Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2017

Hi guys, I figured the new year probably deserved a new thread as with the brew day and in the glass threads.

I'll kick off mine with the same batch that was in there at the end of last year, being the Simcoe pale ale. It was dry hopped on NYE, before the temp controller was dropped to 0C on Monday. Isinglass was added last night, and Polyclar will be added tomorrow some time, before it is kegged on Tuesday.

Cheers

Kelsey

FV #1

Currently cold crashing a Pacific Ale in my 10L FV,

Australian Pale Ale (1/2 tin)

500gm LDM

200gm Dextrose

45gm Galaxy

250gm LDM in a 2.5L boil

10gm Galaxy @ 30 min

10gm Galaxy @ 10 min

10gm Galaxy @ 0 min

15gm Galaxy @ cold crash

[/Quote]

FV #2

Have had the cider on since 28th December

6L Golden Circle Apple Juice

4L Golden Circle Apple and Raspberry Juice

500gm Brew Enhancer 1

200gm Lactose

Saflager W34/70

FV #3

Leaking tap.....

I thought something looked really odd about this thread - then realised it had been brought into this year !

Nice work Kelsey !

Nothing much to be proud of , however :

FV1 :- barley wine from a tin bought cheap because it was out of date.

FV3 :- Faux Heineken from extract / saaz / nottingham.

FV4 :- Muntons golden Ale bought cheap because it was out of date.

Am I now officially a cheapskate ?

(FV2 has been retired)

This is what's in my fermenter at the moment. What I'm hoping will be a tasty APA. And it will be a special beer either way - it will be my first kegged beer. biggrin

Smells and tastes fantastic so far , only brewed it on Monday so still very young but the aroma coming out of my brewbucket is delicious. That first ever beer from the keg will be a momentous occasion methinks. tongue

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.70 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.0 EBC) Grain 1 90.5 %

0.40 kg Caramalt Malt - 55L (Bairds) (108.3 EBC) Grain 2 6.3 %

0.20 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 3 3.2 %

7.00 g Calypso [13.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 9.5 IBUs

7.00 g Mosaic [13.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 9.9 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -

17.00 g Calypso [13.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 11.9 IBUs

17.00 g Mosaic [13.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 12.3 IBUs

25.00 g Calypso [13.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 9 1.3 IBUs

25.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 10 1.3 IBUs

25.00 g Mosaic [13.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 11 1.4 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast

30.00 g Calypso [13.30 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

30.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic [13.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 %

Bitterness: 47.5 IBUs

Est Color: 16.0 EBC

FV1 Morgans Cortes Mexican Cerveza nearly done

FV2 TPW ready now for stilling

FV3 TPW ready now for stilling

FV4 Empty but will have IPA on the weekend.

FV1 Now empty

FV2 Cooper Brew A IPA with 5 grams Mosaic pellets

FV3 TPW ready for stilling

FV4 Coopers Brew A IPA

It will be interesting to see if I can tell the difference (taste and aroma) of the 2 IPA's

Just took an SG of my Bright Ale, 1.009. This gives me a ABV of 4.4%. I have now dropped the temperature in the brew fridge to 2 degrees - doubt it will get there - for a cold crash.

Grabbed a healthy sample for the hydro test and now I'm looking at a coffee glass of a 2.6 week old 22 degree Bright Ale. On tasting this has the potential to be my greatest beer ever. if that is so then perhaps it's not a Pirate Life for me bandit

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

...On tasting this has the potential to be my greatest beer ever.

The man' date=' the statement...[/size']

Sunday' date=' October 28, 2012 10:21 PM[/b']

Anyway you shouldn't use your best beer ever as your nickname… especially when its only brew #7. I have done another 30 best ever brews since then.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:12 PM

The challenge now is to save a bottle or two from a great brew such as the LCPA clone, Mornington Pale Ale or the next best beer ever that I come up with. Mission Impossible.

Friday, December 14, 2012 6:25 PM

...more than likely in another month or so it will be “my best brew ever”.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 11:16 AM

...As you can see from my links below this was my best brew ever.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 7:38 PM

However this Styx River Pale won't make it past next week the way it's going. Therefore I now proclaim it as my best brew ever

Saturday, June 01, 2013 12:55 PM

...That if my Brew Day!!Whatcha' got? includes a swag of hops then I'm a big chance of producing my best brew eva.

Sunday, October 13, 2013 2:44 PM

...Interesting it was brew #25 and the English Bitter 4.0 became my best brew ever

Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:45 PM

Perhaps I shouldn't have brewed so many “Best Brew Ever” in my early days, I may have set the bar way too high

Saturday, November 01, 2014 5:54 PM

Squire's Bitter now I'm going out on a limb here and claiming this as one of my “best beers ever”.

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 8:22 AM

...my inspiration is to make the best beer ever...

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:35 PM

When I brewed mine it was bottled at day 10 and after just two weeks in the bottle I thought it was the best beer I had ever tasted.

...ahh the memories. tonguelol

Worn out "Best beer ever" & moved onto "greatest beer ever"? tonguebiggrin

Good on ya Scottie! smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Have absolutely massacred my beer reserves over the holiday season and being time poor at the moment have put down two kit brews to catch up. Took advantage of the Big W special on Coopers kits (16 down to 12.80) and picked up 4 tins

#1 - APA kit. 800gm Dry Malt. 200gm Dextrose. 15gm POR Hop Tea for 10 mins and 100gm carapils steep. CCA Yeast 2L Starter @ 18c

#2 - Coopers Blonde Kit. 700gm Dry Malt. 300gm Dextrose. 15gm Cascade Hop Tea for 10 mins and 100gm Carapils steep. US-05 1L Starter @ 18c but being on the bottom of the ferm fridge probably around 20c

While I love my all grain brews Kits still have there place for me when a crisis hits :-)

I just tipped my XXXX Bitter rip off in to the fermenter and pitched the 2042 Danish Lager yeast into it. I managed to get 27.5 litres into the fermenter this time around, with very little cold break in there as well. With an OG of 1.0407, this gave me an overall efficiency of 83.4%, easily my highest ever.

The wort was oxygenated for 2 and a half minutes via the O2 cylinder before the yeast was pitched. It's currently in the brew fridge coming down to the set 12C, from around 22C when it went in. I would have preferred lower but it's better than ambient at this time of year. I'll have a look at it before I go to bed tonight but I am not expecting to see any visible signs of activity until some time tomorrow.

Cheers

Kelsey

This stupid thing finally got off its arse and started fermenting earlier this evening, pretty much about 48 hours after pitching the yeast. I expect the extra oxygen in the wort is responsible for these longer lag times as the yeast will use it up first, before getting on with the fermentation side of things.

I'll take a gravity sample on Monday, which will be 4 days of active fermentation (6 days since pitching), and see how it's progressing. I expect it will be ready to be raised up for the D-rest by then.

Cheers

Kelsey

My first brew of the year, and third ever is a bit of an experiment.

I went and made a mix of a few recipes in the craft section as I have the little 10L craft fermenter.

I have falconers flight hops, and a can of LP IPA so I went and modified this recipe, Batman and Robin.

I boiled 250g of briess Pale Ale liquid malt extract, and 500ml of water for 10 minutes with 16g of Falconers Flight, cooled it and added to fermenter, added the can of LP IPA, and then filled to 8.5L with Adelaide tap water put though a puratap, and sprinkled Bry-97 yeast on top. Initial gravity of 1.052

I'm adding another 10g of hops in a few days in a hop bag.

The extract designer spread sheet thought it might be a bit off, but I have previously made this recipe, substituitng the hops with Hallertau hops and "mr beer pale extract" with no issues.

Anyone have thoughts on this recipe?

Put this Timothy Taylors Landlord knock off down yesterday for the eighth time now. This is one of my favourites and always have one on keg and regard this as my house ale. I'm trying a couple of different mash schedules now to see if there is a difference from my simple 65-66-67ºC infusion with a 78ºC mash out.

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) Water Agent 1 -

6.00 g Calcium Chloride Water Agent 2 -

2.00 g Magnesium Sulphate Water Agent 3 -

4.90 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcet Grain 4 97.0 %

0.15 kg Crystal Malt Dark Bairds 260 EBC (260.0 Grain 5 3.0 %

35.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.0 IBUs

0.5 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -

27.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 15 mins Hop 8 5.3 IBUs

40.00 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Steep/Whirlp Hop 9 5.8 IBUs

1.0 pkg West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule:

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time

Mash In Add 23.24 l of water 35.0 C 0 min

Acid rest Heat to 42.0 C 15 min

Protein rest Heat to 55.0 C 10 min

Beta rest Heat to 63.0 C 60 min

Alpha rest Heat to 72.0 C 15 min

Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C 15 min

And I've got this one below mashing today as I write. A Cascade/Galaxy APA. This is the first time I'm trying 1272 yeast.

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

10.00 g (Calcium Sulfate) Water Agent 1 -

4.00 g Calcium Chloride Water Agent 2 -

2.00 g Magnesium Sulphate Water Agent 3 -

4.22 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcet Grain 4 86.0 %

0.29 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118 Grain 5 6.0 %

0.25 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 6 5.0 %

0.15 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 7 3.0 %

10.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 13.0 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 5.9 IBUs

20.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 15.0 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 11 -

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 Hop 12 3.0 IBUs

20.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 Hop 13 7.5 IBUs

1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 14 -

Mash Schedule:

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time

Mash In Add 23 l 36.0 C 0 min

Acid rest Heat to 42.0 C 15 min

Protein rest Heat to 55.0 C 15 min

Beta rest Heat to 63.0 C 90 min

Alpha rest Heat to 72.0 C 15 min

Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C 15 min

My first brew of the year' date=' and third ever is a bit of an experiment.

I went and made a mix of a few recipes in the craft section as I have the little 10L craft fermenter.

I have falconers flight hops, and a can of LP IPA so I went and modified this recipe, Batman and Robin.

I boiled 250g of briess Pale Ale liquid malt extract, and 500ml of water for 10 minutes with 16g of Falconers Flight, cooled it and added to fermenter, added the can of LP IPA, and then filled to 8.5L with Adelaide tap water put though a puratap, and sprinkled Bry-97 yeast on top. Initial gravity of 1.052

The extract designer spread sheet thought it might be a bit off, but I have previously made this recipe, substituitng the hops with Hallertau hops and "mr beer pale extract" with no issues.

The recipe looks fine, but in future you might want to boil the malt in about 10 times its weight in water rather than only 500mL.

My first brew of the year' date=' and third ever is a bit of an experiment.

The recipe looks fine, but in future you might want to boil the malt in about 10 times its weight in water rather than only 500mL.

Ah ok, I will modify my technique in future.

What difference would boiling the malt extract in a larger amount of water make? To have the hops less concentrated in the liquid for the boil?

The problem I am having is keeping the fermenter cool, thanks to to heat we have here in Adelaide at the moment, my pantry is getting warm. Some time in my kitchen sink with some ice bricks and convenient zooperdoopers is helping drop the temperature a few degrees, but it is still warmer than I like.

I am keeping a keen eye on gumtree for cheapo fridges and have a STC-1000 on order

Put down Lustys extract version of Kelseys Devils Squaw Red Ale yesterday, Recipe is as follows.....

1 Coopers light LME can

1kg LDM

280g CaraAroma

180g CaraPils

60g Roasted Barley

20g Cascade FWH 8%AA

22g Centennial 20 mins 9.3%AA

30g Cascade 10g Centennial dry hop 6 days before bottling

Nottingham dry yeast rehydrated at 30C pitched at 25C fermenting at 18C

22 litres

OG. 1.042

FG. ?

IBU. 35ish

ABV. ?

Reason for the extra 2g Centennial was simply to get the IBU up a little more and im dry hopping 10g simply to finish off the packet. Also used Nottingham instead of US05 just because that is what i had, anyway, hoping to get that lovely ruby red colour. One thing i did do wrong was i forgot to sparge my grains! Hope it doesnt affect it too much.