200g GF Supernova

200g GF Toffee

100g Sugar

10g Waimea (15 mins)

25g Nelson Sauvin (30min steep)

1 x campden tablet

1 x pkt US-05

OG=1.042 EBC=12.7? IBU=30.5 ABV=4.2%

Yup - fingers crossed for ya BlackSands that the phenolics are gone. I guess it will need a few US05s to confirm it though.

I'm drinking an English Pale at the moment with 0.5 kg of GF toffee whacked into it. 8.5%. Yummy, I think that is far as I will likely go with the toffee as it seems about the right balance for me now.

Yup - fingers crossed for ya BlackSands that the phenolics are gone. I guess it will need a few US05s to confirm it though.
Yeah... probably need to repeat the exercise quite a few times to be sure.

I'm drinking an English Pale at the moment with 0.5 kg of GF toffee whacked into it. 8.5%. Yummy, I think that is far as I will likely go with the toffee as it seems about the right balance for me now.
I don't think I've gone past 7% with toffee, not because I thought that was enough, but more because that's just how it worked out in the recipe. I wonder though when the levels of lighter malts get below 5% whether you really even notice them? unsure

My current IPA looks to have finished fermenting having stopped @ 1.014. Will check it again tomorrow & if it's the same, I'll remove the dry hop tea bags & switch the fridge into cold crash mode with a look to keg it this coming Thursday on my day off.

It smelled & tasted pretty good from the hydro sample I tasted. happy

Next on the cards will be a simple pale ale using some Enigma hops (for the first time) to have a look at what they can do in a beer. Good times ahead.

Cheers,

Lusty.

My Centennial pils is definitely ready to bottle, but unfortunately my kitchen won't be ready for it until Wednesday or Thursday this week. I've spent the weekend doing some repairs and patching up the varnish on the kitchen bench and re-doing the silicone around the sink. Of course it's a very dodgy job that you wouldn't want to pay for, but at least it will be better than it was. The 72 hours of curing time on the silicone has put off bottling for a while unfortunately ...

You seem to get pretty slow lager fermentations Scottie unsure. Mine would be under 1.020 by day 7.

I've still got my SNPA clone cold crashing in the FV. With an impending house move I haven't been too worried about when I keg it like I normally would be, so I'll add the Polyclar tomorrow and keg it Thursday, and then most likely give the fermenter and fridge a break until we're in our new place, since it would be a bit impractical trying to move a fermenter full of beer. I'm not sure when the move will be occurring but I'd rather not have a batch on the go when it happens.

That will give me three full kegs, but I'll probably leave them off tap until after the move too. I'd rather leave them at ambient than chill them down then warm them up and chill them down again. In the meantime I do have most of a carton of Balmain pale ale still to get through, so that'll get in the glass once the current two kegs run dry.

Cheers

Kelsey

And also do you have recipes of your beers posted anyware that I could look at or do you keep that private. Regards Brett

Totally missed this. Most of them I post in the Brew Day thread a day or two before I actually brew them' date=' but they are all grain recipes rather than extracts. Unlike commercial breweries I have no problem with other people trying my recipes if they want to. [img']cool[/img]

You seem to get pretty slow lager fermentations Scottie unsure. Mine would be under 1.020 by day 7.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Kelsey

Still just a beginner. I rehydrated 11.5g of W34/70 in 250ml of cooled (boiled) water and pithed it into a 1.048 wort at 10.5 degrees and set the temp controller to 10.5. Initially I set it at 10 but with a 1 degree hysteresis so it had dropped to 9 degrees next morning. So I closed the hysteresis up to 0.5 and set the setpoint to 10.5.

This morning I upped the temperature setpoint to 17. Tested at 1.019 tonight and its now set at 18 degrees.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Yeah fair enough mate. It's probably underpitched by at least half for that temperature... if you are pitching at low temps like that then you need a lot more cells than is in one packet of dry yeast. I normally pitch about 400-450 billion into mine. It certainly explains the slow progress and probably the diacetyl presence as well.

I am of the view that lagers are better off pitched at or as close to intended fermentation temp as possible, so from that angle it's perfect. You just need to increase the size of the yeast pitch. cool

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Kelsey

I underestimated the effect of a cold snap on my local water supply. It was -2 degrees overnight most of the previous week and this was my coldest brew day ever. Normally I would have been pitching into a 16 degree wort in winter and 20 degrees in summer. I'll keep a spare pack on hand next lager, as I'm also hoping to get the SG up a bit.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I normally pitch into warmer wort too, despite my opinion on it, but I've since discovered that the one shelf that sits in my brew fridge normally in the uppermost position to accommodate the FV, can actually be placed one position lower when there's a cube in there, which will allow me to put the 5L flask in to crash chill it, and the cube of whatever lager underneath to bring its temp down before pitching.

The big flask doesn't fit in with the shelf up higher, so if there's been space in the keg fridge it has gone in there to CC and that's why some worts have been chilled down and others haven't. Now I can chill all my worts down further to get them closer to the ferment temp, especially in summer.

Cheers

Kelsey

I got caught out on Saturday when pitching a cube of a hop hog clone.

I had it stored under my house, in the dark. I didn't even think to bring it up to temperature for pitching. As a result, I pitched at 13.5C! I put the heat belt on and it was up to the STC temp of 18.3C within 8 or so hours. I don't think the yeast was too affected, as the next morning (16hrs in) there was a nice fluffly white krausen.

Yeast is M42 New World Strong Ale, which I've used twice now. Both times it has been a beast of a yeast!

In my fridges at home there's a gladfield pils / pacifica smash and just another APA

In my friends fridges we have a double batch of my pirate XPA and triple batch of English IPA both at FG and dry hopping before CC .

This weekend I'm planning on rye IPA and a coopers pale clone for comps and an american amber triple batch also for comps .

Hey Otto I finally got that red of yours brewed and bottled and by all reports its a very tasty drop indeed ....I gifted that cube out and yet to taste it so they better save me some

Water, with some added sodium percarbonate at the moment. I kegged the SNPA clone batch earlier and with the moving happening next Saturday I'm not putting any more in to ferment until that's finished. I have no wort ready anyway, so I'll have to do a brew day the following weekend or something lol. Will have to work out a way of hoisting the bag without drilling hooks into the timber above wherever I brew too.

I'm allowing the brew fridge to air out over the next week, and will give it a wipe clean inside as well on one of the days. I'm also hopefully gonna end up emptying the two kegs that are still on tap, so they're out of the way before the move as well.

It's been a bit difficult trying to balance doing brew days with spending time with SWMBO up until now since we've only had weekends to see each other, but once we're moved I'll be able to do them on weekends whenever I want instead of stockpiling 3 or 4 cubes worth in a few days.

Cheers

Kelsey

An updated version of my Red Ale...

Rambunctious Red Ale

(partial mash)

1 x Coopers OS lager

1.8kg GF Ale Malt

400g GF Aurora Malt

200g GF Shepherds Delight

200g GF Red Back

300g Sugar

10g Waimea (20 mins)

25g Southern Cross (30min steep)

5g Gypsum

1/2 x campden tablet

1 x pkt Coopers Ale, 1 x pkt Coopers Ale/Lager yeasts

OG=1.047 | EBC=32 | IBU=30.8 | ABV=4.9%

Citra Chinook IPA brewed 29/7/17

Coopers Lager can

Coopers LLME

500g LDME

White sugar 400g

Cararye 200g

Chinook 35g 20minutes

Citra 40g 10 minutes

IBUs 55ish

OG 1.059

FG 1.010

6.4%ABV

1.4 litre starter of West Yorky 1469

Pitched at 28 degC

Fridge set to 18.5degC

Will dry hop or keg hop 30g of each Citra and Chinook

Keg hopped my last 2 batches and really like the freshness it gives to the beer

Strong Chocolate Stout

Coopers Irish Stout

Coopers DLME can

150g Chocolate malt

LDME 500g

White sugar 400g

Goldings 25g 5 minutes

IBUs 55

OG 1.060

FG 1.010

6.5%ABV

1.4 litre of Nottingham

Pitched at 28 degC

Fridge set to 18.5 degC

Hope the Chocolate malt isn't too much with all the dark malts in the recipe already.

Ian H's spreadsheet puts the FG's quite a bit higher, but the last 2 batches have finished at 1.011/1.010

Cheers

James

First Enigma hop based brew is pumping along nicely atm. The very light malt grist I created for this brew is a little strange for me to observe, but will be good to watch as it clears post-fermentation.

I went back to a very commercial-like brew schedule because I actually want a lower hopped & flavoured beer than I would usually brew.

The end balance is one of the most interesting parts about this particular brew for me.

Time will tell. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Hi All,

My latest brew has been brewing away for 6 days.

Coopers Brew A IPA

1.5kg LDM

300g caramalt

250g Light Crystal

15g each of Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe @10mins and then dry hop the same

MJ M42/Kit yeast Re-hydrated

Fridge set for 18.

Cheers,

Hoppy

Good to hear the red ale is a winner mate! If they don't save any I guess you can always brew it again and keep it all to yourself tongue. Which yeast was it fermented with?

Whoops ! , missed this post

That batch was a mistake in that he got the wrong cube so only had a 1.25 l starter of 1272 on hand but had already opened cube so no going back .

After tasting it i'll be doing another batch for sure but with 1469 instead and won't dry hop it as heavily as i did that one

My Centennial pils is definitely ready to bottle' date=' but unfortunately my kitchen won't be ready for it until Wednesday or Thursday this week ...[/quote']

Well the in-laws have come and gone, but unfortunately my poor neglected pils is still in my fermenter (tomorrow it will have been in there for 4 weeks). Last Tuesday night at basketball I did a pretty good job of damaging one of the muscles in my core after getting just the wrong bump from the defence while turning the corner on a drive. So I'm still having a lot of trouble just getting around at the moment, even with some pretty decent painkillers and anti-inflammatories. At least my brother-in-law was able to lift the fermenter to a bottling spot for me, where it is sitting covered at the moment.

Kiwi Bitter

(Partial Mash)

1.50 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt 40.5 %

0.30 kg Gladfield Dark Crystal Malt 8.1 %

0.20 kg Gladfield Biscuit Malt 5.4 %

1.70 kg Coopers (OS) Lager 45.9 %

10g Waimea - Boil 15.0 min

25g Southern Cross - FO

25g Southern Cross - Dry Hop 2 Days

1 pkg Nottingham

| OG=1.042 | ABV=4.2% | EBC=20 | IBU=27.5 |

My current brew has been in the fermenter for almost 7 days. FG has been reached @ 1.011. Very happy about that, & the Coopers Commercial Ale yeast strain has done a great job (as usual). cool

The colour is really light & just what I was looking for with this brew. Added the dry hop & will leave that until Sunday, where I will then begin cold crashing the beer in readiness for kegging at some point later next week.

The use of the Fortnight & Enigma hops in this brew combined with a light malted grist is a tester for what I might look to brew in higher rotation during the Summer months.

It's meant to be a session thirst quencher I can slam down, but has some flavour to it. Fingers crossed it hits the marks I'm looking for.

Cheers,

Lusty.