Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking 2017 ?

ben 10

https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/14975/ was last years.

I am drinking my Hopped Out IPA.

This brew I ballsed up. The first time I made it the flameout hops went in at first wort.

The second time I made it as per recipe.

Recipe: Hopped Out IPA

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American IPA

TYPE: All Grain' date=' BIAB, No Chill

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.059 SG

Estimated Color: 9.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 60.9 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 66.7 %

1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 5 16.7 %

1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 6 16.7 %

50.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %'] - Firs Hop 7 29.8 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -

20.00 g Brewer's Gold [13.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Brewer's Gold [13.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 10 7.9 IBUs

20.00 g Calypso [13.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 11 7.7 IBUs

20.00 g Calypso [13.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 13 7.4 IBUs

20.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 m Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Comet [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 m Hop 15 4.9 IBUs

20.00 g Comet [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 mi Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Stee Hop 17 3.3 IBUs

20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Stee Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Brewer's Gold [13.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Da Hop 19 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Calypso [13.30 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 21 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Comet [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 22 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Dry Hop 23 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note - the Steep Hops showing 0 IBU will be added after a 15 minute wait post boil.

Immediately post Flame Out there will be 100g hops added, the 15 minutes later another 100g.

The above was the correct recipe.

Both are really good beers. The Good one is more fruity - of course.

Both have a strong bitterness and are great to drink. The hop combo is stellar.

Software suggests the Bad brew is around 150 IBU, certainly doesn't taste significantly more bitter than the Good brew, just different/

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only home brew I have that is ready for drinking at the moment is my APA. Everything else is still too young so I am playing the waiting game. Once I'm done with this I'll finish off with a SNPA (still collecting the bottles so have a few more to get through..... lol)

Chinook%20APA_zpsoanmdmhu.jpg

A pint of my Citra pale ale currently. It's tasting better now than it was a week or so ago when it was first on tap. The schedule of kegs going on tap has been mucked up a bit by my holidays and NYE, so I'm betting that I'll probably run out of beer before the next three are filled after the Simcoe pale ale brew is done. I at least have the 10L keg to get through as well when one of these beers runs out.

Once I go back to work things will return to normal though.

Lagers are all i have left after Christmas.

Lager Citra (basic lager with 20g hoptea as per Ben10 post on some thread -really nice)

Mid-strength lager with nelson sauvin ( not so nice)

I have been doing the old "add a little of the beer I don't like to a glass of the one I do"

Sampling the Bavarian Pils i brewed a little while back

Little darker than intended , little residual malt / honey sweetness at the back end so not what i aimed for but still a very nice and clean beer if i call it something else for upcoming local comp

i really should just stick to APA since i can do those well , this was for guys at work who found my last gifts too fruity or too bitter

I just blew the keg of Citra / Galaxy APA last night and today that keg will receive a Mandarina Bavaria APA which was dry hopped with 60g of Citra. Still drinking a keg of TTLA knock off and have another keg of it sitting cold on gas as well as an ESB ready to drink any time.

My Citra pale ale, looking and tasting very nice after a week and a half or so in the keg fridge. It was kegged on Xmas eve. I can definitely see how this hop would work with others after trying it by itself though. The next proper APA I do will feature a couple of other hops along with Citra.

Now that I've finished that beer and the brew day, I have to go clean out the grain bag crying before doing some lawn tidying up. The urn and hop sock can wait until tomorrow now.

I won't be uploading any pics of the Bohemian pilsner that's also on tap because it looks like absolute crap... chill haze got it good this time around. It tastes ok but not as nice as some previous batches. I'll do one more batch with the current lot of yeast; I suspect it's probably on its way out. 20 odd months of re-use isn't bad going for a $13.50 pack though.

1483942288_51_998.JPG

Cheers

Kelsey

I'd say that's very good value for money Kelsey.

I've consumed most of my "lager" (ale yeast) and amber ale, I'm holding on to a few for the weekend when a mate drops over, drank all of my ciders.

Got some more ciders going, and I'm patiently waiting for my first hopped APA to condition.

Golden Ale that was pitched on Christmas eve. I worried about this one as the wort sat in my Garage for a week before being opened on 23rd (son bought for birthday). Then had couple hot days during the ferment. It actually tastes great but needs little more gas and enough time for it to settle in the keg.

I also have a nice cider on tap which has been in the fridge for couple of weeks, I have one every night but takes some time to finish a keg when drinking it yourself.

Kelsey, I'm interested in going all grain but don't want to spend much cash on the equipment. I have a T500 Still and wondered if you use your Urn with the lid off?

Yeah I dunno how many generations I got out of that smack pack, as I did lose track of it a little bit for a while about a year ago, but I certainly saved a lot of money on lager yeasts by re-using it for so long. It's a bloody good yeast though, I'd definitely use it again although I want to try a few other strains before I do. I also re-use ale yeasts in the same way, it's great because I tend to stick to certain strains for each style I brew so I don't have to buy yeast very often anymore. When I try a new strain, if I like it then I just keep re-using it until it produces a bad batch.

Titan, the urn is used both with the lid on and off. The lid is left on during the mash, but when I'm bringing the wort to the boil and then boiling it, the lid is left off. I just googled that T500 still and it says it comes with a 25 litre boiler. I'm not sure what size batches you are aiming to brew but with a boiler that size I reckon about 15 litres would be the max, unless you brewed it concentrated and diluted it in the fermenter later. My urn is 40L and at a stretch I could probably get 27/28 litre batches out of it.

Cheers

Kelsey

Figured I might as well post the crappy looking pilsner anyway... this glass I had earlier this arvo. Hopefully the next one I brew doesn't suffer from this bloody haze BS annoyed. Every other batch bar one was beautiful and clear, so I'm not sure what went wrong with this one but at least it hasn't affected the flavour aside from possibly my perception of it.

1484058634_39_426.JPG

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Brew Dudes

Drinking my Country Bitter which is excellent. When I finished my Steirmark Ale I was almost over English Bitters and really craving some American Ales which are about a month away. However this one will make the wait enjoyable.

Country Bitter

20l

FG 1.041, FG 1.009 4.3% ABV

3V, Batch Sparge

60 minute boil

Maris Otter 53%

Vienna Malt 40%

Crystal (250EBC) 7%

20g Fuggle FWH

10g Magnum @ 60 min

15g Fuggle @ 12 min

15g Styrian Golding @ 5 min

Nottingham

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Well currently drinking an Orange Blossom Saison. First go at this style and I'm liking it more with every glass. Guess at 6% plus, you get to feel happier the more you drink.

Next up is a Toasted Sunflower Weissbier and a CPA treated with Citra.

The first on is specifically for our local show out here in the boonies. We have a yearly theme and this year it is sunflowers. Okay, you can take piccies or sew and knit stuff with sunflowers in them, but I thought, well, why not. Found a recipe and will have a go. Basically it is a wheat beer with a dry hop of sunflower kernels.

See we also have a prize, in each category, for the best use of the theme. Don't think I will have a lot of opposition.

The CPA is my first try with citra. From what I've read on here, the PA goes very well with citra. The wheat beer above actually uses Bavarian Wheat yeast with Super Pride hops.

But for now, it is my Saison. Off to Brisbane for a week on Saturday, so want to get these other two down before I go. Next up for dsrinking is my Dark Side Jaffa Porter, lots of specialty grains, super pride, Mandarina Bavaria, and cascade hops. Yeast is 2 pkts S-04. Can't wait to taste it. Tasting during fermentation was beautifully malty, so my tongue is hanging out.

Cheers

Bill

Hiya Ben. smile

Drinking this https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/14970/?page=39 (post 777).

One of the better IPAs I have brewed' date=' distinct citra smell, amazing orange flavour with a good bittereness.[/quote']

If that is the 300gm hopped IPA recipe of yours, I'd @#$%ing hope so!! tonguelol

Glad it appears to have turned out well. happy

A 5 hop variety IPA with them all scattered at various points. It's a real mixed bag in terms of hops used, being a blend of typical UK, USA, & NZ hops. I'd be interested in your descriptions of what you smell & taste.

I'd think the depth & usage of the UK hops in particular should make this beer more enjoyable as it ages.

Lusty.

We've been sitting on the balcony of an evening, bravely battling the Adelaide heat armed only with a few longnecks. She has been drinking my raspberry saison and cherry ale, while I've been enjoying Dr Smurto's and a Munich-style lager. Much joy.

Ok, it's only extract brewing, but I'm enjoying my first hopped PA, and compared to my first 2 batches, it's really something, makes my first 2 batches taste like carbonated piss.

Just a Coopers APA tin, 1kg LDM, tin yeast, dry hopped with cascade, that's it.

Good god, I can't wait for future batches, it's only up from here, I'm doing my first RCCCY batch, no doubt that will be even better.

I'll keep punching out kits until I can afford to level up to AG.

Cheers all,

JP

Archived