Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2017

FF goes well in APA style beers from what I've read.

My Ace of Spades porter reached FG probably Friday night or early Saturday morning, and yesterday I dropped the STC down to 0C for a week long cold crash. It's currently sitting at just over 3C and I suspect the mini heatwave we've had is responsible for the fridge taking its time chilling it.

Anyway, the FG was 1.0142, so a little lower than predicted but no big deal. OG was 1.0596, resultant ABV is 5.9%. This will be kegged next Monday and spend about 4-5 months in the keg before being tapped, and on the Tuesday my English style ale using home made crystal malt will go in to be fermented.

Cheers

Kelsey

Black rock Pilsner Blonde

1kg of Premium light spray malt

20g Cascde @ 15mins

20g Amarillo @ 10mins

300g Dextrose

In the fridge brewing away at 18, 9 days in and it smells sooooo good :)

Not sure whether to dry hop and cold crash which i have never done either ?

Cheers,

Hoppy

Happy days!!!

After running out over the Christmas break, my supplies are now making a come back. Last night I bottled 30 bottles of Golden Ale (Summer Ale) and 30 bottles of American Pale Ale. Along with my barley wine and oatmeal stout, I now have around 85-odd bottles sitting in the conditioning/fermenting fridge.

Will brew up a Hefeweizen in the next few days, and with a little rearranging will get that fermentor in there also.

20170214_203618.jpg

Been friggin flat out but managed to put a Bohemian Pilsner with MJ84 yeast starter into the fermenter on Monday. Hoping to start D rest tomorrow as I'm away for 5 days from tomorrow. Showed the missus how to change the temp on my controller just in case.

Also Otto your Devils Squaw Red Ale was a smash at the Superbowl Party I held. Mighty fine drop which I think will become a regular.

Cheers

Greg

That's awesome to hear mate! That beer seems to be a hit with everyone who brews it, which is a pretty nice feeling happy It's a regular brew of mine as well; I'll have to brew it again myself on the next round of 3 batches, it's been a while since I brewed it with trying out hops in pale ales and brewing an English ale with home made crystal.

FV#1 still has The Coopers ROTM - 'Pacific Summer Ale'

Good job it's nearly ready as Keg #1 blew last night!

And last night into FV#2 went Coopers ROTM 'Celebration Ale'

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract

500g Dextrose

Safale us-05 Yeast

Dry hopping next Friday with:

25g Nelson Sauvin Hop Pellets

25g Centennial Hop Pellets

I have a mate and his Wife visiting in three weeks time and staying for 10 days so I may have to get FV#3 going later today especially as I know Keg #2 will Blow today! devil

I currently have a nice little Falconer's Flight/Centennial hopped pale ale sitting at ambient temps. I just added the dry hops to this a short while ago.

My Nelson Sauvin/Cascade hopped "Enterprising Lager" is in the brew fridge sitting @ 10.5°C & appears to be fermenting away nicely with a thin but solid krausen on top. happy

I'll leave the lager for another 4 days or so then remove it from the brew fridge to finish out under ambient conditions as part of the diacetyl rest process. The Falconer's Flight brew will then go back into the brew fridge to cold condition for a few days in readiness for kegging later in the week.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yesterday the porter was kegged and today the next batch was put in to ferment. This one is an English style ale using my own home made crystal grains as the only malt other than base malt (except some acid malt). I got 25 litres into the FV, at an OG of 1.0478 giving me an overall efficiency of 77.9%, continuing my consistent run above 75%.

It is being fermented with 7th generation 1469 yeast, at 19C. It was pitched at 29C which wasn't my preference but had to be done. I have a random week of shifts at work this week starting at 12.30/1pm, instead of my usual broken shifts. Normally on a broken shift I would stick the cube in the brew fridge on my way out to work, so it can chill for the few hours I'm there and be closer to pitching temp when I come home in my break to get it all done. However, I wasn't getting up at 5am if I didn't need to so the wort stayed at room temp. It is in the fridge coming down though, so it will not be up there for very long.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this batch turns out with the home made crystal on its own in the malt bill, I have used home made stuff before but it was in conjunction with other grains so I don't really know how it truly tasted in the beer.

Cheers

Kelsey

Today my fermenter is a 2 litre, green ceramic pitcher. I'm usually a proponent of small batches, but this one takes the cake!

After harvesting the hops for my Wethopmeister fresh wort kit (which tastes really nice BTW, just like the beer on tap at the brewpub but even hoppier), there were some straggling cones left that weren't ready. I finally ended up harvesting them today, a paltry 23g in total, but with nice aroma. Wondering what to do with them, I decided to use them in a 1.5 litre batch of a lowish gravity hop-burst pale ale. So I did a 15 minute boil with 150g light dry malt for a fermenter volume of roughly 1.75 litres.

Then there was the problem of yeast. Not having any brewer's yeast on hand, I thought I would have to resort to a wild ferment, and the idea of yeast on the skin of fruit hit me. Unfortunately the nectarine tree is struggling to produce any fruit, the 3 apples I got off the tree have been in the fridge for weeks and there are no ripe kumquats in sight yet. I had a whole bunch of nectarines and plums from the market in the crisper, but who knows what treatment they might have gone through. So I resorted to pitching some WLP002 dregs of my English IPA (which is also tasting beautiful BTW). I fed them with a dextrose solution for about 8 hours, then got bored and pitched it into the main wort. If I don't get any activity in a day or two I'll leave the pitcher uncovered overnight under the nectarine tree and see what comes to dinner.

See what happens I guess! I'll get 3 x 500ml bottles of something in the end. The wort tasted nice, I was surprised how much bitterness I got out of 23g of wet hops in only a 15 minute boil. Plenty of hop flavour too.

Cheers,

John

My home made crystal malt English style ale is underway as of an hour or so ago when I looked at it. Judging by the small height of the krausen I suspect the lag time was around 18-20 hours. I'll take a progress sample as per usual procedure on Friday and see where it's at, this will be 3 days post pitching, and 2 days of actual fermentation. If it's in the 1.020s I'll let it rise to 22C.

This is what's in my fermenter at the moment. Aiming for an easy drinking , mid range ABV summer ale. Brew went perfect , and the wyeast 1272 is a darn beast! Was spewing Krausen out of the blowoff tube in less than 24 hours.

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 55.6 %

2.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 37.0 %

0.25 kg Caramalt Malt - 55L (Bairds) (108.3 EBC) Grain 3 4.6 %

0.15 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 4 2.8 %

15.00 g Galaxy [13.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 15.2 IBUs

15.00 g Motueka [7.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 8.8 IBUs

0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 7 -

0.48 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -

14.00 g Galaxy [13.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.7 IBUs

14.00 g Motueka [7.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.7 IBUs

30.00 g Galaxy [13.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 11 3.0 IBUs

30.00 g Motueka [7.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 12 1.7 IBUs

1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272)

25.00 g Galaxy [13.70 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Motueka [7.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Est IBU 36

Est ABV 4.7%

Have just switched places with the two brews I have on the go atm. I've taken the Budvar lager fermented brew out of the brew fridge after 7 days fermenting @ 10.5°C. The yeast looks to have done a good job thus far as the gravity reading I took is currently 1.016. Middle attenuation for this yeast is 73%, so FG is aimed at 1.015 for my brew. I'll leave it out at ambient for the next week for the diacetyl rest component, & will dry hop in a further few days before beginning the cold conditioning phase.

At the same time I slipped the Falconer's Flight hopped pale ale back in the brew fridge to crash chill, & will likely keg this on Monday. happy

I've trimmed the front hedge, so now just some lunch & then settle back for a few beers. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

And I've got a krausen going! I did add some extra bottle dregs in to help things along ... so now there is a combo of WLP002, US-05 and Coopers Commercial ale yeast. Yesterday afternoon t was basically pour a beer, then pour the dregs into the 'fermenter' a few times. It's at ambient temperature in a cool-ish cupboard ... will be a laugh to see what comes out in the end biggrin

Good work getting the gardening out the way Lusty, I did my trimming at 7am to beat the heat. Came back in for coffee rather than a few beers though!

This is what's in my fermenter at the moment. Aiming for an easy drinking ' date=' mid range ABV summer ale.[/quote']

Sounds really nice, what was the batch size (end of boil volume)? Just trying to get a feel for the hopping rates. Motueka / Galaxy is a great combo, although I wonder how much you'll notice the Motueka at a 1:1 ratio given how potent Galaxy is.

So my imperial stout is working away, albeit slowly. OG was at 1078 and now down to 1026 over the course of a week. Hoping it will keep working its way down to under 1020, but I'll recheck the gravity on sunday and pitch some more yeast if it hasn't moved, as it should drop 50 gravity points just from the DME, never mind the malt grains, dark sugar and molasses. I pitched 2 11g packs of rehydrated S-04 which in retrospect should have probably been 3 packs.

The rogers clone is likewise working away and has just slowed down. 1036 down to 1011 over about 4 days. Hoping this will get to under 1010. Tasted it yesterday and I think I've over done it with the dark crystal annoyed but I'm sure I'll drink it anyway wink

Next up is going to be a slight variation on the big island ipa ... only being a variation so I can use my left over dregs of the pale ale tin and amber malt extract smile

If it's got dark crystal in it, 1.011 may be as far as it drops. I would have pitched 3 packets in to the stout too, but it may well still reach FG anyway. Try raising the temp a bit depending on what the temp is, should help it finish off a bit.

Checked the SG of the currently fermenting batch posted on the last page, and it is down to approx. 1.024 from the OG of about 1.048. This is 3 days after pitching the yeast, and about 2 days after fermentation properly began so I will allow the temperature to rise up to 22C now, and I expect it will hit FG which is predicted at 1.014, either tomorrow or the next day. I'll check the SG again next Tuesday and Thursday (after 7 and 9 days), and most likely begin the CCing on Thursday and keg it the week after. I have noticed the FG with 1469 does seem to be a tad lower than the Beersmith prediction so it may drop to 1.012-13.

I've started seeing the benefits of oxygenation of the wort prior to pitching yeast now that I've got the process down pat, the lag times are a bit longer than when I didn't do it due to the yeast using up the extra O2 but the fermentations are quicker and the beers are tasting bloody excellent.

Cheers

Kelsey

Currently have the following ready to be bottled tomorrow.

Recipe: Bravo/Citra Pale

Brewer: Maurice

Asst Brewer:

Style: American Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 32.12 l

Post Boil Volume: 27.27 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Bottling Volume: 21.60 l

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

Estimated Color: 11.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 35.2 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 70.2 %

1.10 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 2 19.3 %

0.30 kg Carafoam (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 5.3 %

0.30 kg White Wheat Malt (4.7 EBC) Grain 4 5.3 %

15.00 g Bravo [15.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 23.6 IBUs

20.00 g Bravo [15.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 6.3 IBUs

20.00 g Citra [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 5.3 IBUs

10.00 g Bravo [15.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

23.00 g Bravo [15.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Citra [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Samples taste good. Needed to use up the Bravo and have used the combo in the hop bomb craft recipe.

This is what's in my fermenter at the moment. Aiming for an easy drinking ' date=' mid range ABV summer ale.[/quote']

Sounds really nice, what was the batch size (end of boil volume)? Just trying to get a feel for the hopping rates. Motueka / Galaxy is a great combo, although I wonder how much you'll notice the Motueka at a 1:1 ratio given how potent Galaxy is.

I end up with 26 litres at end of boil/steep/immersion chill. I lose about 2 litres or so to trub so whats left goes into the fermenter.

Yes I was wondering if the Galaxy would be a little too much for the Motueka. I used Motueka a fair while ago and having flowers available at my LHBS seemed too good an opportunity to pass up. I may end up doing a majority of it in the dry hop because I just love the aroma.