of lesson in adjusting to a more malt driven beer & allowing some extra time to let the hop & malt flavours come together.

I'll definitely be playing around a little more with this hoppy, hybrid lager type beer in future brews. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

LOL, I'm drinking a Lusty Amber too.

Malty lagers are good.

I made a few faux lagers with MJs cali common yeast. They were / are amber and very nice indeed. I read into the style and a Steam Beer used to more on the amber side of things.

Love beer, love making beer.

Have had a pale ale hopped with Idaho 7 sitting in the back of the cupboard for a couple of weeks and cracked the first one today. Quite unusual but I like it a lot. I can taste the black tea that is often mentioned and what I taste as nectarine (but I think is described by those who know as apricot) and some citrus. Next batch I might split it and keep one as the single hop. The other one I am thinking I might to put some Nelson Sauvin with it, perhaps as a tea.

Also cracked a southern brown ale (fuggle and willamette). Very nice indeed.

Alex

Ben10 & I mail each other a few beers from time to time.

Anyways, I just finished sampling a recent version of his well known "Benny's Big Red Rye".

Big, Bold, Red, Ballsy, Bitter.

You can tell it's got some alcohol behind it, but barely detect it in tasting. A lovely beer full of flavour & enjoyable to drink that didn't last long in the 2 glasses I poured. cool

I admit I won't be drinking too many more glasses of beer past those tonight! tongue

I'm looking forward to the sour & Lemon Myrtle Saison that was also kindly sent, down the track. cool

Thanks mate. wink

Lusty.

Thanks mate. wink

Kind words and thank you. That is my only recipe I continue to make.

I drank Lusty's and they go to show how whatever the ingredients the end result can be as good as any other.

Both were crackers. Good hop presence. Just stellar beers I would happily buy.

I finally have my own brews on tap again here, so I've tried a couple of them tonight, being the XXXX Bitter rip off and the almost 4 Pines pale ale. I'll get photos next weekend during a brew day I have planned.

The Fourex knock off is suitably bland, so I've probably created something quite close to the real thing there, and it will be good for after mowing the lawn or something like that. Will grab a real one during the week for a side by side test next weekend, but I'm looking forward to the lager tap being taken back by Bo Pils on the next block of 3 kegs.

The almost 4 Pines pale ale is bloody delicious though. I'm sure it will improve with another week or two in the keg but even early on it's great. This beer featured Cascade, Citra and Simcoe hops (Amarillo being the missing one that's in 4 Pines). Quite a big fruity aroma and flavor from the 60g dry hop (20g of each) plus the 30 or 40g of each that went in as late boil/flameout additions. It does have a similar hop presence to the 4 Pines but the malt side of things isn't the same. I might try increasing the mash temp a bit next time. It was never intended as a clone anyway, I just figured since those 4 hops were in it and I have 3 of them, they obviously work together and I was proven right with this brew. I'll sample it again on Monday night and see how it's going.

The English ale is carbing up at serving pressure so it's probably still reasonably flat, but I will pour a small amount later and see how it's going anyway.

Cheers

Kelsey

Things are looking up...getting to the end of the crystal-overload Rogers clone, which has settled down a bit now, part way through my big island ipa (based on a real ale kit) and just tapped a coopers pale based saison. 3 of the 4 taps in the keezer being used now and another Cerveza about to go on in a couple of weeks once it carbs.

Archived