30.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 12 3.2 IBUs

30.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 13 2.5 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 14 1.9 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 15 2.4 IBUs

25.00 g El Dorado [12.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs

surprised Somebody likes hops!

I think I would like most of the beers that Xenon posts up as they are generally heavy handed with the late hops, and this is no exception! I'm going to experiment with some big hop bills in my APAs and IPAs and decide for myself if it is worth it and if I get the ROI I am hoping for.

Yum Xenon. I am a massive fan of Galaxy and Mosaic, but haven't had them together. I imagine they will play well. Not familiar with El Dorado, but will have to either track down a commercial beer which highlights it, or just buy some and brew my own

The krausen is dying down on the Coopers Best Extra Stout clone attempt I have in my fermenter at the moment. I took a gravity sample and it is now down to 1.1016.

From tasting the sample I think it is going to be a) delicious and b) very, very close to the real thing. I'm especially happy with the way the yeast character seems to have come through - nice and subtle, but unmistakeable for anything else but Coopers.

Cheers,

John

Hi guys.

I've just fished out the dry hops on one of my current brews & squeezed all the hop goodness back into the beer, & then set the fridge to CC it for a few days. It smelled terrific. I'll likely keg this on Sunday just in time for a few on my birthday the day after. happy

I put a Saison down on Monday & arrived home late yesterday expecting to hear the airlock still bubbling away, but this was not the case. The Belle Saison yeast has shredded the 1.053 OG wort in under 3 days!

The gravity reading has it at @ 1.010 & is likely finished given the expected 1.009 FG. Quite remarkable really.

As far as fermented beers go it looks like there's been a war going on in there with heaps of trub at the bottom (way more than normal) as an aftermath of the vigorous ferment.

Very disappointed in the colour from the gravity sample I took as the roasted barley quantity hasn't had the affect on the final hue of the beer I was expecting. The recipe I followed used just 6gms in a 19 litre brew, so I used 10gms in my 22 litre brew. The picture of his brew has a lovely amber to ruby hue. Maybe the recipe designer missed a digit when posting the recipe? unsure

Flavours & aromas are good though. The dry hop I have planned should compliment it well.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Very disappointed in the colour from the gravity sample I took as the roasted barley quantity hasn't had the affect on the final hue of the beer I was expecting. The recipe I followed used just 6gms in a 19 litre brew' date=' so I used 10gms in my 22 litre brew. The picture of his brew has a lovely amber to ruby hue. Maybe the recipe designer missed a digit when posting the recipe? [img']unsure[/img]

I daresay they did miss a zero there. I usually throw in about 10g black malt in my pilsners to get them away from that yucky pale straw color (it just reminds me of shitty American swill) to more of the golden hue that they actually are, but it certainly isn't enough to make it amber/ruby. 60g in 19 litres would be more appropriate.

Interesting addition there Kelsey. I've seen Ben10 also do 10g of black patent in one of his lighter brews.

I quite like the pale colour as coming from extract it was never possible! So I love my pale straw pilsner as they match what I expect of the style and the commercial examples.

That's the great thing about homebrew. Do what you want. Whatever u want to drink, look at, smell, etc

Very disappointed in the colour from the gravity sample I took as the roasted barley quantity hasn't had the affect on the final hue of the beer I was expecting. The recipe I followed used just 6gms in a 19 litre brew' date=' so I used 10gms in my 22 litre brew. The picture of his brew has a lovely amber to ruby hue. Maybe the recipe designer missed a digit when posting the recipe? [img']unsure[/img]

I daresay they did miss a zero there.
Yup... I agree. When I go for that ruby look in my reds/ambers I'm usually tossing in around 50g roasted barley. Seems likely they probably meant 60g in your recipe.

Interesting addition there Kelsey. I've seen Ben10 also do 10g of black patent in one of his lighter brews.

I quite like the pale colour as coming from extract it was never possible! So I love my pale straw pilsner as they match what I expect of the style and the commercial examples.

That's the great thing about homebrew. Do what you want. Whatever u want to drink' date=' look at, smell, etc[/quote']

Yep, each to their own. I don't see the point at all of small additions of dark roasted grains to tweak colour and have stopped doing this quite a while ago now. For me, flavour is the main game!

Colour and flavour are two very different things. For example take 2 approaches to making a dunkelweizen, one with perhaps pale wheat malt, munich malt, pils malt and some Carafa Special (dehusked) to get the colour 'right'. Compare this with one made with 50% dark wheat and 50% munich II and there is no contest. Both will be the same colour, but the second is so much tastier.

That is an obvious example of course, but the concept is also applicable to the APA style. Is adding some dark roasted grain to get a darker colour producing a lesser beer by simulating the colour of a different grist that would in fact have more depth of flavour? Now if you are looking for a hint of roast, then I can understand it. But if not, well something's not quite right here ...

Cheers,

John

I suspect some of the commercial breweries doing traditional pilsners are using decoction mashes (I know Urquell does) which probably gives them the more golden color without using small additions of dark grains. But I can't be arsed doing a decoction, especially in a BIAB set up, so it's a simple way to achieve what I want. Flavor is the primary concern for me as well but I also like to enjoy the appearance of my beers.

I don't use this technique in pale ales because it wouldn't give me the flavor I wanted to use pale, Munich and 20-30g of black malt. It works in pilsners because the flavor is already there and the grains are only a color adjustment but you wouldn't use it in styles where it would be detrimental to the flavor.

My Styrians ESB is down to 1.018 after approximately 71 hours since yeast pitch. It got going quite quickly, and likely only has about 5-6 points left, maybe 7, so it should be done by tomorrow or Sunday and then I'll give it 2-3 days to clean up a bit before a week of cold crashing then into the keg and bottles surprised.

The krausen has nearly reached the lid of the fermenter which is a bit odd to me considering it's pretty much finished. I've raised the controller to 22C where it will sit until it's CC'd, but the sample is tasting pretty awesome already. It's a bit sweet, but I expect that will be lessened once it's properly finished and also when some carbonation is there to provide a bit more bite to offset it.

Overall looking forward to tasting it, and I'll most likely brew a lot more with Styrians if this one turns out well. happy

Cheers

Kelsey

Out of curiosity, what was your recipe Kelsey?

I just kegged an English Bitter using 5kg MO, 0.25kg wheat and 0.25kg Crystal 60L, using WLP002

20g Challenger at 60min, 20 g EKG @10 and 20g EKG at whirlpool for 20 mins, then no-chilled.

Could taste it a bit sweet, but hopefully settles a bit after sitting on CO2 for 2 weeks.

Hi Matty, this is the recipe I came up with. Also no-chilled.

Grains

4.500 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.6 EBC) Grain 3 91.8 %

0.200 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.1 %

0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 5 2.0 %

0.100 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 6 2.0 %

Mashed at 67C or so for 60-70 minutes, raised to 72C for 15 minutes before mash out at 78C

Hops

20.00 g Styrian Goldings {2.60 %} - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 7 5.8 IBUs

42.00 g Fuggle {5.40 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 22.0 IBUs

20.00 g Styrian Goldings {2.60 %} - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 3.1 IBUs

20.00 g Styrian Goldings {2.60 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 1.8 IBUs

20.00 g Styrian Goldings {2.60 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 11 1.3 IBUs

75 minute boil

Fermenting with 1469 yeast at 21C until today obviously.

On the brew day itself I altered the recipe slightly by adding 20g of chocolate malt just to darken it a bit, and I also increased the Fuggle addition to 49g because the bag was nearly empty after weighing 42g, and the steep/whirlpool addition of Styrians was 26g (I probably weighed a couple of the other additions a bit more than 20g), because I didn't see any point in keeping 6g for a dry hop.

I thought this increased hopping might have made it too bitter but the Fuggles aren't that new so their AA% is probably down a bit, it should turn out pretty balanced in the end.

...Styrian Goldings {2.60 %}...

Bahahaha! lol

Does that beat your all-time low alpha on that Saaz brew? ROFL! tongueunsure

Do you remember that "mud" comment you made about my hoppy brews? I'd like to see the bottom of your kettle after some of these! LOL! lol

No wonder you went out & bought some more citric acid recently! biggrin

Cheers & good brewing' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Nope, the Saaz were 1.3% lol. This particular batch contained about 140g of hops in the kettle and were contained in a hop spider so there wasn't much in the bottom of it tongue. Still got my target 25L into the FV which is the main thing.

I've taken two samples from it the past two days, yesterday's was sitting about 1.013, today it's dropped to 1.012. I'll give it another day because in all reality it should have finished 4 or 5 days ago, but tomorrow it'll be dropped to 0C for a week before it goes into the keg and some bottles. It's tasting less sweet now which is good, seems quite nicely balanced. Definitely looking forward to tasting it once it's properly ready.

As for the citric acid, I always clean my urn with it because it removes boil scale really well and brings it up like new every time. This is one instance where I don't like using sodium perc, it just doesn't seem to clean it as well.

Just dry hopped this one yesterday. Will CC in another day or two then keg/bottle on weekend. Sample tasted amazing. Nice bitterness (approx 65 IBU) and a delicious fruity flavour. Should be a big hit at Xmas i reckon biggrin

Kens "Hopical IPA"

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU

7.00 kg Pale Ale Malt (Bairds) (4.9 EBC) Grain 1 85.4 %

0.60 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 2 7.3 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 3 3.7 %

0.30 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 4 3.7 %

15.00 g Warrior [16.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 21.2 IBUs

15.00 g El Dorado [12.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 9.0 IBUs

15.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 11.0 IBUs

15.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 8.2 IBUs

0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 9 -

30.00 g El Dorado [12.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 10 2.0 IBUs

30.00 g El Dorado [12.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 11 2.6 IBUs

30.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 12 3.2 IBUs

30.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 13 2.5 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 14 1.9 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 15 2.4 IBUs

1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 16 -

25.00 g El Dorado [12.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs

The whirlpool additions went in as the 30 min ones at flameout ' date=' then after 15 minutes I ran the immersion chiller to drop it just below 90c then added the 20 min ones. It's become my defacto late hop addition schedule lately and gives me predictable and delicious results.

[/quote']

And here it is. Better than I expected. Such a delicious , tropical , fruity hop bomb , but a decent malt base and plenty of bitterness. It's been said many times but pretty sure this is my best brew yet. Had a fellow hophead mate try it and he agreed. An absolute cracker!

1512854266_39_634.jpg

just bottled a blonde belgian and a dark belgian,

now a dark ale and a milk stout are in the fridge.. slow on the ferment.. think i may have stuffed the yeast hydration.. got interrupted and forgot the yeast on the counter for a few hours.. may have ot repitch tomorrow.. :(

Kens "Hopical IPA"

And here it is...

Congrats on the beer Xenon! It always looked terrific on paper when you posted it' date=' so I'm not the least bit surprised that it has turned out as well as you say.

Some lovely aromatic hops used & smartly structured I thought. [img']cool[/img]

Well done & enjoy! happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've got a ginger saison in my fermenter at the moment. It's for my sister, so I am using White Labs Clarity ferm to get the gluten levels down. She loves ginger, so it will be a ginger beer with a hint of saison. We had a couple of the BentSpoke Gluten Free Ginger on Saturday night, and it was way too sweet - needed a decent bitterness or acidity or something to balance it out, plus a bit of yeast character for interest. Hence the 30 IBUs and saison yeast in this very simple extract recipe.

Volume: 10 litres (fermenter)

OG: 1.045

IBU: 30

1.5kg Coopers Wheat LME

15g Centennial @60 mins

250g fresh ginger @5 mins (peeled and chopped into fairly small pieces)

11g Belle Saison

White Labs Clarity Ferm

See how it goes ... the wort certainly had a nice strong ginger flavour, so she should be happy.

Cheers,

John

...I am using White Labs Clarity ferm to get the gluten levels down...
I'd be interested to know what kind of job this stuff does' date=' more from a chill-haze reduction point of view. I had considered using it as a clearing agent but it is a bit pricey... [/quote']I looked at it for chill haze too, but the cost outweighed any benefits to me. Both 1 vial of that stuff and a 90g bag of Polyclar are $7.90 each at Craftbrewer, but the difference is that the Polyclar will last between 9-15 standard sized batches depending on how much is required per batch, whereas 1 vial per batch for the Clarity Ferm.

I'd be interested to know what kind of job this stuff does' date=' more from a chill-haze reduction point of view. I had considered using it as a clearing agent but it is a bit pricey... [/quote']I looked at it for chill haze too, but the cost outweighed any benefits to me. Both 1 vial of that stuff and a 90g bag of Polyclar are $7.90 each at Craftbrewer, but the difference is that the Polyclar will last between 9-15 standard sized batches depending on how much is required per batch, whereas 1 vial per batch for the Clarity Ferm.

The crucial difference for me was that clarityferm works without cold-crashing. pouty

I'd be interested to know what kind of job this stuff does' date=' more from a chill-haze reduction point of view. I had considered using it as a clearing agent but it is a bit pricey... [/quote']

G'day BlackSands,

I personally wouldn't use Clarity Ferm as a path to bright beer. Actually in my experience a kettle fining is sufficient.

For my all-grain beers I use BrewBrite in the kettle, give it a bit of time to settle after the boil and siphon clear wort into my cube. I usually bottle after 10 to 14 days in the fermenter and get nice clear beer.

For my kit beers, I don't do anything at all. Coopers must have their kettle fining regime in the kit and extract production spot on, because these come out super-bright.

Cheers,

John

Just goes to show how different experiences can be. The whole reason I started using Polyclar during the cold crash was because the kettle finings weren't doing much to prevent chill haze in the finished beer even with transferring practically clear wort to the cube post boil, but others don't have the same issues. I gotta say though, that Brewbrite stuff is bloody good for dropping out crud in the kettle! I also had varying degrees of chill haze in kit and extract beers for whatever reason.