Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2017

Otto Von Blotto

1.013! So it wasn't done and I was right to leave it and not cold crash too early. I dry hopped (40g Cascade and 40g Amarillo) and set STC to 14C, will leave for 3 days. Whip out the hops and CC for two weeks, then bottle.

Sample tasted very promising for my first IPL!

I took a SG reading of my current brew yesterday & it is within a point of expected FG, so happy about that. I had a swig & it tasted very nice. FWH'ing the Citra, & not pounding the flavour zone of the brew in the boil makes for a very nice undertone through the beer that will be enduring.

So glad I went to the trouble of FWH'ing the brew. A little more time for the dry hop & that should lift the aromatics. Thursday can't come quick enough when I'll have it in a keg. biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I took a reading of my 150 lashes clone today, and it is sitting at 1.010. Smells and tastes great. I think i will dry hop it in a couple of days, and leave them in for 3 days. I usually dry hop for longer times, but i just wanted to try something different with this batch. See what happens

Cheers and Happy Brewing!

After 4 days, I have just squeezed the liquid contained in my dry hop bags back into the beer & removed them.

Smells awesome! joyful

The crash chill has begun & this will be in a keg sometime Thursday.

The beer is modelled on a brew I did around 4 years ago that I rated very highly.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I've got my Fruit Salad Ale currently 5 days in and noticed that the Krausen came and went quite quickly. Really only took like 2 days to disappear. Is this normal with a Fruit Salad Ale? I was brewing it around 19 degrees as I thought the 24 was a bit too high.

Once the Krausen foam disappeared it did seem the top looked a bit "thick" so I wasn't sure if it still has a Krausen on top its just not as obvious as other brews... and the rest of the brew quite cloudy - Having not ever used the Aus Pale Ale before or drank a Coopers Pale Ale, is it quite a cloudy beer in general?

I usually leave my brews for 14 days, but wondering if the Krausen has dropped this quickly, should I just bottle it earlier than that because it wont really 'clean up' anyway because of the type of beer (Obviously will make sure my FG is stable)

I've got my Fruit Salad Ale currently 5 days in and noticed that the Krausen came and went quite quickly. Really only took like 2 days to disappear. Is this normal with a Fruit Salad Ale? I was brewing it around 19 degrees as I thought the 24 was a bit too high.

What yeast are you using for this brew? ...and 24°C is not too high for this particular brew as a yeast derived ester is encouraged.

Once the Krausen foam disappeared it did seem the top looked a bit "thick" so I wasn't sure if it still has a Krausen on top its just not as obvious as other brews... and the rest of the brew quite cloudy

Sounds like there is still krausen present & the haziness means it's likely still fermenting. The bulk of the primary ferment is likely over & the yeast is now cleaning up after itself. In the coming days the yeast will begin to drop out & the beer will clear as an end result. wink

...Having not ever used the Aus Pale Ale before or drank a Coopers Pale Ale' date=' is it quite a cloudy beer in general?[/quote']

The commercial version is but this is only due to natural yeast driven carbonation in the bottle/keg. What you are viewing is still active fermentation.

I usually leave my brews for 14 days' date=' but wondering if the Krausen has dropped this quickly, should I just bottle it earlier than that because it wont really 'clean up' anyway because of the type of beer (Obviously will make sure my FG is stable)[/quote']

Allow your hydrometer to tell you when the brew is finished. Two identical readings over consecutive days will confirm the brew has finished fermenting. The SG reading once settled will determine whether the beer is safe to bottle.

Cheers,

Lusty.

All these recipes look very impressive! I've just got a ginger beer - Old beer mix bottled and waiting for opening in about two weeks. So of a dark ginger ale.

Used my 8.5l craft FV filled to about 10l. Half cans of Brigalow ginger beer can and Morgans Old Beer.

Added 500gms of Brigalow extra malt

Prebottling taste was OK.

Just dry hopped my 150 lashes clone with 20g Willamette and 20g Amarillo. Im trying a couple of different things with my dry hop technique. This time i have used a heavy stainless steel bolt to weigh down the bag, and i have also set the temp controller to 14°C. I read in the DIYDOG article that brewdog dry hops at those temps. I guess we will wait and see. Also i am only dry hopping it for 3 days instead of my usual 5 or so

Cheers!

Didn't bother taking a second reading on my pilsner, it's at the expected FG and even if it's a point or two off it, I'm kegging anyway so who really gives a crap... if there is anything left to finish off it can do so when the keg warms back up lol. So, the fridge is set to 0C and the beer is coming down. I had to take the probe off the FV to move the brew fridge because SWMBO decided she wanted to turn the old spare room where the computer and fridge was into a spare bedroom and move that stuff into the room that was meant to be the spare bedroom. Luckily the batch was in its D-rest stage so it didn't really matter, so I just left the probe off and changed the STC hysteresis to 2C instead of the usual 0.3C. Will add isinglass tomorrow, and Polyclar over the weekend and keg it next Saturday.

Today I'm off to Craftbrewer in my break to pick up some more Polyclar, as well as some citric acid for cleaning the urn (to tie me over until I order some in bulk), and some Styrian Goldings hops to try in an ESB I'm brewing on the weekend. I've been meaning to try this hop for ages and now that I've used up all my EKG finally, I'm gonna give it a go. Still got a reasonable amount of Fuggle to get through as well.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Kelsey, what APA hops do you have or are planning to buy next for your rotation of APAs?

I sourced some Riwaka from BeerCo, rather keen to try that in an APA soon given the reviews it gets here and online.

Will order Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe, Cascade and Centennial from Yakima Valley hops shortly. Waiting for the 2017 harvest of Simcoe pellets to be released, then will get 4lbs shipped here. Pity the $33 freight option has a hard limit of 4lbs. Will probably only get 1/2 pound bags of Cascade and Centennial because they are readily available here

Sounds like a good plan. How long do you generally store your hops? Fresh is definitely best, but I haven't read much about how quickly hop flavour and aroma diminishes in pellets. Assuming vacuum sealed after each use and stored in the freezer.

I have been reading a new book and some of the recipes for full-on American hop bombs contain at least 200gm of hops per 20L batch, some up to 420gm! a 4lb order from Yakima Valley would only last 4 x 23L batches at those hopping rates!!! w00t

Sounds like a good plan. How long do you generally store your hops? Fresh is definitely best' date=' but I haven't read much about how quickly hop flavour and aroma diminishes in pellets. Assuming vacuum sealed after each use and stored in the freezer.

[/quote']For as long as it takes to use them up really, there's no real standard because they get used up at different rates. The Chinook is about 4 years old I think, but the others are under a year. Saaz only lasts about 6 months due to the higher amounts used in the pilsners and the regularity at which they are brewed.

i am going to try to keep a rotation of hops and brew with the seasons to ensure I am using the freshest pellets. Shouldn't be too hard with some good planning. They should all be used up under a year, most likely much sooner.

So will buy northern hemisphere hops (Citra/Centennial/Mosaic/Simcoe/Saaz/etc) in from Oct/Nov each year and use them until the southern hemisphere harvest (Galaxy/Riwaka/Motueka/etc) is available.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Pineapple IPA ROTM in my small fermenter in the fridge.

I've also got my 2nd ever all grain batch, a citra saison, bubbling away at ambient temps in the spare bedroom. The sample I tasted before pitching was great.

My first all grain batch, a pale, was only bottled the other day so I'm yet to sample any of my work. Got a bit keen and brewed the saison before I've tasted any. It's a bit of a waiting game now. Fingers crossed I haven't got it all wrong haha

As of today I now have 2 brews on the go. I put down a Saison a little earlier today. Unfortunately I feel it's going to turn out more amber than ruby coloured that I was shooting for. Maybe I should have left the Amber malt out? No biggy though. Smelled good. That will ferment under ambient conditions in my spare room.

The other brew is in my brew fridge to which I added the Galaxy/Citra/Nelson Sauvin dry hop mix to. That will sit for 3-4 days before I begin to crash chill that in readiness for kegging.

Good times ahead. happy

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I've just pitched my ESB brewed with Styrian Goldings for the first time. This beer features a FWH of Styrians, bittering with Fuggles and then three more additions of Styrians at 20 mins, 10 mins and flameout. It worked out at about 38IBUs which was more than I was aiming for but I didn't see much point keeping 6g of Fuggles in a packet so I just threw it in. Maybe it would have been better saved until flameout but it's too late now lol.

Fermented with 1469 West Yorkshire Ale yeast at 21C this time, pitching temp is somewhere around 26C so not too high. OG on this brew was 1.0463, batch size was 25L giving me an efficiency of 75.1%. In other words, all targets were met other than the increased IBUs but some time in the keg will probably see that mellow anyway. Anticipated ABV is 4.3% with an FG of 1.0135, but it may end up fermenting more than that.

Cheers

Kelsey

I arrived home late last night to the tune of my airlock beating away like a congo drum! Man that Saison yeast is a beast! happy Some nice aromas coming from the airlock so fingers crossed.

Post-beginning fermentation I found a Canadian brewery that makes a Chinook Saison that receives fairly good reviews, so hoping my hop choices here pay off. I'm really interested to see what final colour it ends up too.

I've just pitched my ESB brewed with Styrian Goldings for the first time. This beer features a FWH of Styrians' date=' bittering with Fuggles and then three more additions of Styrians at 20 mins, 10 mins and flameout. It worked out at about 38IBUs...[/quote']

...and about 1/3 of a kilo of hops! Bahaha! I'm amazed you got 25L out of it. You must have been squeezing that grain bag for quite a while! tongue Sorry mate I couldn't help it. lol

In all seriousness, it sounds very nice. Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

lol Nah about 140g, 90g of Styrians with the 48/49g of Fuggles. Probably a bit more than my APAs contain in the boil but not over the top like those pilsners earlier in the year tongue. I am looking forward to this one though. Looks like the warmer temp has kicked the yeast in quicker too, it has a 20mm or so krausen on it now at the 17.5 hour mark since pitching so I suspect that has already been there/forming for a few hours.

Because I only had about 6g of Styrians left after weighing out the flameout addition I decided to forego a dry hop and just throw those remaining ones in with the flameout addition as well. So it differs slightly from the recipe posted in the brew day thread, along with that extra amount of Fuggles.

I'm still sad my keg of ESB blew so quickly

Golding and fuggles same as yours with 1469 and was bloody delish !

Currently got a rye XPA and a Smurtos golden fermenting and brewing a german Pils this weekend

About time i got another Coopers pale clone brewed and branching out for a raspberry berliner weisse for the WAGS to enjoy over summer

Just dry hopped this one yesterday. Will CC in another day or two then keg/bottle on weekend. Sample tasted amazing. Nice bitterness (approx 65 IBU) and a delicious fruity flavour. Should be a big hit at Xmas i reckon biggrin

Kens "Hopical IPA"

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU

7.00 kg Pale Ale Malt (Bairds) (4.9 EBC) Grain 1 85.4 %

0.60 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 2 7.3 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 3 3.7 %

0.30 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 4 3.7 %

15.00 g Warrior [16.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 21.2 IBUs

15.00 g El Dorado [12.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 9.0 IBUs

15.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 11.0 IBUs

15.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 8.2 IBUs

0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 9 -

30.00 g El Dorado [12.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 10 2.0 IBUs

30.00 g El Dorado [12.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 11 2.6 IBUs

30.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 12 3.2 IBUs

30.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 13 2.5 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 14 1.9 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 15 2.4 IBUs

1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 16 -

25.00 g El Dorado [12.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs

The whirlpool additions went in as the 30 min ones at flameout , then after 15 minutes I ran the immersion chiller to drop it just below 90c then added the 20 min ones. It's become my defacto late hop addition schedule lately and gives me predictable and delicious results.

Depending on when this beer is ready to package it may end up being the first batch in ages that I actually bottle some from, as the mini keg usually used for the batch surplus is full and currently still carbonating in the kegerator. I've got a feeling it probably won't be empty by the time this batch is ready.

Yet another Pale Ale. I want to try create a nice hoppy brew without any dry hopping - in the manner of a SNPA, which is apparently the most liked APA the world over that I've never tried. Decided to throw in a good amount of rye malt and try out Pacifica hops for the first time:

1 x Coopers (OS) Lager (3.5 SRM) Extract 9 41.5 %

1.0kg Gladfield American Ale Malt 24.4 %

600g Gladfield Malted Rye 14.6 %

400g Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt 9.8 %

400g Sugar 9.8 %

25g Waimea Boil 15.0 min

35g Rakau Boil FO

50g Pacifica Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min

5g Gypsum

Nottingham